Thread: Another Trademark/Patent Type Question

TheyCallMeManiX Guest

Question Another Trademark/Patent Type Question

I have an idea for a (cigar related) product . . . i think i read somewhere that i need to publish it publicly in order to state/prove that it was my idea before someone else does in order to have the law on my side if someone steals my idea before i can get a patent on it or trademark it. is that correct?

also, how do i go about basically grabbing the opportunity for the name and right to my idea for this product so i can start packaging it labeling it selling it etc.

thanks in advance guys

2. Default

I would think your first step would be to call a patent attorney. They can help you do an inquiry and help you determine if your idea is unique enough to be patentable. Ain't cheap, though...

TheyCallMeManiX Guest

yeah i know, thats the part i was trying to avoid at all costs . . . no pun intended

Try contacting Stinky of The Stinky Ashtray fame. He has recently been successful in bringing an idea to reality. Stinky is a "regular guy" and he might be able to offer some decent advice,if you're serious.

http://www.stinkycigar.com/

`

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

5. Default

You may want to look into Patent Agents. They cost less than attorneys, but may not be suitable for what you're looking for.

Patents are quite complex and detailed and really not easily obtained by non-professionals.

The US Patent Office maintains a searchable database, too, which you may want to check to make sure no one has beat you to the punch...

TheyCallMeManiX Guest

thanks hugh . . . i will check it out. can i let him know you sent me?

super, yeah i looked up the name for my idea and didnt find it so who knows. i will try contacting my local county government office to see what help they can offer if any. after the whole hurricane aftermath stuff blows over . . . no pun intended . . . my heart goes out to N.O.L.A. and M-i-s-s-si-is--is-is-is-is--i-i-sisiss-i-is-i-i-is-i-ispi or howEVER the hell you spell it

Thread Information