Thread: Refilling the Humidifier !

Question Refilling the Humidifier !

New to the forum. Didn't find any info on this in previous posts.
    I'm pretty well educated in anything cigar related but I have yet to find any info on this.
    How much liquid does a humidfier need for a refill? I dont want to overfill it because a) it may leak and destroy some of my prized cigars (obviously I try to shake all excess liquid out but sometimes its a slow leak afterwards) and b) I dont want the humidity level to sky rocket and make my cigars soft.
    Is there any sort of measurement or "rule of thumb" when refilling the humidifiers???

2. Default

I put maybe 3 drops if it starts to look low...

Start small, check the humidity again and then add more if needed. You can always add more but once you overdo it you can't do anything but wait it out or swap it for another humidifier

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by centurycigar
    New to the forum. Didn't find any info on this in previous posts.
    I'm pretty well educated in anything cigar related but I have yet to find any info on this.
    How much liquid does a humidfier need for a refill? I dont want to overfill it because a) it may leak and destroy some of my prized cigars (obviously I try to shake all excess liquid out but sometimes its a slow leak afterwards) and b) I dont want the humidity level to sky rocket and make my cigars soft.
    Is there any sort of measurement or "rule of thumb" when refilling the humidifiers???
    Your post seems to indicate that you're using one of the 'sponge-type' humidifiers. I'd go with the logic of getting the sponge nice and most but NOT soaked. Gradually add solution until you're at 70%.

Also, if you're using the 50/50 solution (Distilled Water/Propylene Glycol), you shouldn't have to worry about the humidity level sky rocketing. The Propylene Glycol in theory will do it's job of keeping your humidor from being overly humidified and at a constant 70%. If you don't have this solution, buy some.

I am currently using the 50/50 solution and it's kept my humidor at a nice stable 70%, no issues.

If you're really getting tired of this type of humidifier, I'd go with a tube full of beads from heartfelt industries per the recommendations from the members on this board. They're a lot less worry and hassle.
    Last edited by godfather; 09-28-2005 at 02:15 PM.

Yeah I using the 50/50 solution which works good. But I refilled them yesterday and my hygrometer went up 73 which is ok, but I like a lower humidity level.
    The thing is just bought a new 300 cnt humidor and they give you those stupid cheap retangle humifiers. Im in the process of replacing them.
    Thank for the recommendation for the bead humidifer, is Paradigm any good???

Also, since my new humidor is large (3 levels, with 2 trays) my 2 digital hygrometers are reading higher (73%) on the lower level (which is where the humdifiers are placed) and lower (67%) on the top level. Is this normal or a sign to replace my humidifiers?????

6. Default Go With Beads

If I was in your boat, I'd probably go with the beads if you're looking to replace your existing humidifiers. From reading past posts, the guy who owns heartfelt industries provides excellent customer service and has a high satisfaction rate on his products.

For more information on beads, and heartfelt (viper is the owner) check out this thread:

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/t98-humidity-beads.html

Heartfelt's website: http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/H...ont%20Page.htm

Good Luck!

Thanks Godfather!
    Im "goin to the mattresses" with my cheap humidifer

8. Default

Thanks Godfather!
    Im "goin to the mattresses" with my cheap humidifer
    BTW, welcome to the forum centurycigar...enjoy your stay. Kudos for using the search engine before posting as well.

thx ! I'll let u know how it works out.

10. Default

thx ! I'll let u know how it works out.
    Yeah, please post an update when you're all setup. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    Yeah, please post an update when you're all setup. Have a good one.
    I replaced the cheap rectangle humidifiers with 2 round high quality Madelaine yesterday and its seems to have evened out the humidity. Just goes to show you cant trust tose cheap humidifers. Im still going to eventually replace these and get the beads! Its just less hassle with them. Now that everything is good in the humi, its ready for my newly bought box of Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage Robustos and my Cuban Punch Punch !

I was told to stay away from PG, because it can affect the taste of a cigar. In addition, I have read on the internet while researching PG that it is harmful to health. But then again, so is smoking, so who cares?

I replaced the cheap rectangle humidifiers with 2 round high quality Madelaine yesterday and its seems to have evened out the humidity. Just goes to show you cant trust tose cheap humidifers. Im still going to eventually replace these and get the beads! Its just less hassle with them. Now that everything is good in the humi, its ready for my newly bought box of Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage Robustos and my Cuban Punch Punch !
    Sounds like what I did. Tossed the black rectangular credo and got the rectangular aluminum bead humidifier. Works great now.

Quote Originally Posted by cls515
    I was told to stay away from PG, because it can affect the taste of a cigar. In addition, I have read on the internet while researching PG that it is harmful to health. But then again, so is smoking, so who cares?
    Seems to be okay but who really knows...

Ethylene & Propylene Glycol

Quote Originally Posted by joshua
    Sounds like what I did. Tossed the black rectangular credo and got the rectangular aluminum bead humidifier. Works great now.
    Joshua...where did you get rectangular aluminum bead humidifiers if I might ask, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer
    Seems to be okay but who really knows...

Ethylene & Propylene Glycol

Joshua...where did you get rectangular aluminum bead humidifiers if I might ask, please?
    You can get them directly from heartfelt: http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/beads_1.html

Blog Entries

I second the beads suggestion, they're virtually fool proof.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    I second the beads suggestion, they're virtually fool proof.
    Yeah, im getting the beads anyway !
    I have a 3 tiered humi 300 cnt. (3 trays and bottom void) so you have to even out the humidity.
    I was thinking of getting the Aluminum humidifer (175 cigars) and a 1oz tube for one of the trays. Do you think this will do the job???? Or do I need more

Yeah, im getting the beads anyway !
    I have a 3 tiered humi 300 cnt. (3 trays and bottom void) so you have to even out the humidity.
    I was thinking of getting the Aluminum humidifer (175 cigars) and a 1oz tube for one of the trays. Do you think this will do the job???? Or do I need more
    Yep.

Had to answer here, I sent you a response to your email.

Thread Information