Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading at the moment?

How To Be A Gentleman. I got it at Jos. A Bank. Apperantly, I'm not a Gentleman. The whole thing about not 'using my horn indiscriminately' sort of DQ's me from it, though it could be argued that i use it to 'avert disaster'
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Recently finished up...

The Lonesome Dove series of books
    Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee
    Understanding Exposure
    The Digital Photography Book Vol.1 and 2

Now up, Hard Landing.

3. Default

currently i am reading the electric koolaid acid test and also The Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Jminnich500 View Post
    currently i am reading the electric koolaid acid test and also The Hunter
    ah, good ole Ken Kessey and the Merry Pranksters. Awesome read.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders View Post
    ah, good ole Ken Kessey and the Merry Pranksters. Awesome read.
    its my 2nd time reading it, it was kind of disturbing the first time i read it though.almost as bad as born on the fourth of july...two very good books though

Goldfinger
    End of line.

On vacation sitting next to the pool I read:

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
    The Cheese Monkeys by Chip Kidd
    Books of Blood by Clive Barker
    did some crossword puzzles too.

Blog Entries

Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road by Neil Peart pretty good book so far. It was written by Neil Peart, the drummer from Rush. It's about the transcontinental motorcycle ride he took after his wife and daughter died.

9. Default

Just finished Kite Runner, now reading The Templars

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road by Neil Peart pretty good book so far. It was written by Neil Peart, the drummer from Rush. It's about the transcontinental motorcycle ride he took after his wife and daughter died.
    Amazing book. Really cool too because I drive some of the roads he talks about in Saskatchewan and Northern Alberta.

Not a bad drummer either.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

just finished Straight from the gut, by Jack Welch. Recommended by my father. Good book, I learned lots until the end when you find out what his retirement package was when he left GE. What a criminal!
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Blog Entries

Of Human Bondage ~ W Somerset Maugham

Reading it outloud helps me follow it better, and seems to sooth the savage beast, that is my 1 year old daughter.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I am just about finished with The World is Flat, by Thomas Friedman. I realize this book is dated (in terms of Internet and globalization) but he sounds oddly and childishly fascinated with rather mundane tasks such as e-mail and where all the different parts of his laptop comes from. I just think he had his mind made up about several issues before he researched them, and spends the rest of the time of the book trying to convince himself that he's right. I'm on the last chapter, and it's worth finishing just because it's a long book.

I'm also reading This Incomplete One: Words Occasioned by the Death of a Young Person, editied by Michael D. Bush. This is a collection of eulogies and sermons given in light of death's of young people. A very close friend of mine passed away just before Christmas, and a family friend gave me this book.

Up Next: The Second World by Parag Khanna and I've been meaning to reread Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

After I finished Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk my wife handed me Duma Key while she works on You Suck by Christopher Moore.

I really enjoy Moore's stuff, but it's more light and funny then Chuck's stuff.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
    After I finished Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
    What did you think of Fight Club? I like the story, but the book didn't read very well (to me). I think he writes like a 5th grader.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    What did you think of Fight Club? I like the story, but the book didn't read very well (to me). I think he writes like a 5th grader.
    It was a good read, nothing spectacular, but a good read. It is an easy writing style, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say he writes like a 5th grader. He has gotten to be a better writer though, Fight Club was his first.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Matter by I.M.Banks, SF as usual. For the above I have enjoyed C Palahniuk in the past and think that his disjointed style fits his subject matter.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

New Testament. Just finished Matthew and about to move on to Mark. I have never actually sat down and read a gospel from start to finish. When I can block out all the chaos and house noise- Powerful stuff!
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

just finished" Midnight Express " by Billy Hayes pretty Heavy stuff but a lot different then the movie

Dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Blog Entries

I've been trying to find an old copy of The Art of War around here to read, but it seems like any bookstore I go to is either out, doesn't carry it, or in a few cases have never even heard of it. I'll have to check a couple of stores back home this weekend.

Thread Information