Thread: New guy

Default New guy

I'm new to the site and new to smoking cigars! I have tried a few differnt one so far trying to find out what I like the best. I've tried a couple CAO's including the eXtreme (that thing got me high as a kite). And a couple Pardons, a 1964 anv, and a maduro. So far the one I like the best was a Romeo y Julieta Reserve Maduro. But I have a few in my humidor I still need to try. I have a Trinidad, a Montecristo white lable, a CAO MX2, a Fuente Fuente Opus X, A Rocky Patel Vintage 1990, and a La Gloria Serie R that is almost black in color. That thing looks great. So which one do y'all think I should smoke next and which one should a save for a special day?

Blog Entries

I'm curious about the La Gloria Serie R. Cigars that dark have always been hit or miss for me. Smoke it and let us know how you like it.

Right now I'm getting over the Flu so it would be a waste to smoke anything, but hopefully I will get around to it by Friday, thats pertty much my smoke day.

people are always going nuts about opus x, and they are good, but I don't think they're worth what I've paid for them ($20) doubt i'd buy another.

The Cigar shop I go to has pertty much everything, I got my Opus X for $13. Today I smoked the CAO Mx2 and I thought it was a great smoke. Very even burn good ash very smooth and not a bit harsh. I plan on buying some more of these.

I have had the MX2, great smoke indeed......

Quote Originally Posted by JulesCigarQuest
    I have had the MX2, great smoke indeed......
    i just tried one on saturday. very nice

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff
    I'm new to the site and new to smoking cigars! I have tried a few differnt one so far trying to find out what I like the best. I've tried a couple CAO's including the eXtreme (that thing got me high as a kite). And a couple Pardons, a 1964 anv, and a maduro. So far the one I like the best was a Romeo y Julieta Reserve Maduro. But I have a few in my humidor I still need to try. I have a Trinidad, a Montecristo white lable, a CAO MX2, a Fuente Fuente Opus X, A Rocky Patel Vintage 1990, and a La Gloria Serie R that is almost black in color. That thing looks great. So which one do y'all think I should smoke next and which one should a save for a special day?
    Let me ask you three questions based on a system called the Palette Profile.

Do you like spicy foods?

Do you drink coffee black or with cream and sugar?

Do you like dark beer?

Based on these three questions, I can point you to a cigar you will enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by cockyhoskins

Do you like spicy foods?

Do you like dark beer?

well, i wanna play, too

yes, i'm cajun
    in the past year, i've liked less and less sugar in my coffee, now its black
    and guiness is my favorite beer

did you think of the system yourself?

QuietC,

No, I did not. Someone on a different forum showed us once. His name was masterblenderandroller (in case you run across him). He owned a bricks-and-mortar shop and is extremely knowledgeable. I thought it was awesome and have tried to use it since.

Sorry I haven't responded faster but its been awhile since I have been on.
    I like spicy food like Mexican and Hot Wings etc...
    I have never liked the taste of coffee so I don't drink it.
    And yes I like dark beer.
    Of all the cigars I have tried I seem to like Maduros better, but I have since smoked a Trinidad and a Trinidad Marduro and liked the reg Trinidad better. I also smoked the Montecristo white lable and thought itwas a very flat cigar without much taste. Anyway let me knw what you think and I'll try to keep track.

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff
    I like spicy food like Mexican and Hot Wings etc...
    I have never liked the taste of coffee so I don't drink it.
    And yes I like dark beer.
    Spicy foods tells me you have a slightly advanced taste, you can handle a little strength.
    If you don't drink coffee because of the taste, you can count out earthy cigars.
    But you like dark beer, which strongly points to a preference for a slightly bitter or hoppy flavor.

To be honest, I am not surpised you liked the Trinidad. Trinidads are known for their spicy flavor, although they tend to have hints of wood and other earth tones.

Which one were you smoking?

The Robusto is full-bodied and spicy, but has hints of leather and other earthy flavors.
    The Mini Belicoso is also very peppery, but also has hints of earth tones.
    I would also try a CAO MX2 Robusto or, if you can find it, a Padilla Hybrid Blend Robusto

You will also enjoy the OpusX very much as they tend to be spicy, with complex earth tones; not for the mild fellas.

For a cheaper cigar you might try a Camacho Monarca Maduro or a Black Pearl Cobre Robusto.

Let me know your thoughts.

do you know of any other systems? because i dont drink coffee or beer

Why don't you drink coffee? Taste or other?

Why don't you drink beer? Taste or other?

Cockyhoskins,

Would liking coffee with cream and sugar as opposed to black, no sugar point towards a milder earth toned cigar or would it indicate a sweeter, smoother smoke?

Default OK Cocky.....you've got me hooked...

I like spicy foods
    My coffee I usually drink black - no sugar
    I hate dark beers

(really)

So whadda ya say?????

One piece of advice I always give someone starting out smoking cigars. A high price doesn't always get you a great cigar.

Drake makes a good point on the Opus X. I really don't think any cigar is worth $20. They taste good but not $20 good.

IMHO some of the best cigars for the money on the market would be CAO Gold (standard CAO line) Torpedo - Romeo y Julieta Clemenceau (tubed) - Fuente Double Chateau Sungrown - Bauza Pyramid or Fabuloso - La Flor Dominicana Ligero line - Punch Deluxe Chateau L natural wrap - Camacho SLR line - Rocky Patel's "Edge" - La Gloria Corona Gorda (Serie R are nice too! ) and I could go on and on and on.

Most of the cigars I mentioned sell for around $5 each. You can even get some three and four dollar smokes that are truly great like Maria Mancini and Gispert. But most of the fun with cigars is finding out for yourself! EXPLORE!

I never got the bug for maduro though. Strange.

Have fun.

Mark

The Trinidad Maduro was a Robusto the other Trinidad was a larger size and I liked it better so I'm going to try another Maduro in a lager size. I love the MX2 I think I'll keep a few of those around. The Camacho Maduro is one that is on my list to get I'll look for the Padilla. Thanks for the helping me out. By the way I do have a OpusX, got it for $13.

well i like spicy food
    i just dont like the taste of coffee, cappuchino i like
    and beer i hate the taste of beer, dont know if theres other alcohols you could substitute for on this system.

20. Default

Here's another useful tool for finding a cigar:
    http://www.thecigarhumidor.com/maywesuggest.php

Quote Originally Posted by cockyhoskins

Do you like spicy foods?

Do you like dark beer?

"If there's no smoking in heaven, I shall not go." -- Mark Twain

TheCigarHumidor.com

Thread Information