Thread: Humi Beads

Default Humi Beads

Just a quick question:

I just recieved as a gift several tubes of humi beads. I do not have a way to check humidification levels, as I am in Afghanistan. How do i refill the tubes with water, and how do i know when they will need to be refilled?

I belong to the site www.clubstogie.com, and they have been great to me, but unfortunatly i do not have a way to access the site on my work computer. <--- shameless plug...

Thanks for any ideas,

LT

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by LT Rich
    Just a quick question:

I just received as a gift several tubes of humi beads. I do not have a way to check humidification levels, as I am in Afghanistan. How do i refill the tubes with water, and how do i know when they will need to be refilled?

I belong to the site www.clubstogie.com, and they have been great to me, but unfortunatly i do not have a way to access the site on my work computer. <--- shameless plug...

Thanks for any ideas,

LT
    Hello LT,

I use these beads in my humidor. The recommendation from the place I bought my tubes from is as follows, or at least the best I can remember:

Wet down 60% of the beads in the tube with distilled water. He recommends a spray bottle. The beads will become clear when they contain water, and more white when dry. Depending on the relative humidity and the storage situation the beads should maintain your RH for a couple weeks before you need to wet them again. The idea is that the beads expel moisture when the humidity is below the designed level, and absorb moisture when the humidity is higher than the designed range. That is the logic behind wetting only 60% of the tube.

Hope that helps,
    TTFN
    Tim

Clear or glass like......... too much moisture

cloudy...... just right

milky white....... too dry

BTW........ thanks for serving

OK, how do i tell if they are the 65% or the 70% variety?

Other than a LABEL when they were packed, I don't think there is a way to tell...
    TTFN
    Tim

He is correct, without the label it is almost impossible. Another way to add distilled water to them is just remove one of the end caps and pour 2-3 teaspoons (approx.) of distilled water on the ehen replace the end cap.

As was said, thanks for helping protect our country.

David

OK, i thought maybe the end caps were color coded, i have black end caps and all the ones i see pictured have red endcaps... i thought maybe there was some significance there...

LT

Thread Information