Thread: Can a Don Elias improve with sitting in my humidor?

Default Can a Don Elias improve with sitting in my humidor?

I recently received a Brown Bag Sampler from CI. Great way to see what's out there for somebody new like me. Anyway, one of the samples was a Don Elias. First time for an Indonesian wrapper. First time for a green colored cigar too. I was really enjoying it. It had everything going for it until I got into the last half. It got hot and bit back; bitter, leaving a bad taste in the back of my tongue.

My question is if I let a box of these babies sit in my coolador for six or twelve months can I expect the last half to be like the first half? Will they mellow out through and through?

The CI summer catalogue has a super price on them so it's really tempting.

Thanks in advance.
    VernBob
    "Life is a vacation from your real job. Act accordingly."

Default VernBob

Check out this link for LOTS of information:

http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/#4.1

From what I have learned over the years is that many cigars available to us here in the USA aren't really suitable for long term aging. In particular Dominican cigars. That's not to say that a harsh, green (as in fresh rolled) won't benefit from a year in the humidor. Some cigars age well, others don't. As the link above states, a garbage cigar will always be a garbage cigar.

Yes, some cigars benefit from aging. From what I understand it's mainly certain Cubans and some of the more powerhouse Nicaraguan cigars.

it could be that you were smoking the second half too fast. let it rest between puffs. it might help but it might now.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Thread Information