Thread: Really ticked off....

Default Really ticked off....

Last night, I went to a comedy club that I've frequented many times. I always smoke cigars when I'm there.

I lit a Torano Exodus '59 Gold just before I walked in, like thirty minutes before the show began. I got a beer, and was enjoying the stick when my bud and his wife joined us. He lit a Royal Jamaican, and we sat and chatted for about ten minutes.

Then the waitress came by, and asked us to put them out. Apparently the "hypnotist" the Raven, who was performing that night, didn't allow cigar smoking at his show. My bud went up and talked to the manger, who he knew, and the guy confirmed this.

I finally put it out, but was I pissed off! It really turned me off to this guy (who was pretty lame, btw).

I'd been looking forward to the Torano all day. Ok, enough whining, but I hate that kind of crap.

Moo
    "Chicks dig me cuz I rarely wear underwear, and when I do, it's usually something unusual"--Bill Murray, "Stripes"

That's BS - they should have publicly announced, or posted signs to that affect BEFORE you went in there and lit up... I hate that crap too...

And I hate it when you're at a sporting event - just about everyone around you is smoking cigarettes and then they get pissed off when you light up a cigar. Seems to me to be a double standard.... (Plus I like the smell of cigars MUCH better than cigarettes).

Amanda Guest

I would've been pissed too. I would have been tempted to walk right out of the show. What's scary is the pace at which smoking is being banned in all bars and clubs. The day I can't smoke in a bar is the day I have no more use for going to bars....EVER!

ggiese, I noticed the same thing at the Iowa State Fair this week. You wouldn't have believed all the dirty looks I got when I smoked a cigar an outdoor concert, even among people near me who smoked cigarettes.

I've seen the same guy in a comedy club around here. I thought he was pretty good myself. Same thing though. No pipe or cigar smoking. They had lots of signs up at this club though, so I was forewarned.

The guy might have been better than I thought; I was pretty put off at the beginning, so I had a biased view of him.

You guys are right about the public accepting cigarettes (which stink like crazy) more than cigars.

Years back, I was at an outdoor amphitheater for a rock concert, and was smoking whatever dog rocket (White Owl, maybe) I was into back then. Anyhow, this young gal in front of me turned around, whining, "EWWWWW, a cigar!"

She then proceeded to roll up and spark a doobie the size of a Pamper. Bob Marley himself would've passed on this one. She produced a mushroom cloud like an A-bomb, giving all around her a contact high.

Geezopete, some people!

Moo
    "Chicks dig me cuz I rarely wear underwear, and when I do, it's usually something unusual"--Bill Murray, "Stripes"

I got told to put my cigar out in a pub here too. And they had an ashtray at every table and everyone was smoking Needless to say I won't ever go there again!

Sorry to hear about your bad luck! Raven has done shows at the Calgary Stampede before, so I have seen him there. He isn't too bad*shrug*. But that was a free out door event so there was no mention of smoking or not.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Blog Entries

If I'm at a place that tells me to put out my cigar, I just walk out.

Default Wha...????

You guys can light up in public places?!

I can't even remember the last time I could smoke a cigar in an enclosed public space!

But that's as far as I go on the subject. You know...there are four things that you can never discuss: Politics, religion, sexuality and public smoking.

Thread Information