Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody44 View Post
    The Tommyknockers is one of the few King books I have yet to read. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying A Song of Ice and Fire, I'm curious to hear what you think of the fifth book, when you finish.
    I wasn't all that impressed by Tommyknockers. In fact, I didn't enjoy it at all and if memory serves me, I didn't even finish it. I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

I already completely read the Fire and Ice series a year or so back. I'm about half way through book 5 and enjoying it every bit as much as the others.

I'll be starting The Hunger Games as soon as I've finished. Wifely just completed it and said it was well worth a read. Since her taste and mine coincide a lot, I'll definitely give them a go.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

2. Default

Currently I am in the middle of 3 books. I am rereading "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn, a great philosophy type book about mankind that I would recommend to anyone. Shows another perspective about how we live our lives and is a real easy read.
    The 2nd book I am reading is "Insomnia" by Stephen King. I am a HUGE Stephen King fan, especially his Dark Tower Series and the books relating to that series (like Insomnia.) If anyone is interested in starting a long epic tale, go pick up "The Gunslinger." It is the first of 8 books in Stephen King's series and then there are about 6 other really important books that relate to this epic. Stephen King is a goddamn genius. There's even an order to read all of his books in.
    The 3rd book I am reading is "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. If you are interested in astronomy and space, it is a very good book that explains a lot of cool topics in layman's terms.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSpencer View Post
    LMAO

I love Feynman! I'm currently re-reading Six Easy Pieces.
    Feynman's "Six Easy Pieces" is actually next on my list to read. I bought the book, just waiting to finish "The Elegant Universe" first.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett89 View Post
    Currently I am in the middle of 3 books. I am rereading "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn, a great philosophy type book about mankind that I would recommend to anyone. Shows another perspective about how we live our lives and is a real easy read.
    The 2nd book I am reading is "Insomnia" by Stephen King. I am a HUGE Stephen King fan, especially his Dark Tower Series and the books relating to that series (like Insomnia.) If anyone is interested in starting a long epic tale, go pick up "The Gunslinger." It is the first of 8 books in Stephen King's series and then there are about 6 other really important books that relate to this epic. Stephen King is a goddamn genius. There's even an order to read all of his books in.
    The 3rd book I am reading is "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. If you are interested in astronomy and space, it is a very good book that explains a lot of cool topics in layman's terms.
    Couldn't agree with you more. He has brought me hours of entertainment.
    "It was a pleasure to burn." - Ray Bradbury

Couldn't agree with you more. He has brought me hours of entertainment.
    Days would probably be a better description if you've read even a fraction of his writings. I still contend that Richard Bachman is a better novelist. "The Talisman" anyone...c'mon. You know Richard carried the load on that one.

Yeah, days is certainly the case. I have actually yet to read The Talisman or Black House.

The Martian Chronicles. Ray Bradbury passed away earlier this month, and it is one of the few remaining books I haven't read by him.

Just finished rereading the 3 Sandman Slim novels by Richard Kadrey in preparation for the release of the 4th in a month or so.

Now I'm reading Kadrey's Butcher Bird

"Outliers" - by Malcolm Gladwell. Mr. Gladwell's analysis on what makes the successful so successful. Fascinating read.

Not that I'm the ultimate critic (the book was on the NY Times best seller list), but I HIGHLY recommend it...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    "Outliers" - by Malcolm Gladwell. Mr. Gladwell's analysis on what makes the successful so successful. Fascinating read.

Not that I'm the ultimate critic (the book was on the NY Times best seller list), but I HIGHLY recommend it...
    I loved Outliers. Another good book in the same general field is Freakonomics.

I loved Outliers. Another good book in the same general field is Freakonomics.
    "Blink" is next...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    "Blink" is next...
    I've only ever read Outliers. You'll have to let me know how blink is, because I actually really enjoy the way he writes. I don't find myself reading a lot of non-fiction (with the exception of History).

Currently reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi. After reading Ender's Game I wanted to keep going with Sci-fi for a bit.
    I'm also inching my way through A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.
    And on my commute I'm listening to A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

Next up I'll either continue with the Old Man's War trilogy or hop into 1491.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

I loved both Ender's Game and Old Man's War.

I'm trying to get into both The Pencil by Henry Petroski and The Road To Serfdom by Friedrich Hayek.
    imnotpete.com (tech/general blog)
    ink.imnotpete.com (creative blog)

Finished Butcher Bird (excellent book) and figured I'd read an old friend again so I'm rereading the original Dragonriders of Pern trilogy and will finish up with All the Weyrs of Pern

Rick Hacker's "Ultimate Cigar Book" and a neat book about the history of Atlantic City called "Boardwalk of Dreams"...

I'm working on "Wittgenstein's Poker" by David Edmonds and John Eidinow.
    imnotpete.com (tech/general blog)
    ink.imnotpete.com (creative blog)

I'm still waiting on the next Sandman Slim novel to be released.....any day now!

In the meantime, I'm reading another old friend, Shogun by James Clavell.

I actually just read this a couple months ago but got the itch after buying and reading A Brief History of the Samurai (A New History of the Warrior Elite), by Jonathan Clements. I found that one on sale for $6 at a book store in the big city a few weeks back. It was an interesting read on the general history of the Samurai caste, how it rose and fell. Interestingly enough, the novel Shogun is loosely based on actual events in history. Of course Clavell fictionalized the story but the main plot is taken from history....which I thought was kind of cool (hadn't known that before) and made me want to read Shogun again......LOL

Just started The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter Thompson. I don't know why I bought this book. I'm beginning to think I like the idea of HST more than I like his writing. And I'm too young to give a fuck about Richard Nixon.

Blog Entries

We're reading Robin Hood...again.

Previously, we finished up Conrad Richter's ~ The Town

I really liked this book.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information