Thread: A question for "seasoned" smokers.....

Default A question for "seasoned" smokers.....

I just got through perusing the CI catalog. Cigar catalogs are always so entertaining. "wrappers oozing with oils"..."this one will have you drooling"....."as the flavor begins to reveal itself in a generous flow of layers"......"will make your mouth water instantly"......."bursts with a creamy, smooth flavor and a heady aroma"......"hot, throbbing, wet......." OOPS! sorry! wrong catalog!

OK...these descriptions are of course from el-cheapo cigars that are strewn about the catalog. Now don't get me wrong. Every vendor has em'. Business is business.

My question to you, the seasoned smoker, (seasoned meaning you've been smoking for several years) is this:

Have you ever encountered a TRULY great $2.00 smoke?

Now I know that there are cigars such as Roly, Maria Mancini and Connies and they're OK, but they're nothing TRULY great.

Personally....I don't think there is a truly great $2.00 cigar!

Well?

By the way, the cigars with oil oozing from the wrappers....can I use it as motor oil?

P.S. to the newer smokers. Please don't take offense to the "seasoned" smoker thing. It's just that if you are new to cigars, your palate isn't as experienced and you might now think a certain $2.00 cigar is great. Later, down the road, you'll find that it's just a piece of crap!

2. Default

There are good ones. I can't think of a great one for $2.

bigpoppapuff Guest

a truly great $2 cigar???......yep!!!...
    ...el camino dominicano...made by matasa (fonseca,et al)...it's absolutely amazing!!!...

I can get you three dollars, but not two.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

5. Default

The best cheap smoke I have ever had is a Jose L. Piedra. They are Cuban and Cost $25 CAD for 5. But I guess they are out of the price range....

I have had a No. 265 that was aged for about 2-3 years. (About $2.00 CAD) It was actually pretty good, but that might literally be 1 in 100.............

You can get a "pretty good" Punch Cigar for about $3.50 U.S. I forget the name, but they are about 5.5 inches long and have a 44 ring gauge. They are not great, but they are acceptable and avaliable in the U.S.

There is also the Guantanemera Cristales. They are about $5 CAD and I would rate them a solid 87. But they are Cuban and hense not avaliable in the U.S.

That is all I can think of right now, but If I think of more I will add them later.
    "I Smoke in Moderation.... Just One Cigar at a Time." Mark Twain

toledo,ohio 1440 royalton toledo oh 43612

Quote Originally Posted by Island Epicurean
    The best cheap smoke I have ever had is a Jose L. Piedra. They are Cuban and Cost $25 CAD for 5. But I guess they are out of the price range....

I have had a No. 265 that was aged for about 2-3 years. (About $2.00 CAD) It was actually pretty good, but that might literally be 1 in 100.............

You can get a "pretty good" Punch Cigar for about $3.50 U.S. I forget the name, but they are about 5.5 inches long and have a 44 ring gauge. They are not great, but they are acceptable and avaliable in the U.S.

There is also the Guantanemera Cristales. They are about $5 CAD and I would rate them a solid 87. But they are Cuban and hense not avaliable in the U.S.

That is all I can think of right now, but If I think of more I will add them later.
    So you wrote all that too say no?
    I drink a great deal.I sleep a little,and i smoke cigar after cigar.That is why i am in two-hundred percent form
    -Winston Churchill

Nope
    Remember to breathe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by superman78
    So you wrote all that too say no?
    LMFAO @ superman

Meanwhile, back to the question at hand:

Quintero Brevas (Havana).

If you look around, you can get boxes of 25 for $35.00.

About eight years ago, a few guys where I used to work would do a "cigar swap" every three months and the goal was to try and find a GOOD cigar for $2.00 or less. Most of us were getting our cigars from JRs at the time so we pretty much tried them all. At the time, some seemed okay but for the most part we were usually disappointed. However a couple of domestic brands that I think are "good enough" are:

Consuegra
    Cuba Aliados
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    LMFAO @ superman

Meanwhile, back to the question at hand:

Quintero Brevas (Havana).

If you look around, you can get boxes of 25 for $35.00.

About eight years ago, a few guys where I used to work would do a "cigar swap" every three months and the goal was to try and find a GOOD cigar for $2.00 or less. Most of us were getting our cigars from JRs at the time so we pretty much tried them all. At the time, some seemed okay but for the most part we were usually disappointed. However a couple of domestic brands that I think are "good enough" are:

Consuegra
    Cuba Aliados

It is funny you should mention the Consuegra. A friend of mine gave me a Conseuegra 112 on the golf course a while ago and I really liked it. I would probably give it a 87.5 overall. The cigar was so sleek and oily, I would have never guessed it was so cheep. You are probably right, they are a great cigar for the money. I may get some for myself some time soon.
    "I Smoke in Moderation.... Just One Cigar at a Time." Mark Twain

if I can get 40 Roly rothschild cigars for $32 am I getting hosed or is that a decent price?

wondering cause I need to fill my humi.

For the Most part, you get what you pay for. Not always but most of the time. For under $2 I honestly cannot think of a great Cigar but then again I've had some of the best IMHO in my short Smoking Experience. My favorite Budget Cigars include the Padron Fumas, FDO Maduro and the SLR Rothchild. They all run in the $1.50 to $2.50 range. Cuban wise, The Fonseca KDT and La Flor De cano Selecto are a good bet.
    "When I was a kid my parents moved alot, but I always found them".- Rodney Dangerfield

No.

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

Thread Information