Thread: Punch Gran Puro Libertad

Default Punch Gran Puro Libertad

This is a new offering for Punch (a different vitola), although part of the Gran Puro line. Our cigar shop has these in stock now as kind of a sneak preview. They are supposed to be widely released in the next month of so...

The Gran Puro has always been one of my favorite Punch cigars. It has a great flavor, is well constructed and is reasonably priced. General cigar says this about the Grand Puro,

"When you light up a Punch Gran Puro cigar, you're smoking one of the finest examples of the Honduran cigar maker's art... an all-Honduran Puro cigar developed to bring out the best of the round, spicy flavors for which Honduran-made cigars have become famous. The Punch Gran Puro stays true to the Punch tradition of rich taste that's true to its name."
    This "Libertad" is a 5" X 52 cigar, packaged in an aluminum tube. It is a little brute, that's for sure. The wrapper is toothy, but it has a nice sheen to it. The construction is typical Punch - very well made, not too soft. The pre-light draw was phenominal - very easy, just the way I like it.

When this baby is first fired up you get the nice spiciness a Nigaraguan cigar is know for - kinda grabs you in the back of the throat. I was VERY impressed with the incredible smoke this baby produced. Nothing I love better than "sipping" the smoke (leave it float out of your mouth while you taste the flavors of the cigar). The burn was incredibly sharp, with no touchups necessary.

After about the first quarter, the spice somewhat faded into the background, and there was an incredible mix of those rich flavors I love in a more medium to medium full cigar. I found myself getting lost in the smoking of it, thinking about the complexity I was tasting. With hints of leather, a woody taste and some chocolate, this was definitely a flavorful cigar. I smoked this down to a nub, with no overheating problems. It stayed consistent to nearly the end. After the initial spiciness, the cigar was very smooth. This smoke lasted over an hour and a half, which was a bit surprising to me because it was only a 5 inch cigar.

This is on my recommend list, and I give it a 8.5 out of 10. I think it would be best to smoke this with a nice single malt scotch or Anejo Tequila in the evening, while contemplating the activities of the day. The flavor of the cigar will play well with the complexity of the scotch/tequila. A Very relaxing smoke for sure.

toledo,ohio 1440 royalton toledo oh 43612

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    This is a new offering for Punch (a different vitola), although part of the Gran Puro line. Our cigar shop has these in stock now as kind of a sneak preview. They are supposed to be widely released in the next month of so...

The Gran Puro has always been one of my favorite Punch cigars. It has a great flavor, is well constructed and is reasonably priced. General cigar says this about the Grand Puro,

This "Libertad" is a 5" X 52 cigar, packaged in an aluminum tube. It is a little brute, that's for sure. The wrapper is toothy, but it has a nice sheen to it. The construction is typical Punch - very well made, not too soft. The pre-light draw was phenominal - very easy, just the way I like it.

When this baby is first fired up you get the nice spiciness a Nigaraguan cigar is know for - kinda grabs you in the back of the throat. I was VERY impressed with the incredible smoke this baby produced. Nothing I love better than "sipping" the smoke (leave it float out of your mouth while you taste the flavors of the cigar). The burn was incredibly sharp, with no touchups necessary.

After about the first quarter, the spice somewhat faded into the background, and there was an incredible mix of those rich flavors I love in a more medium to medium full cigar. I found myself getting lost in the smoking of it, thinking about the complexity I was tasting. With hints of leather, a woody taste and some chocolate, this was definitely a flavorful cigar. I smoked this down to a nub, with no overheating problems. It stayed consistent to nearly the end. After the initial spiciness, the cigar was very smooth. This smoke lasted over an hour and a half, which was a bit surprising to me because it was only a 5 inch cigar.

This is on my recommend list, and I give it a 8.5 out of 10. I think it would be best to smoke this with a nice single malt scotch or Anejo Tequila in the evening, while contemplating the activities of the day. The flavor of the cigar will play well with the complexity of the scotch/tequila. A Very relaxing smoke for sure.
    I've read that the spiciness is directally related to higher nicotine content,and how much are these for a box?
    I drink a great deal.I sleep a little,and i smoke cigar after cigar.That is why i am in two-hundred percent form
    -Winston Churchill

good review , I'll have to keep a eye out for these here in the next few months.

This cost me $7.00. Not sure how much the box is going to be - the store is only selling singles for right now...

Very nice review
    Don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    This cost me $7.00. Not sure how much the box is going to be - the store is only selling singles for right now...
    I was in the shop earlier today, and it appears the shop has at least one box, and has $125 listed as the box price. It appears there are 20 in the box (making them $6.25 each). If you are interested, you can phone the shop (Cigars and More) at 1.847.918.9999 - ask for Ken or Kellen. They'll ship anywhere, and you avoid the sales tax if you're outside Illinois.

i think you just convinced me to go down there and get one of those. can't wait till payday.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Default Public Thanks!

I just wanted to top this thread and offer a public thanks to ggiese. I just received a 5'er of these new Punch cigars from him as part of a trade. What impressed me most is that he went to his local shop and purchased the cigars for me (they are not available in my area) and sent them off right away even before I sent my end off. Not to worry though . . . package is in the mail today with some very nice smokes for him!

Thanks again ggiese you are a true BOTL

This is a very good smoke. Just so happens that Punch Gran Puro is my fravorite of the Punch cigars and this new vitola is a great addition to that line. Very nice packaging and presentation as well.

Since I agree totally with his review and could not say anything that he did not already say, or say it any better for that matter, I will direct your attention once again to his review at the beginning of this thread.

- Jason
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

I recommend getting your hands on a Punch Royal Corrination *SP*. They are around 4 bucks a piece, and a little more robust than the grand puro line!

Thread Information