Thread: Sun Grown V.S. Sun Grown 2nds?

1. Default Sun Grown V.S. Sun Grown 2nds?

I've read posts and have heard good things about Rocky Patel Sun Grown cigars. I was on cigarsinternational.com tonight and noticed you can ALSO buy Rocky Patel Sun Grown 2nds.

I understand the concept that the 2nds are 'reject cigars' and are priced much lower.

My question is, has anyone tried both? Is there really a difference? What did you notice?

Sources:

Sun Growns: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...em=CS-RZ&cat=3

2nds: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...em=CS-IR&cat=3
    Last edited by godfather; 09-16-2005 at 12:17 AM.

2. Default

Damn, it's hard to turn down a $2 RP!

I smoke a lot of Rolys, which are Puros Indios seconds... They're not the best cigar I've ever had, but they cost about a buck and a half, so they're good for smoking in the car, when you're not necesarily going to enjoy a super premium...

I can't say anything about the Sun Grown but I smoke the RP 92 seconds and they are just as good as the regular 92s. So I would guess the same about the Sun Grown.

I hope you picked them up because they are not on the website anymore.
    Last edited by tx_tuff; 09-17-2005 at 11:41 AM.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff
    I can't say anything about the Sun Grown but I smoke the RP 92 seconds and they are just as good as the regular 92s. So I would guess the same about the Sun Grown.

I hope you picked them up because they are not on the website anymore.

I wonder if those 2nds would still be there if I didn't post the link .

Yeah, I picked some up on a bid for below the cost CI was asking a few days ago. I'm also taking a break from the bid sites. Too addictive and evil :).

I won a bundle of RP Vintage 2nds from CI / CBid (still waiting for them) a while back. The CI catalog promises that the RP 2nds are REAL segundos whereas many other brands call them so but in reality they are "trainers". Trainers are always going to be made of crap, reject tobacco. It only makes sense. Why give the premium stuff to novice rollers to practice with?

I am always leary of 2nds but in this case (RP) I think they're legit.

6. Default Following Up to MMAB's Post

Quote Originally Posted by MMAB
    I won a bundle of RP Vintage 2nds from CI / CBid (still waiting for them) a while back. The CI catalog promises that the RP 2nds are REAL segundos whereas many other brands call them so but in reality they are "trainers". Trainers are always going to be made of crap, reject tobacco. It only makes sense. Why give the premium stuff to novice rollers to practice with?

I am always leary of 2nds but in this case (RP) I think they're legit.
    Hey MMAB, did you end up getting your RP Vintage 2nds yet? Just wondering what your impressions were on them v.s. the 'real deal' ones. Thanks!

Default Yep! Got em' about a week ago......and......

A great deal.

I will say one thing though. They ship wet.

They need a little rest in the humidor to set up a bit. A few weeks should do or longer if you like.

I have smoked three so far and can tell that they are legit segundos taste wise. Just a touch sharp from being a tad humid.

However, one of them did have a tight draw, but not so bad to be unsmokeable. Just noticeable. It may have been due to being wet too.

What do you expect for seconds?

I say go for it. Try a bundle!

8. Default I Did

Got my shipment today and plan on smoking one tonight! Just curious to hear your opinion because I've never tried the 'real deal.' I too got mine at a very cheap price as well which is why I wanted to give them a shot (lots of positive talk on this board about them too).

Quote Originally Posted by MMAB
    A great deal.

I will say one thing though. They ship wet.

They need a little rest in the humidor to set up a bit. A few weeks should do or longer if you like.

I have smoked three so far and can tell that they are legit segundos taste wise. Just a touch sharp from being a tad humid.

However, one of them did have a tight draw, but not so bad to be unsmokeable. Just noticeable. It may have been due to being wet too.

What do you expect for seconds?

I say go for it. Try a bundle!

I am getting a second humidor from a kind brother soon, so I think I will get a bundle of these.

Which size do most people think is the best in the line? All the RPs I have in my sampler are the same size.

I'll be keeping a lookout for these on cbid if they sell them. Even if they don't they sound like a bargain.

Default I've tried them all except the Petite Corona.....

I don't really like small cigars.

All of the larger sizes IMO are great.

Thread Information