Thread: Spanish Cedar and Humidors

Just a tip!

I would suggest using only Spanish Cedar when lining or making your humidor. Aromatic cedars like those that you'd line a cedar closet with or use in a hamster cage are definately not what you'd want to use. The strong aromatic cedars impart a rather pungent odor and would make your cigars unsmokeable (except for the few people that will smoke anything). The odor is so strong from those cedars that it will even permeate through plastic bags. Be careful out there when trading cigars and always ask first how your prospective trading partner is storing his smokes.

2. Default

I was actually trying to find some research on this very topic. I’d like to build a nice walk in humidor out of one of the extra closets in my house. Spanish cedar can get quite expensive. I think I read somewhere that you can use certain types of kiln dried mahogany. Does anyone have any experience building a walk-in humidor?

--Jack

I built one of my humidors with mahogany door skins over celotex and 1x2 and 2x2 frame, built thewhole thing to slide intoan oldmetal gun cabinet. I don't know if the mahogany will have the same ageing characteristics as Spanish Cedar, but I do know that it does not adversly affect the sticks in anyway.
    No signature required, pay any bank.

Spanish "cedar" is actually a misnomer. SC is indeed a type of mahogany and not a true cedar. Nevertheless, I agree that you should only use SC. The other acceptable woods are much more expensive and harder to find.

Thread Information