Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Cutters on Planes?

Default Carrying Cutters on Planes?

I am taking a trip in September to Naples, FL. I bought a nice 15 cigar travel humidor. Any suggestions on the best way to bring along a cigar cutter? I am sure they will not let me carry it on. Do you think I can get away with it inside my luggage? Also, anyone in the Naples area know of a good shop to buy cigars? I am going to bring enough down to last me the week, but, if there is a good shop to buy some nice cigars, I would like to bring some back. I live sort of out in the sticks and the closest shop is 25 minutes away. But the guy who works in there was a complete asshole last time I was in there. The next closest shop is 45 min, so that really sucks.

i haven't flown with my cigars yet so i'm not sure of the regulations. check out yellowpages.com for cigarshops. here is the link

yellowpages doesn't catch all the store so there are probably more there.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Awesome...There are a couple shops right down the street from our condo. Thanks!

No blades on the plane at all. That includes cigar cutters. Pre-cut your cigars and bring matches if you plan on smoking at the airports. If not, stow the cutter in your checked baggage.

You can bring a cigar cutter as long as it is packed away in a checked bag, just not in carry-on. BTW, which lake, Lake Elizabeth or Lake Marie, I grew up water skiing on Lake Elizabeth.

Enjoy the Hurricanes down there!
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

reaganyouth84 Guest

You can also take a cigar punch, and punch a hole in the cigar rather than cutting it.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by reaganyouth84
    You can also take a cigar punch, and punch a hole in the cigar rather than cutting it.
    -Mike
    my brother-in-law has used the point of a pen in a pinch, if you don't have a punch.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

reaganyouth84 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mithril
    my brother-in-law has used the point of a pen in a pinch, if you don't have a punch.
    I've used tooth picks before as well.
    -Mike

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I have a travel humidor that I am just going to put in my checked bag. I am going to tuck the cutter inside the humidor. Just wanted to make sure they were not going to confinscate them.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU
    You can bring a cigar cutter as long as it is packed away in a checked bag, just not in carry-on. BTW, which lake, Lake Elizabeth or Lake Marie, I grew up water skiing on Lake Elizabeth.

Enjoy the Hurricanes down there!
    I live right down the street from Lake Marie, We keep our boat on that lake as well. My house is right up the hill on Wilmot Ave, just past were E. Lakeshore Drive ends. Do you have a place in Twin Lakes??

10. Default

I would put my stoagies in my carry-on........but I am the type of person that ALWAYS takes the maximum amount of carry-on allowed.

ETA: You/we can still take stoagies on the plane right??
    The heat around the corner....

According to TSA's website, cutters are allowed in carry-on and in checked baggage...

Look at all their flight rules
    HERE
    Last edited by dfrea; 08-09-2005 at 09:29 AM.

I would still be a bit carefull, the enforcement of these regulations seems to vary an awfull lot.
    Also, I wouldnt put cigars in an unpressurised hold, you get a quite rapid temprature change in there.

BTW: dfrea, I think that your URL is mangled.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe
    I would still be a bit carefull, the enforcement of these regulations seems to vary an awfull lot.
    Also, I wouldnt put cigars in an unpressurised hold, you get a quite rapid temprature change in there.

I think what I am going to do is take the cigars in my travel humi in my carry on luggage. The cutter I am planning on packing in my suitcase. I just wanted to make sure that they were not going to see the cutter in the suitcase in the x ray machine and confinscate it. Thanks for you input.

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe

Yeah, I tried to fix that about 3 times, and still couldn't get it to work. Just go to TSA's website if you're interested...to hell with hyperlinks!

Thanks for the info.

Angry

Yes, you can take cutters in your checked baggage, but surprise, surprise, TSA has come up with a new one to thwart all us red-blooded American Terrorists...er, Tourists...you can't take a lighter or matches with you...not in your luggage, and definitely not in a carry-on...they also tell you that you can't lock your luggage but I still do...occasionally they cut off a lock and look in my bags but I just replace the lock...they're only a few $$$ and mostly it keeps the contents from spilling on the tarmac, or in the possesion of some grubby-handed baggage-handler thief, which there are plenty of regardless of all the "extra" security precautions...now for the lighter episode...I had a nice NIBO 3-jet in my checked luggage and a cheapy 3-jet in my backpack...fortunately my baggage didn't get opened, as they must havwe seen the cigars on the x-ray and let the lighter in it pass, however, they sure made a spectacle about confiscating the lighter in my backpack...this was at La Guardia btw...it was rather obvious I was a cigar smoker, aside from the fact that I'm not a kid...other smoking type materials & cigar mags in my backpack but they not only confiscated the lighter but made me give them my driver's license and recoreded it in some kind of journal...now I'm sure I'm gonna be hassled everytime I go though airport security check-in...what a joke...it's not like I was gonna light my shoe-bomb on fire with the lighter...they make you take off your shoes and they run them through the x-ray, anyway.. .

The people who search you have no sense of humor either. Last summer my whole family went to California together. (Mom, Dad, brothers, Aunts, and Grandma) Since we all had the last name Jones and were flying on the same flight together, we go put on their "NO FLY" list. So we could not check our bags at the curb, we had to go in and wait in line for an hour so that we could check in at the counter. Then we had to get pulled out of line and extensivly checked at each check point. We had to take our shoes off, they had to pat us down and use the wand and search all of our belongings. So I thought maybe the guy who was going to search me would maybe have a sense of humor, but, I found out rather quickly he did not. He had me stand on the mat and put my arms out from my body. He said "if the wand beeps he will lightly pat that spot witt the back of his hand." So I said to him "You better only use the back of your hand or else you are going to get the back of my hand." He told me that if I continue to make it difficult for him to perform his duties that I would be asked to leave the airport. No sense of humor at all! Needless to say, that was the last time I smarted off to anyone inside of an airport.

18. Default

I didnt know where to post this and after going through search i thought this may be a good place to start. I am flying to Europe soon with a friend and I had a few questions about cigars in the airport and on the plane. Im just going to list them and hopefully someone can get back to me with the answers.

1. Do I need to tell the person(s) at checkin that I have cigars or any tobacco products with me?

2. My friend isn't smoking age yet but is getting there very, very soon and he wants to bring a few pack's of Captain Black's with him. If the answer to number 1. is yes then will they confiscate them?

3. If taking them in carry on will they question you about them after scanning your bag and if they are in your pocket will they make you remove them along with metal objects?

Thank you all for your time and sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forums.

The answer to number 1 is no, the more important thing is, why are you letting your friend smoke dog rockets, get him some real cigars, and then maybe you'll have reason to worry. But honestly, you're going to europe and worried about crappy gas station cigars being confiscated? If anything, I hope those pieces of crap get confiscated, then while in Europe you find some real cigars, cubans to be specific and smoke and enjoy those.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

20. Default

An irony: I recently traveled on Southwest, and they (of course) confiscated my lighters. I was also carrying not one but two cheap cutters.

When they took my lighters, I actually asked "what about these?"

They had no problem with the razor blades I was carrying. But apparently the lighters were a major safety hazard? Very wierd.

Bottom line - I'd go with pre-cutting the cigars. I always use that option. Means I don't have ot carry a cutter with me, and it makes it easier to share a cigar with a novice. And if you don't smoke 'em, cut cigars will age just fine in your humidor, no matter what the magazines say.

Thread Information