Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading at the moment?

The Brethren by John Grisham. A nice little yard-sale pickup that has drawn me in.

Just finished Rules of Attraction, Ellis, which sucked, and The Road, McCarthy, which was excellent - it's still in my head. Now reading some mystery thriller that's pretty well written.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Blog Entries

I have begun to read again Steven King's "Dark Tower" series. I have the collection in various editions. It's different each time I read it. Interesting. Probably a personality disorder...

4. Default

I'm reading a book on Abe Saffron, Australian underworld figure and all around shifty guy.

5. Default

The Yankee Years by Joe Torre & Tom Verducci

I just got back from the library with a big ol' stack of books. I think first I'm going to read Starship Titanic. It's an idea of Douglas Adams' that Terry Jones (of monty python fame) took and developed into a short novel.
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

I just started John Grisham's "The Broker". I picked up 6 of his books at a flea market for cheap.

The Kite Runner.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    The Kite Runner.
    Good book. There were times that I laughed, cried, and threw the book across the room, swearing off reading and humans altogether. I went so far as to buy Thousand Splendid Suns, but never got around to reading it. I'd be interested to hear what you think of that one, and more in particular, what you think of him as a writer.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Good book. There were times that I laughed, cried, and threw the book across the room, swearing off reading and humans altogether. I went so far as to buy Thousand Splendid Suns, but never got around to reading it. I'd be interested to hear what you think of that one, and more in particular, what you think of him as a writer.
    Cool, I'm having to borrow it from my gf when she's not reading it - we're in a book club (The Dirty Book Club), and rather than buy two copies . . . she should be done with it this w/e, then I can finish it. I'll post up when I finish it next week.

I forgot to post one I read a couple of weeks ago from one of my favorite authors - John Irving's Widow For One Year. I've read about half of his books and this is my 2nd fav behind Cider House Rules. Damn now this guy can write.

Next up: The Electric Koolaid Acid Test, by Tom Wolfe. It's my turn to pick for the club and I've never read this guy.
    - Tom Robbins

My sister sent me Joker One for my birthday. ITs about one platoon leaders experience while leading marines in Ramadhi.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Good military book: The Things They Carried.
    I am loving: Post Office -- Bukowski

Got Fight? by Forrest Griffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkdyr View Post
    Good military book: The Things They Carried.
    I am loving: Post Office -- Bukowski
    I remember reading The Things They Carried in HS. I wasn't really thrilled by it then, but then again, nothing in HS really thriled me. I think it was the whole "You must read this book" attitude of the teachers.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

just finished the life of John Wesley Harding by Harding himself if any of you guys from TeXes want to read it send me a pm, pretty good read

Dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Blog Entries

Half-way through The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Great so far!
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Ok, I'm gonna go out on a limb here. IMO, this was just another feel-good, Oprah's pick type book. I didn't like the overall feel of the story. For one thing, the author seems way to preoccupied with what he believes the reader wants, instead of just letting the story be told;many parts of the story seemed contrived, and the author's writing was dishonest. You might could just chalk that up to the fact that he's not writing in his first language, but I doubt it.

Also, the whole damn thing is a sham because the protagonist never learns his lesson - he was always and remained guilt-driven and never realized altruism - and the author tries to pass this off as self-reconciliation. I call BS.

Cultural differences? Nah - Writers from Rumi to Gibran to Rushdie all understood self-actualization. It is something that cuts across all cultures. This writer failed to capture it, probably because for whatever reason he doesn't understand it. And, I think he's a hack to boot.

I know it's a best seller and a lot of people liked it, but a lot of people like TV too.
    Last edited by basil; 06-27-2009 at 02:13 AM.
    - Tom Robbins

finshing up Big Sur by my fav Kerouac

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin

Highly recommended

Survivor-Chuck Palahniuk (The guy who wrote fight club)

Amazing book, even more amazing writer. This guy is deep.

Thread Information