Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone from the country?

Default anyone from the country?

I was just thinking to myself Autumn is coming, trees will change colors, the weather will turn a little cooler...makes for a great smoke outdoors. Anyone here on this board from the country, or is everyone here from the city? I really like to enjoy a stick out in the fresh air enjoying the scenery of the outdoors. Makes for great peace and reflection. Maybe a useless post, but there it is.

Blog Entries

I live in a very small town in the country, population 2253, in Connecticut.

LOTS of woods around me that's for sure!

However, I'm pretty close to "civilization" Wally World is five minutes away, nearest decent size town of 20,000 is ten minutes away, Hartford is only 45 minutes away.

It's the best of both worlds.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Connecticut, whow way up there! Cool, man. I'm down here in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by cls515
    Connecticut, whow way up there! Cool, man. I'm down here in Texas.
    OK, aside from the occasional sumac, the only trees that turn in the Fall in all of Texas are the Lost Maples in the Bandera area of the Hill Country, McKittrick Canyon in Guadalupe Nat'l Park that straddles the NM state line (also maples), and a few scattered more maples in the Chisos down at Big Bend. Otherwise, Texas does not have Fall colors to speak of. Where do you live csl515?
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Knebworth (pop 4433) is a small town kind of in the countryside, 5 minute walk from my door and I am in the fields and woods.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

I live in a small town of about 5,000 people. We do not have any stop lights, just one main 3-way stop sign in the middle of town. The closest "city" is Lake Geneva that is about 20 min. I am halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago. Both take about 1 hour to get to.

I live in Rye New Hampshire. Seacoast area of the state. Rye, although a town, doesn't have a "down town" Most house lots are an acre or more and everything is still wood. Yeah the trees look nice but when you house is surrounded by a couple dozen full grown oaks raking the leaves gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan
    I live in Rye New Hampshire. Seacoast area of the state. Rye, although a town, doesn't have a "down town" Most house lots are an acre or more and everything is still wood. Yeah the trees look nice but when you house is surrounded by a couple dozen full grown oaks raking the leaves gets old.
    I have one of those wonderfull leaf blowers, even chops up the leaves for compost.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

I like the lawn sweeper too. We have one that tows behind our tractor. it covers about 48" at a time and sweeps the leaves up into a holding bin. Then you can just dump the leaves wherever you want. I usually dump mine into the empty lot next door.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsey5484
    I live in a small town of about 5,000 people. We do not have any stop lights, just one main 3-way stop sign in the middle of town. The closest "city" is Lake Geneva that is about 20 min. I am halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago. Both take about 1 hour to get to.
    We hae ONE stoplight, but it blinks (and they added stopsigns because no one understands what a blinking red light means). Does that count? We used to have one light, but it was replaced with a highway.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    I live in a very small town in the country, population 2253, in Connecticut.

LOTS of woods around me that's for sure!
    Just not a lot of teeth.

I was just up there for the Woodstock Fair last month... The midrifts amazed me. Everyone was either of Shamu proportions or had an incredible midrift. I was looking at cowboy hats and the single most amazing midrift I have ever seen walked by (it may have had a body attached to it, I couldn't tell you). All three of us (myself, a buddy of mine, and my gf) turned in unison.

Anyone here on this board from the country, or is everyone here from the city?
    I'm just from a small town.. Maybe 5000 people now that the yuppies are converging more than ever. It's a 9-by-1 mile island, so it's not so much "country" as it is "ocean". So looking at pretty trees changing color is less interesting to me than watching the waves crash over the rocks.

We are rapidly becoming overpopulated by the Illinois people. All the rich yuppies come up from Chicago and buy up the small cottages that are on the lake and build big summer homes. It has gotten so out of control that even a small run down 2 bedroom cottage that was built in the early 1900's goes for about $500,000. It is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe
    I have one of those wonderfull leaf blowers, even chops up the leaves for compost.

Yeah I looked at one of those the other day. My father-in-law also has a gas powered blower/vac that will mulch and bag the leaves.

The problem I have is I also get a hell of a lot of acorns. Before I go spend 100 bucks on a blower I need to make sure it's strong enough for acorns.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsey5484
    It has gotten so out of control that even a small run down 2 bedroom cottage that was built in the early 1900's goes for about $500,000. It is ridiculous.
    There's a house, little more than a shack, down the street from me that sold for $384,000. It was literally something like 300 square feet with almost no property, RIGHT next to the fire whistle (I'm not sure if the purchaser is aware of this). A far cry from the $75,000 my father paid for the enormous 2600 sq. ft. beast on a huge corner lot he bought when he first came back to the island...

Funny thing is, it's mostly just a status symbol for most people. They're not looking for a nice place to live or a good school system for their kids, they just want the prestigious address.

Where do you live?

I live in the east TX Piney Woods. True, most of the time it is green here. However, there are lots of trees changing colors, too. I live in Palestine, close to Tyler, TX. I have been to the Chisos mountains in west TX. Great place to visit. I have family living over there in a place called Terlingua, population of about 20 or so.

Blog Entries

I live in this small town in Texas that has only 1,144,646 people.

Saytown?

I live in the east TX Piney Woods. True, most of the time it is green here. However, there are lots of trees changing colors, too. I live in Palestine, close to Tyler, TX. I have been to the Chisos mountains in west TX. Great place to visit. I have family living over there in a place called Terlingua, population of about 20 or so.
    I know exactly where Terlingua is - home of one of the older chili cookoffs in TX. I'm in Midland - pop. @ 95,000. not really a small town, but, clear skies (lotsa stars at night) and broad horizons. It seems small town because it's geographically isolated - 1/2-way between DFW and El Paso.

If you like the Chisos - you really should try to go to Guadalupe NP. There's a few walks in that park that're a grunt. The Fall colors are easy to see - short walk from ranger station.

No colors to speak of here - a lot of plants have thorns though. which is cool if you can appreciate the huge diversity of flora on which thorns grow.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Yeah, I have been to that cook off. I think I have been to Guadalupe Nat'l Park, too. Isn't there a look-out point for bald eagles there?

Quote Originally Posted by basil
    I know exactly where Terlingua is - home of one of the older chili cookoffs in TX. I'm in Midland - pop. @ 95,000. not really a small town, but, clear skies (lotsa stars at night) and broad horizons. It seems small town because it's geographically isolated - 1/2-way between DFW and El Paso.

If you like the Chisos - you really should try to go to Guadalupe NP. There's a few walks in that park that're a grunt. The Fall colors are easy to see - short walk from ranger station.

No colors to speak of here - a lot of plants have thorns though. which is cool if you can appreciate the huge diversity of flora on which thorns grow.

I've been to Midland on business. It's a great little town, has some of the best Texas has to offer.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information