Thread: What's in the Garden?

Blog Entries

Default What's in the Garden?

Who grows a garden, and what ya got planted?
    I've got:
    2 types of Potatos
    Peas
    Green Beans
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    2 types of lettuce
    Onions
    3 types sweet peppers
    Jalapeno
    Habanero
    Corn
    Okra
    Watermelon
    Cantaloupe
    Cucumbers
    Tobacco

Here's a couple of photo's from this morning:

Blog Entries

I have some pequin chile plants that give some great little spicy chiles. Perfect for adding to salsa or other sauces. Just always want to remember to wash your hands thoroughly after harvesting. I had a bad experience once.

Wifey has basil and other herbs in pots. Tucson isn't great for a garden. Our soil is not good and the temps here are pretty rough.

Funny story: Last fall, Alina and I are eating some homemade pizza on the back patio on a nice romantic evening. She had put basil leaves on the pizza from her plant. Just as I'm taking a bite of the basil-covered pizza, Hogan nonchalantly walks over to the basil plant, lifts his leg, and gives it a good "watering".

I still give her a hard time about trying to poison me with urine-basil.
    Last edited by buzz; 06-06-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: I mean really, who can spell "nonchalantly" correctly without Google?
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Looks awesome Jamie! That's great you make such a large garden. A lot of work, but I'm sure it's worth it.

Another year for me not having the time to get the garden going. Probably not too late, but I see no available time to make it happen in the near future.

I do get to bury another fish in the garden today when I get home though. Found her suffering laying on the bottom of the pond last night, so I put her into quarantine. I think she was pregnant and having problems passing the eggs. Well, she was dead this morning. Sucks!!!! She's one we've had for about 10 years and really big and beautiful.

Blog Entries

When will the custom rolled ashauler cigars be available? Seriously, I would like to try one someday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    Looks awesome Jamie! That's great you make such a large garden. A lot of work, but I'm sure it's worth it.

Another year for me not having the time to get the garden going. Probably not too late, but I see no available time to make it happen in the near future.

I do get to bury another fish in the garden today when I get home though. Found her suffering laying on the bottom of the pond last night, so I put her into quarantine. I think she was pregnant and having problems passing the eggs. Well, she was dead this morning. Sucks!!!! She's one we've had for about 10 years and really big and beautiful.
    Damn sorry about the fish man! I'll be hitting you up for some pond building advice soon though!

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Damn sorry about the fish man! I'll be hitting you up for some pond building advice soon though!
    Thank you for the condolences. I realize most people don't see fish as a pet, but we do. Especially after so many years they really do become friendly and excited to see you. No comparison to dogs, but you'd be surprised. I'd enjoy chatting about a pond build, you have a great set up to build something awesome. It's a very cool hobby, and I think you would truly enjoy it.

Sorry to thread jack btw. I am very much interested in the progress of your small farm over there. It already looks great, I can't imagine when it takes off.

Blog Entries

Here's some of my shit from a couple weeks ago:

That's an Azalea that has been there since I bought the house. This is my artistic bonsai shot...

These are my tomato plant's that are giving me problems, and 4 pepper plants in the middle. They seem to be doing ok.

Here's a couple more. The one on the left as of today is about 1' higher than that cage you see. These are doing good compared to the others.

These are my pear trees. Bosc on the end, and Bartlett in the middle. This is their third year, and while growing like nuts, they have not budded or produced fruit yet.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Here's a dense spot. 3rd year Asparagus in the back. In front of them, 4 broccoli plants, and then 4 (if you can spot them) cucumber plants, and a lone tomato plant. Everyone here is growing slowly, but well. One cucumber plant is really taking off. Got a cucumber off it tonight, and harvested some broccoli the other week.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Very nice Will!!

These are about a week or a little more old. I'll take some new ones this weekend after I till the weeds in again.

Heirloom sweet corn. 6 total rows. The first 4 rows from the right of the frame are about 2 1/2 weeks older than the last two rows.

The row just to the right of the sprinkler is Okra...another heirloom. To the left of the Okra begins the tobacco patch. The first plants seen are about 3 weeks behind the taller plants to their left. It is a mixed bed of an ancient rustica, Walker broadleaf, CT broadleaf, and an oriental variety called Bafra. As far as the rustica goes, interesting, at least to me, is the growth habit of this plant. It grows much like a bush, and it's nicotine content is very high. For reference, typical cigar tobacco is roughly 2-5% nicotine content depending on the fermenting processes used, and the rustica is somewhere between 5-9%. Strong, strong, stuff. Might be fun. Or not. We'll see.

In the foreground here are 4 pepper plants. From the left - green sweet peppers / red-yellow sweet peppers / green sweet peppers.....just behind them and not seen well is a jalapeno and a habanero. They all appear to be doing very well and are putting on peppers to beat the band. Behind and just to the left of the peppers, the small green twiggy like things are carrots, 2 varieties, 4 rows. I'm disappointed in them, but it is most likely due to poor planting and watering on my part. Lesson learned. The tee-pee thing is green beans....as it the re-purposed windmill tower. The beans were all planted at 2 week intervals around the "trellises" over an 8 week period. Should have beans well into the summer/fall.

Beyond the carrots and to the left of the beans are 3 tomato plants. 1 early producer hybrid, 1 heirloom grape tomato, 1 heirloom large tomato. The potatoes are behind the tomatos and the peas are to the left of them. Both of these are gone now, potatoes in the basement and the peas have all been eaten. I was very disappointed in the production of the peas, and one of the varieties of potato that I planted. Peas were most likely my fault....potatoes not so much.

