Thread: help with proper cut

Default help with proper cut

First post. Glad to be a part of this forum. Just recently bought a cigar in the torpedo style, and I would like to know where is the best place to cut it. I could not readily see a cap on more rounded styles. Should I cut just below the tapering shoulder, or closer to the pointed tip? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I usually cut about 3/4 of the way up the tap from the tip.

I've been using a V-cutter on torpedos...gives them a nice cut area that allows for a lot of smoke and flavor...

You don't want to cut to much or you risk it unraveling. I would suggest just cutting a little bit off, then testing the draw, if you can't get anything, cut a bit more.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

thanks for the replies. I am going to cut with razor blades from now on. They are super sharp and I feel more confident in knowing exactly how much of the cap is coming off. Just got a Padron '26 40th Anniv. Just want to make sure I don't screw it up, as I've never smoked that style cigar before.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer
    I've been using a V-cutter on torpedos...gives them a nice cut area that allows for a lot of smoke and flavor...

I second that. V Cutters are great with Torpedos!
    "I Smoke in Moderation.... Just One Cigar at a Time." Mark Twain

As Roham said, make sure and not cut off too much. Always better to start small, if you need more cut off then it is really easy. You can't put a cigar back together if you accidentally cut off too much and it unravels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsey5484
    As Roham said, make sure and not cut off too much. Always better to start small, if you need more cut off then it is really easy. You can't put a cigar back together if you accidentally cut off too much and it unravels.
    This is good advice
    Don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by cls515
    thanks for the replies. I am going to cut with razor blades from now on. They are super sharp and I feel more confident in knowing exactly how much of the cap is coming off. Just got a Padron '26 40th Anniv. Just want to make sure I don't screw it up, as I've never smoked that style cigar before.
    Don't use a razor blade. Go to a cigar shop and pickup a cheap double-bladed cutter. You should be able to find one for $3-$5. Also the Padron you got is either a 1926 or a 4oth anni. They are not the same cigar. Welcome to Csmokers and good luck with your new hobby!

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by grand cru no 2
    Also the Padron you got is either a 1926 or a 4oth anni. They are not the same cigar.
    Darn, I actually caught that and you stole my thunder. I was so proud.

Strange you should mention that. Cigar aficionado and the Padron website both list a cigar titled Padron Serie 1926 40th Anniversary. It was voted 2004 best cigar of the year.

Thread Information