Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humidor Question

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    Each humidor has to be seasoned after being bought or having been dry for a while. Take a moist cloth and wipe down the interior to remove any dust. Then place a shot glass or an container of similar size in the humidor and fill it with water. Keep the humidor closed overnight. If the water is gone or mostly gone, then repeat for another 24 hours. When it seems as thougth the humidor is not absorbing anymore humidity, you can place your cigars in the humidor. Remember, your humidifying element or "sponge" does not keep the cigars moist. The wood in the humidor does that. The humidifying element keeps the wood itself moist. If you have dry cedar in your humidor, then you will have dry cigars also.
    I think I read once not to wipe down the humidor. I think there's a danger of the wood warping...

And when he says water, he means DISTILLED water (available atmost pharmacies), not tap water...

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    I think I read once not to wipe down the humidor. I think there's a danger of the wood warping...
    I've heard that too....but I've also heard this point argued. What is the true statement here? :)

Maybe we need a poll here? :)

Regardless of the quality of a box, if you do too much too fast, you could shock the wood into some kind of warp. A little at a time, without trying to test the outer limits is good. Wiping down your cedar liner with a damp (not dripping wet) cloth will allow some expansion in the wood. If you find the rh still too low, do it again; let the wood take on the water at a rate that will not alter its shape.

That being said, a cheap box that warps easily was prob going to lose its seal pretty quick anyway.
    Last edited by basil; 09-20-2005 at 06:00 PM.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    I've heard that too....but I've also heard this point argued. What is the true statement here? :)

Maybe we need a poll here? :)
    i think it is an acceptable thing to do, but you run a higher risk of warpage.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

bigpoppapuff Guest

if you don't wipe down the wood,you're not prepping the humidor......you're not doing enough to cause any kind of warping....

....new sponge...distilled water...wring the sponge out...wipe down all exposed spanish cedar...

I wiped down the inside of my humidor a couple of times when I first got it. It never warped. I have not had a single problem with it either. It maintains humidity great. I only have to refill the humidifier every couple weeks.

As for the Humidor Vs. Coolidor...I have both. I started out with a nice humidor that bought. I wanted something for the living room that people would notice. I keep the cigars that I plan on smoking the soonest in there. Just recently I have set up a coolidor. This is only temperary since I am in the process of building a very large humidor. Again, I want something that looks nice that people notice. If someone askes me to see my cigar collection, I hate rolling out the Igloo Cooler. I did not want to spend $500 on a large humidor, so I am building one myself. Estimated cost: $60 in material and a couple of weeks of time. It has not been difficult so far. I just found a design I liked on the net and got the demensions. I made a blueprint and this weekend I will cut the wood and put it together. Then next week, I will put the finsihing touches on, stain the outside, and get the spanish cedar mounted inside. It has been fun so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsey5484
    I wiped down the inside of my humidor a couple of times when I first got it. It never warped. I have not had a single problem with it either. It maintains humidity great. I only have to refill the humidifier every couple weeks.

As for the Humidor Vs. Coolidor...I have both. I started out with a nice humidor that bought. I wanted something for the living room that people would notice. I keep the cigars that I plan on smoking the soonest in there. Just recently I have set up a coolidor. This is only temperary since I am in the process of building a very large humidor. Again, I want something that looks nice that people notice. If someone askes me to see my cigar collection, I hate rolling out the Igloo Cooler. I did not want to spend $500 on a large humidor, so I am building one myself. Estimated cost: $60 in material and a couple of weeks of time. It has not been difficult so far. I just found a design I liked on the net and got the demensions. I made a blueprint and this weekend I will cut the wood and put it together. Then next week, I will put the finsihing touches on, stain the outside, and get the spanish cedar mounted inside. It has been fun so far.
    Be sure you post pics of the final product - I'd like to see it.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Thread Information