Thread: strike anywhere matches

Default strike anywhere matches

i know this topic came up before. i found some at ACE hardware and bought a box. when i opened the box it smelled of chemicals. has anyone tasted these chemicals when they lit up a cigar with them? i'll be trying them in the next couple days to light up but just wanted some input first.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

I believe what you are smelling is the sulfur (rotten egg smell)..... I use matches occasionally and I always let the match burn off the sulfur before I put it to the cigar.....

Damn...... your lucky (ACE Hardware)..... I got mine from e-bay....... I couldn't find them in NY

ah, that would make sence. i got lucky, i saw them as i was checking out. it was one of those impulse buys.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

matches work fine, as long as you let the sulfur burn off (as stated above). Regular ol lighters can also be used in a similar fashion. Instead of having sulfur to burn off, you just have to prevent the fluid smell from being sucked up into the cigar when you are lighting it. To do this, just hold the flame at the tip for a while. Then remove the flame and start smoking, repeat as necessary. It takes a minute or so to get it burning, but lighters are cheap and the flame lasts a lot longer than a match flame.

5. Default

I've heard the strike anywhere matches are bad news. Maybe something to do with the "strike anywhere" part requires more sulpher?

I thought they stopped making these. Never see them for sale anywhere.

Hello --

These are kind of illegal in many states due to the problem with shipping them. A truck carrying a few hundred cases of these hits a few pot holes and......well, you see the problem -- roasted truck!!

There is an old fashioned hardware store in downtown Falmouth, MA (on Cape Cod) that sells these. I buy few boxes and send them to friends, give them away, use them when camping, etc. They are less than $2 for a good size box. My kids love to play with them - something about strike anywhere matches and kids -- I too loved to play with them when I was a kid.

Like any match, let the chemicals on the end burn off before using with a good cigar or pipe. These are a ice big size and burn long enough to get a cigar going well.

If people are really interested, and want to buy a bunch of them I could act as a middle man and send them out. Anyone who wants to do this should contact me, and I'll get the exact price. You can also call the Tru-Value Hardware store on Main Street in Falmouth if you don't trust me to tell the truth!!!

I'll do for the cost of doing it for forum members. We cigar smokers need to stick together!!!!!!!!

Scott
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Thread Information