Blog Entries

The two spiky looking things in the very front of this bed are lettuce plants....too hot for them now in the day time, so they've been pulled now. I'll re-till and set this up to plant in late August or early September for fall greens. Behind them is cauliflower / broccoli / cabbage. Have yet to harvest any of them, though I could have been getting cabbage for a couple of weeks now. Just letting them get bigger. Something is amiss with the cauliflower and broccoli. No evidence of flower heads being produced at all....I think maybe the broccoli was mislabeled and is in fact cabbage. They sure look like it to me, but different in some ways. I'll try to get closer pic's this weekend.

Man, I've let the weeds creep ever farther into the garden. I'll fix that this weekend. I want to lay some mulch down and arrange the soaker hoses for the heat of the summer anyway.

Blog Entries

My crabgrass is doing awesome! ;-)

(Grubs ate my front lawn.)

My backyard veggie garden is doing very well, but I can't take credit for it - my neighbour maintains it. I just get to eat some of the results.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    My crabgrass is doing awesome! ;-)

(Grubs ate my front lawn.)

My backyard veggie garden is doing very well, but I can't take credit for it - my neighbour maintains it. I just get to eat some of the results.
    My neighbors employ this method (you bums.)

Jamie, lookin' great bro. I am such a dumbass to never think of the phased planting to get waves of crops. Remember, I'm a rogue gardener with absolutely no tutor or training!

Also, any of the decorative plants you see around are wifey's. She' a big perennial fan, and has been enhancing our little spot on the planet for years now. She's not doing much maintenance this year though, that's all me.

I'm really enjoying garden / yard time this year. Love going out after I get home from work and just looking around, maybe pruning some stuff etc. And I really like the hour after the yard is mowed which is usually Sunday, and I can sit for about an hour with a beer / cigar and bask in my gardening inefficiency!

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    My neighbors employ this method (you bums.)

Jamie, lookin' great bro. I am such a dumbass to never think of the phased planting to get waves of crops. Remember, I'm a rogue gardener with absolutely no tutor or training!

Also, any of the decorative plants you see around are wifey's. She' a big perennial fan, and has been enhancing our little spot on the planet for years now. She's not doing much maintenance this year though, that's all me.

I'm really enjoying garden / yard time this year. Love going out after I get home from work and just looking around, maybe pruning some stuff etc. And I really like the hour after the yard is mowed which is usually Sunday, and I can sit for about an hour with a beer / cigar and bask in my gardening inefficiency!
    LOL

Your approach to yard work/gardening sounds a lot like mine Will.

Sadly where I live, I get about 4 to 6 inches of topsoil and then it's this clay that reminds me of concrete....both in color and consistency. Some years back in an effort to appease my wife, I built a 10' x 10' raised garden/flower bed and put a couple yards of topsoil in it. Even with the extra topsoil, we still had little luck growing a garden so in the spring of 2012 wifey planted a tree in the middle of it. This year, she put some pepper plants in with the tree and surprisingly, they're doing well.

Our 6' x 6' greenhouse is full of lovely flowers that are doing great (again, thanks to my wife) and we have 4 half whiskey barrels around the pergola with assorted things in them. One has small pumpkins that are going absolutely crazy!

I always plan my lawn mowing (I say "lawn" loosely, the back yard is about 50% dandelions thanks to the town I live in never spraying for them. It's not worth my while to try to kill them all in my yard when they'll all be right back there a week later thanks to some nearby town land that is completely covered....but I digress) around being able to sit and have a cigar afterwards in my yard. Usually under the pergola.

We're adding a privacy wall on one side of the pergola and a couple more privacy screens to it on the other side and I'm hoping that gets done this week. I plan on taking some pics of the yard after that to share.

I really like your pics Jamie and Will. Once the new privacy stuff is up on the pergola I'll try to remember to take some of our backyard to share. Of course, other than cutting the grass, my input as to what we have and where it goes is minimal. I leave that up to the creative member of my team......lol....as my wife likes to remind me when it comes to yard stuff.....I'm just muscle.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

14. Default

I use a small community garden, but I think mine is the best one there (in my HUMBLE opinion).

Carrots
    Swiss Char
    Crabgrass
    Garlic
    Tomatoes
    Butternut Squash
    Bok Choy

and a whole lot of purdy flowers for the misses.

Blog Entries

Did some pickin' the other day:

Blog Entries

I did some pickin' today:

These were the Nugget hops. These are juvenile, and only yielded probably 1/2# of cones, but that's a 20qt pot, so maybe 10 qts? I'm very pleased with their progress this year. I'll do the Cascades tomorrow, hopefully.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Here's a couple shots of the garden from this week. Things really changed in a month. Two of my tomato plants are getting brown spots all over them (leaves & stems) but the fruit seems to be ok, and they all got pretty big. Just waiting for them to ripen.

Did a bunch of tomato soup already this year (the bulk with a double peck of tomatoes from the farmer's market) Looking forward to some spaghetti sauce from scratch.

The ones that got what I think was a virus earlier in the year, actually turned out ok, but didn't make a lot of fruit. Can't really complain about the peppers either, and I might get another batch from them.

I cut back the broccoli for a fall harvest.

That is a spaghetti squash. I have two on the vine.

There's my last plant that didn't get any sort of disease this year.

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information