Thread: Humidor at 70% with out humidification device

1. Default Humidor at 70% with out humidification device

Hi im new to the formus and to humidors. I have smoked cigars for years but have never had a humidor. I live in Redondo beach CA and the humidity here is in the high 70's low 80's most of the time. What i need to know is if it ok to not use a humidification device if my box is sitting at 70%. When i put a devie in there it seems to want to go up a few points. Thank you!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ipesway View Post
    Hi im new to the formus and to humidors. I have smoked cigars for years but have never had a humidor. I live in Redondo beach CA and the humidity here is in the high 70's low 80's most of the time. What i need to know is if it ok to not use a humidification device if my box is sitting at 70%. When i put a devie in there it seems to want to go up a few points. Thank you!!!
    Use heartfelt beads and they will cover fluctuations, up or down, in humidity.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Welcome to the forums. Definitely get the beads. My humidity in a desktop 150 count humidor stays between 64 and 66 percent with my heartfelt beads. I live in Vancouver and we get some significant humidity swings and I have had no issues.

Mark

4. Red face

Just ordered some beads. Thanks for the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ipesway View Post
    Just ordered some beads. Thanks for the help!!
    If your humidity is that high just be sure you don't over saturate the beads. If you bought 65% beads, the beads will try to reduce your humidor humidity from 70% to 65% by absorbing moisture and will require some dry beads. When your humidity in the humidor drops below 65%, they will release humidity.

What kind of hygrometer are you using? If it isn't an accurate digital one, salt test it to make sure it is accurate.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Use heartfelt beads and they will cover fluctuations, up or down, in humidity.

Will
    What he said. It is always a good idea to have something to make sure the internal humidity stays stable and doesn't flucuate a whole bunch. No need for anything huge or extremely expensive but some nice beads in a small container will draw out extra moisture when it gets to high and add when low.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

7. Default

i have 2 digital hygrometer one in my 50 and one in my 100 cigar humidors and they should accurate because i have tested them side by side and get the same readings, i also did a salt test on them. I ended up getting the 65% beads from heartfelt, i will keep you guys updated on how they are working.

Thanks again!!!!

Do the beads need to be replaced after a while or do they last forever ?

Default Re: Humidor at 70% with out humidification device

Hello from a new guy in Miami. I just joined the forum, and was searching this very same topic.

I am having a similar problem w/my humidor in Miami where it's often hot and humid. I think part of the problem is that I am not completely through the seasoning process. I had the RH levels holding steady for 3 days at 77 w/a shot glass of distilled water and a Boveda Seasoning Pack. I then proceeded to remove the water, and Boveda pack, and replaced it with the humidifier filled w/distilled water and about 6 drops of PG solution. I fanned out the air in the humi, and closed it so I could get an accurate assesment of my new environment. The level on my Madelaine Digital hygro shot back up to 77 within hours. I then removed the humidifier unit, and put a 72% Boveda pack in, and it's been holding steady at around 73%. I am planning on heading back to the local B&M to get a 69% Boveda pack. If that doesn't keep the levels down, I guess I need to try something else.
    Several people on another forum (glocktalk ) have suggested the crystals too, but I am a little confused. Will one jar of the crystals increase/maintain constant RH levels when needed, and also decrease levels when they are running high?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! Looking forward to participating more on here, and enjoying my humi once I get things straightened out!

Beads. Get them. 65% will be fine given your humid climate. Beads release and reabsorb water.

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Use heartfelt beads
    Quote Originally Posted by VancouverMark View Post
    Definitely get the beads.
    Beads. Get them.
    Try some beads.

Beads. Get them. 65% will be fine given your humid climate. Beads release and reabsorb water.

Welcome to the forums.
    Thanks! So I should stop using Bovedas altogether and use the Heartfelt Beads instead? Regarding the Heartfelt Beads; I have a 120 cigar humi, which I will be gradually filling. Is it better to use the sized cases (medium or small) and rounding up from my actual volume measurement to the closest size they sell, or should I do the calculation, buy the loose beads, and then measure out the suggested weight of beads? Can the mesh bag just sit on the bottom of my humi, or can I just put the beads in a bag? I appreciate your help!

I bought the extra large cylinder of HF beads for my 150 count. More beads are better as long as you have the space for them. Here's a link to the pics of my humi and beads:

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...226#post169226

I bought the extra large cylinder of HF beads for my 150 count. More beads are better as long as you have the space for them. Here's a link to the pics of my humi and beads:

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...226#post169226
    Thanks. That's a great reference! The tubes don't come w/beads...right? Just want to be sure. Disregard. I misunderstood the disclaimer (Important: You can use....)
    Last edited by DB17210; 07-27-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Thread Information