Thread: The new Reo, made by Rocky Patel

Default The new Reo, made by Rocky Patel

Well - I was gifted and I smoked the brand new Reo Corona tonight... These Reo's (along with the new "Vibe") are made in the Rocky Patel factory in Honduras where the Edge cigars a made. The wrapper is aged Costa Rican, Binder is Nicarauan and the filler is Nicaraguan and Honduran. I don't know if these are in the stores yet, but I understand if they're not, they should be very shortly.

In a word - WOW!!! First off - I'm just starting to warm up to the box pressed cigars. I was not much of a fan until I started smoking the RP's and Padron Anniversary's. This cigar had incredible construction, and a flawlessm darker brown colored wrapper.

Pre-light - when I clipped the cap with my double guillotine cutter, the small cap portion exploded sending pieces of tobacco all over. That is the first time that has ever happened to me. To be honest, I was a bit concerned about the draw and the construction. But then I took some pre-light draws and was pleasantly surprised at how easy and nice the draw was. There was a slight sweet oaky taste.

When I lit the cigar, I was immediately met with a spicy taste - very interesting, and not overly so. The cigar lit very easily and uniform. The draw was right where I like it - not too loose, nor to tight. Plenty of rich, thick tasty smoke. Initially, I had trouble identifying the flavors, but there was definitely an explosion of flavors. The taste was very rich, earthy and seemed to me to be a heavy woody taste. It very much reminded me of the Edge, with a bit more spice (one of the complaints that I had about the Edge was it seemed to be lacking just a bit - the Reo seems to make up for it).

The spiciness was there to about the midway point. I found myself captivated with the rich, tasty smoke. Again, I was trying to distinquish flavors, but was overwhelmed at the richness of the flavor. Again, the pleasant woodiness of the taste is what struck me the most.

This was a cigar that I smoked completely down to the nub - and it maintaind it's excellent characteristics all the way through. I would say this was on the full side of medium - definitely not a light cigar, nor was it overpowering. I enjoyed the cigar with a Sprecher seasonal "Abbey Triple" Ale - and the cigar complimeted rich sweetness of the beer.

This is definitely a "must try" cigar!!! It's reasonably priced in the $4-$5 range, and absolutely worth the price. This one will make it into my regular rotation.

Last edited by ggiese; 09-11-2005 at 09:07 PM.

Nice review. The local shop doesnt have them yet (if they do they havnt put them out yet.. greedy bastards..). I'll definatly keep an eye out for them. The band is kinda... differnt.

A new RP cigar?

I have GOT to get me one of these!

bigpoppapuff Guest

it IS NOT a rocky patel cigar...it's from united tobacco and made in the same factory that makes rocky patel's cigars...(nestor placensia)....rocky and eddie ortega collaborated on the blends,along with eddie's partner,erik espinosa....

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    it IS NOT a rocky patel cigar...it's from united tobacco and made in the same factory that makes rocky patel's cigars...(nestor placensia)....rocky and eddie ortega collaborated on the blends,along with eddie's partner,erik espinosa....

...and you can tell... What a great smoke, Sid!!!

Looks like I have another cigar to add to the list to try. I think the list will be never ending.

Blog Entries

This is too funny!!!

I too was sent some of these cigars to sample. I open the package and looked at them and my first impression was that the bands were kinda "hokey" I dunno, just a weird impression.

Now me, being the freakin' cigar SNOB that I am said to myself "Holy crap, ya mean I actually gotta SMOKE these things?" As most of you know, I pretty much only smoke high end domestics and Havanas BUT there are a few low to medium priced domestics that I do enjoy very much. My FAVORITE domestic is the Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 and I also like these:

Oliva "O" Bold
    El Rey del Mundo
    Excalibur

and I know this will sound weird to y'all but I do like:

Cuba Aliados (a bundled inexpensive cigar)

So again, I look at the "REO" cigars and I'm like "WTF?" So I grabbed the torpedo and had the SAME experience George did, the tip kind of "exploded" which I had never seen before. So okay here's the rest:

Prelight draw: NICE I hate "loose" cigars and this cigar had a firm, Havana-like draw.

Prelight taste of the wrapper: Now, in my book this is the most important part of the cigar, how does that WRAPPER taste. I was IN AWE To me, it reminded me very much of the Carlos Torano Exodus 1959. ALL OF A SUDDEN, I'm saying to myself "Holy CRAP, this is going to be a GREAT cigar"

Construction: These cigars were beautifully constructed, very "clean" and neat looking.

Burn: This cigar burned PERFECTLY!! A nice EVEN burn with NO STEMS which are the cause of crooked, uneven burns 95% of the time.

Taste: This cigar tasted wonderfully. As George said, it's a medium to full bodied cigar, not really an "eye popper" but certainlly not a mild cigar by any means. It reminded me of the Exodus but probably a little stronger.

Finish: I finished it

This cigar was unbelievable Ever since becoming the "snob" that I am I have NEVER been so impressed with a domestic cigar. These are a MUST HAVE in your humi.

On the cA rating scale:

Last edited by CoventryCat86; 09-14-2005 at 01:55 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

I picked up one of these when I was in FL. It is in the humi right now. After that review, I look forward to smoking it.

awesome review, CC. I'll definately have to check those out in the future. They sound like fantastic smokes.
    With glasses high, we raised a cry - freedom had arrived

I like the box press. When I give it the recommended 1/4 turn my newbie self can't get lost.
    I also like the draw and feel.
    CC I take back all those snob thoughts I have had.
    I also like the 1959 and El rey del mundo Robusto Largo and Immenso
    Remember to breathe

Well, I smoked the Reo I bought in FL last night and I have to agree with GGIESE. Unfortunatly, I did not get to smoke it all the way down to a nub becuase when I was about 3/4 through it we had a rescue call for an Unconscious/Unresponsive person. So, I had to put it out, it pained me. And the thing that sucks about it was, I only had one. So now I am going to have to call the cigar shop in FL where I got it from and order a whole box, or maybe two. I have not decided yet. Damn, suicidal people ruining a good cigar!!

bigpoppapuff Guest

rockyscigars.com

he'll have 'em early next week..

Thread Information