Thread: Advice on buying a humidor

Default Advice on buying a humidor

Newbie here. I just recently discovered the world beyond Swisher Sweets. I'm done with those dry sticks. I'll admit that I'm still sticking with cigarillos, though. At this point, I'm really digging a few Macanudo Maduro Ascots that I picked up and stuck in a plastic baggie with one of those humidifying patches. I'll probably move up to a larger Macanudo Maduro later.

Anyway, I'd like to pick up a humidor. I'm looking for a sweet deal, of course, but I'm also wondering what sort of qualities I'm looking for. I'd like something in a 50 count.

I'm considering The Artisan or The Artisan with drawer on this site:
    http://www.premiumhumidors.com/shop/...atID=2&SubID=4

Does that look like a good deal? Should I be hitting up eBay instead?
    Thanks for any advice.
    I'll probably pick up one of those bead tubes after I buy the humidor.

First off...... let me say....... Welcome from Queens, NY

and if you plan on hanging around here.... you're gonna need one of these......http://www.igloo-store.com/product_d...=IGL+MARINE+48

If you are looking for a smaller sized humidor, I recently bought a Savoy and it is pretty good for the dollar. If you want to have boxes of cigars, get the coolerdor.

Welcome to the boards! Buy a nice 100-150 count humidor first. See how addicted you become to this hobby. Then, if you need, get the coolidor. You will want a nice humidor to show off your cigars, but, a coolidor is nice to store the bulk cigars in.

yeah go with a 100-150 to start... you'll be suprised how fast it will fill up. I'm trying to smoke as many as I can to make room for more! A coolidor is a good buy once you start aquiring multiple boxes of cigars. Personally, I prefer the look of a cabinet, but for the price, a collidor is hard to beat.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 8-5-8
    yeah go with a 100-150 to start... you'll be suprised how fast it will fill up. I'm trying to smoke as many as I can to make room for more! A coolidor is a good buy once you start aquiring multiple boxes of cigars. Personally, I prefer the look of a cabinet, but for the price, a collidor is hard to beat.
    I would love to buy a nice cabinet! My wife I think would have a fit though. So, I am building a foot locker humi. There are some things that are just not worth arguing over.

The Artisan looks cool, but personally, i don't trust 'dors with those glass (or plexiglass, whatever) tops. There are a few problems with clear tops. First, the clear top may let you see in, but it also lets light in, and if its in a place with direct light, it >could< damage your cigars, or it might make the top side lighter than the bottom side, so that it won't look as great when you're actually smoking it. Also, since you have differeing humidities on the inside and outside, the wood expands to a different extent, and the glass is in the middle, and frequently causes a bad seal. And since the light can get it, it can cause a mini "green house effect" and put your cigars far above the reccomended tempeurature. Also, I have a humidor similar to that "breifcase" model and thoroughly enjoy it. I'm a sleek metal case kinda guy though, and someday, I may get a fancy little cabinet-type humidor. My other suggestions would be to check out eBay, it couldn't hurt. My best advise, however, would be to get a humidor with an outside-reading hygro. That way, you can just check your humidity at a glance while walking by, and not open your 'dor excessivly, leting out the nicely humidified air. That's just my feelings on the topic, hope some of it was useful.

P.S. Congrats on moving past Swisher Sweets, its a big step from gas-station/Wal-Mart smokes to premiums
    Last edited by MadurosRock; 10-07-2005 at 08:45 AM.

Thread Information