Thread: Digital Hygrometer Accuracy

Default Digital Hygrometer Accuracy

I have two new digital hygrometers (one from Don Salvatore, the other from Little Havana).
    They are lying next to each other in my humidor and their vents are unobstructed. I've allowed them to equilibrate for 45 minutes. They read similar temps (within 0.1 degree), but one reads 66% humidity (Don Salvatore) and the other reads 77%. Even if you allow for a small inaccuracy, this seems to be too much a difference.
    I thought these were supposed to be quite accurate (1-2%).

Now what? Do I need to buy a third to see which is right? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. Default

Welcome to CigarSmokers.com!

Did you receive any instructions with the hygrometers? There should be a way to calibrate them.

If you can locate some way of adjusting the reading on the hygrometer, you can calibrate it with a ziplock sandwich bag and bottle cap full of salt solution.

Try googling "calibrate hygrometer salt solution".

I hope this is helpful.
    Supreme Leader Voltron
    bending over and reaching for the Crisco

Or use a Boveda or HumidiPak calibration kit.

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

The hygrometers are not adjustible.
    I may try the salt solution test to see which is the accurate gauge.
    I plan on using humidity beads (from heartfelt industries) in my humidor and Igloo-dor, but I wanted to use the hygrometers to measure how they're doing.

Wow, that's quite a discrepancy. My analog is always 12% higher than my digital, but I would have figured the digital hygros would be pretty stable. Let us know if/how you resolve this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeman
    I have two new digital hygrometers (one from Don Salvatore, the other from Little Havana).
    They are lying next to each other in my humidor and their vents are unobstructed. I've allowed them to equilibrate for 45 minutes. They read similar temps (within 0.1 degree), but one reads 66% humidity (Don Salvatore) and the other reads 77%. Even if you allow for a small inaccuracy, this seems to be too much a difference.
    I thought these were supposed to be quite accurate (1-2%).

Now what? Do I need to buy a third to see which is right? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    See this thread: http://www.cigarsmokers.com/t1874-di...grometers.html. This discussion was about 2 weeks ago. Further search will turn up more info on this board. Knowing nothing about the Don Sal., I'm going to say the Little Havana is your accurate one. Welcome to CS.
    Last edited by basil; 09-15-2005 at 09:50 AM.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by basil
    Knowing nothing about the Don Sal., I'm going to say the Little Havana is your accurate one.

My bet is on the Litle Havana as well.

If you haven't already purchased your beads from Heartfelt, let Viper know you need a calibration kit for your hygrometer. He has been know to cut a deal with the purchase of beads.

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by King of Vagabonds
    Wow, that's quite a discrepancy. My analog is always 12% higher than my digital, but I would have figured the digital hygros would be pretty stable. Let us know if/how you resolve this.
    I have an analog that mounts through the front of my humi that always reads 13% higher than the digital inside. I always figured the analog was off, and it's not adjustable so I bought the digi so I could get a good read. Now I wonder about the digi as well...
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Default Fixed?

As an update, my two digital hygrometers now seem to be in sync. They're reading within 1% of each other. This makes me feel better, of course.

This was not the case in the first day or two. All I can figure is that the newer one (Don Salvatore) somehow got over-heated on the truck during the shipping process (it WAS reading consistently lower). My original post was written on the day I got it. I'm not sure if this theory make sense or not, but things seem fine now.
    Last edited by Mazeman; 09-18-2005 at 11:09 AM.

10. Default Welcome

Hi Mazeman,

Looks like your issue appears to be resolved.

I just wanted to say welcome to cigarsmokers.com!

Thread Information