Thread: Paper Binder?

Default Paper Binder?

I was taking apart a cheap cigar and found a paper binder ? I think. What is up with that?
    I may have to give up cheap cigars. Then I'll have to buy good ones oh no. If asked and answered just dump me in the poophead pile.
    Remember to breathe

Like what kind of paper? Maby one of the rollers was reading a book and ran out of tobacco.

3. Default

I have smoked all sorts of Cigars, both Expensive and Cheap..... Hell, when i worked in a remote location up north all I could get were Swisher Sweets...... But I have never seen Paper in a Cigar...... I have heard that 95% of all Americal 100 dollar bills have trace amounts of Cocaine on them, but never a cigar with a piece of an american bill in it....... (Yeah, and if it is a Davidoff it is probably part of a $1000 dollar bill..... And even then you are being cheated.)

Anyway, if you can get a pic of the paper, put it on here. I would really like to see it.

Happy Smoking... (Both Tobacco and Paper )
    "I Smoke in Moderation.... Just One Cigar at a Time." Mark Twain

If the paper was brown it probably wasn't paper, but HTL...homogenized tobacco leaf...mashed up like pulp, just like papaer and rolled the same way...used to make binder for cheap cigars...

5. Default

My girlfriend told me she once took apart a gas station cigar and found a big chunk of a supermarket plastic bag inside... Good thing she wasn't using it to smoke tobacco! :)

The horrible truth, Baron, is that if it looked like a paper binder, it probably was. I learned this when I was working in the industry many years ago. Homogenized tobacco leaf (HTL) is routinely used in the commercial or machine made industry as a wrapper. The largest users of this wrapper are Altadis and Swedish Match. This wrapper allows them to turn out incredible numbers of cigars on automated machines. However, there are some companies that turn out cheap, machine made cigars that go one step further and actually use paper as a binder. The paper used is not that different from what we call butcher paper, although usually thinner. It burns at the same rate as the short filler usually used in these smokes and allows the manufacturer to work with a lower overhead. The paper also burns easier than tobacco so the cigars stays lit, not unlike all the crap they put in cigarettes to enhance their burn. The paper has little taste so it doesn't interfere with the filler, however, the tobaccos in these smokes are usually so bad that the binder could be made out of cow patties and you wouldn't be able to tell.

The paper binders seem to be less prevalant today than they used to be. Maybe it's due to better and cheaper machine manufacturering techniques that utilize real tobacco or maybe it's just that there used to be so many more firms that produced cheap cigars. Whatever the reason, they do exist. The problem is, unless you dissect a smoke from each cheapie brand, you'll never know whether you're smoking a cigar or a notebook. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mglantz; 09-08-2005 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Porthos
    I was taking apart a cheap cigar and found a paper binder ?
    You sure that wasn't your "repacked" philly blunt?

8. Default

I think this is why I can't even imagine smoking a "cheap" cigar. If it's machine-made, it doesn't even exist in my universe. Paper, huh? Hope you found it before you smoked any of 'em. Doesn't exactly sound healthy.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JakeKnight
    ... If it's machine-made, it doesn't even exist in my universe...
    Keep talking like this and one day a Quintero Brevas in going to land in your mail box.

Then you'll be screwed.
    Supreme Leader Voltron
    bending over and reaching for the Crisco

I think this is why I can't even imagine smoking a "cheap" cigar. If it's machine-made, it doesn't even exist in my universe. Paper, huh? Hope you found it before you smoked any of 'em. Doesn't exactly sound healthy.
    I would like to re-iterate that Jose L. Piedra cigars are cheap and machine made, but generally provide a good smoke and excellent value for money. Do I detect a label snob here?
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe
    I would like to re-iterate that Jose L. Piedra cigars are cheap and machine made, but generally provide a good smoke and excellent value for money. Do I detect a label snob here?
    Who, me?

Um .... in a word, yes.

I like my beer cheap and domestic. I'd rather have a Big Mac than most $200 meals in a snooty French restaurant. I like my women just a little bit trashy. I've proudly drunk wine a time or two ... from a box.

But somewhere along the way, I became a snob when it comes to cigars. Go figure. Are there decent machine-made stogies out there? Maybe. Probably. But I'll never know, cuz one will never touch me lips. Ugh.

Who, me?

Um .... in a word, yes.

I like my beer cheap and domestic. I'd rather have a Big Mac than most $200 meals in a snooty French restaurant. I like my women just a little bit trashy. I've proudly drunk wine a time or two ... from a box.

But somewhere along the way, I became a snob when it comes to cigars. Go figure. Are there decent machine-made stogies out there? Maybe. Probably. But I'll never know, cuz one will never touch me lips. Ugh.

Sample some of the habanos machine mades to form an opinion based on experience, not speculation.

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

Thread Information