Thread: Nice Humidor

Brenham, TX.....home of BlueBell Ice Cream!

Default Nice Humidor

Well my dad and I got suckered into building blanket chests for all the women in the family. I believe we ended up making 4 regular size ones and a larger one for my grandma. Anyways thats not the point, the point is we started work on a dumby box just to see what the cuts would be like and see how hard it would be to create these chest. We got about 3/4 way done and decided to start on a real one that we took our time on. So, we have a 3/4 done empty blanket chest sitting in the shed taking up space. I believe its too nice of a piece of work to just be sitting in the shed unfinished and not being used. The box is about as wide as a full/queen size bed since it was meant to be set at the end of a bed, and its about 18-20 inches deep.(You will get a general idea in the photos below,) Anyways, if I were to take the chest exactly identical to the one below and put some stripping of some sort around the lid to make sure the enclosure was air tight and then seal the inside with a sealant of some sort to not absorb water and then line it with spanish cedar , or would it be best to not seal the wood and just leave it be and line it with spanish cedar? I would of course attach something to the lid with some heartfelt beads to keep the humidity correct. I would probably invest in some removable wooden trays like below to keep my singles in or small quantities that arent in boxes. Anyways take a look and tell me what you think.

And then keep the singles n such in a trays like this....

P.S. what kind of device can be used to keep the temperature in a humidor correct?
    Last edited by dHUTCH; 08-21-2005 at 11:49 PM.

I would think that it could work, however you might not want to have the red cedar bottom in you chest as I have read it can impart a bad taste in your cigars. Possibly you could use some sort of sealer on that to prevent and then just line it with the spanish cedar. BTW, great looking chest. Get it to work and you could make some $$$ building humidors for others.

3. Default

Nice work!

Nice piece of work! My vote is that you turn it into a humidor!

TheyCallMeManiX Guest

where are you located again? how much would you charge someone to build something like that for them? i would want a more stand up sort of piece i.e. taller and maybe with a cutout for a glass piece on the door.

let me know thanks

Of course I wouldnt line the bottom with that red cedar, that was put there for the blankets to protect them from bugs n such.

And Manix that would be something I would have to sit down and talk with my father with because its something we both build together and they're extremely hard to build with just one person around and not to mention time consuming. I know to build one just like that it runs about $40 for a nice peice of plywood and then I'd have to guess another $40 for the trim and edge peices that we have to rip; so it would come down to how much we want to charge for our time and labor. But of course.....if you wanted us to use more expensive solid wood sidings it would be more expensive but that is entirely up to you. I'll get back to yal on the cost/time. I know it would take 3-4 weeks to build due school/both of us having jobs.

**Edit** Sorry Manix I live in Brenham, TX. That's located inbetween Austin and Houston.
    Last edited by dHUTCH; 08-22-2005 at 02:36 PM.

gotta give that a

That chest is awesome, makes want to build something. I bet I could make a cool little humidor out of my nightstand...

How many sticks you reckon this puppy would hold?

Moo
    "Chicks dig me cuz I rarely wear underwear, and when I do, it's usually something unusual"--Bill Murray, "Stripes"

Quote Originally Posted by Bull
    How many sticks you reckon this puppy would hold?

Moo
    A lot

Ok, so I started work on the bottom molding this evening and the lid will be finished and attached tomorrow. I also got ahold of my uncle in Austin so he could give a specialized lumber yard(lots of exotic woods) there a call and see if they have any 3/8in thick spanish cedar. If all goes well I should have the box with lid built tomorrow that way I can begin work on getting her air tight. Ill keep yal posted with pictures and progress.

A buddy of mine just bought a similar looking blanket chest made out of solid oak and it ran him $400 and that was a steal.

Last night I remembered that my mother has a chest like that, and has had it for yearls longer than I can even remember. She doesn't use it anymore so I was going to ask if I could have it...then I recalled it was made entirely of cedar...I doubt it's spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by thepyrofish
    Last night I remembered that my mother has a chest like that, and has had it for yearls longer than I can even remember. She doesn't use it anymore so I was going to ask if I could have it...then I recalled it was made entirely of cedar...I doubt it's spanish.
    Seal the inside seader with a polyurethane or something similar so it wont absorb moisture then let it set until that smell goes away. Then purchase some spanish cedar and line the inside with it.

Oh and by the way, SPANISH CEDAR IS F'N EXPENSIVE!

Welp here's an update for yal.....We're probably about 3/4 done with the build up of the box, I just need to cut rip the sheet for the lid and the lid trim and then mount it on the box and the actual box building will be done. I'm picking up some spanish cedar this saturday in Austin to line the inside of the box. Ill post pictures later

Yeah, I gotta say you did a real nice job on that chest.

Welp today I got the lower half of the box built and the lid cut out. I need the lid trip peices and then it will be ready to be put on the chest. Since it was getting late instead of finishing the lid, I started sealing the wood inside the box so it wont absorb moisture.....I have some pics for yal below, and I'll keep yal updated on the progress.

OH by the way, I went with a lil different design than the one above as to tone down the beauty of it......the things in my room arent exactly as nice as the first box above. So I got rid of the fancy legs and just use a regual oak piece with a routed edge.

hey ill be up in austin at that time. this friday i leave to go there for college. im gunna be a freshmen. maybe ill see you there. i will probably be at some cigar shop there testing out the shops, finding my favorite.

Thread Information