Thread: Temperature & Tobacco Beetles !

Default Temperature & Tobacco Beetles !

Hey Guys, need some input...I live in a apartment building and they recently turn off the air conditioning for the winter, so the next few days have been a little warm. I noticed that my humidor temperature has risen to high of 77. Is there anyway of lower the temp using practical methods??????
    Also, i realise that tobbacco beetles are a concern after a certain temp, but how high does it have to go before they start ruining my life?????And I know usually the first sign of beetles is a pin size hole in some of your cigars, but is there any other warning signs to look for before that happens?????
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar."
    -- Mark Twain

Try placing the humidor on the floor. It should be few degrees cooler down there. I don't know where you live but the temp today in WI is in the 50's. The pinsize holes in the cigars are the first sign of the beetles. Good luck.

bigpoppapuff Guest

77 should be no problem....the beetles start to get busy after an extended bit of 85+...

Relax, i'm in Fl, and my humidor is practically always in the mid-upper 70's I've never had trouble with the curse of the tobacco beetle, so you shouldn't either. I think that now-a-days, the main worry is about keeping your humidity right, so as not to allow mold. So just relax, and smoke one of your sticks, you'll feel better.

i recently had an encounter with a tabacco beetle. i was really confused because the humidity was correct and the temp was about 65 degrees. luckily the beetles only got one of my sticks. best wishes that this never happens to you.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Are these beetles (or their larvae) dormant in all cigars?

bigpoppapuff Guest

most of your better mfrs freeze all their cigars prior to boxing or bundling them.....

bigpoppapuff Guest

TOBACCO BEETLES

Since it's the hot month of August, it's a good time to discuss the dreaded tobacco beetle. These little monsters are unfortunately a fact of life for manufacturers, retailers and consumers alike, but they can be controlled.

To defeat this enemy, you must first understand him. No bigger than the size of a pinhead, just the mention of this little l'Enfant Terrible is enough to send cigar lovers into a tizzy. In the worst case, it can invade your humidor at home and render it into a pile of dust. These suckers eat like pigs, spread like wildfire, and lives for two things: tobacco and heat. Adult beetles measure about two to three millimeters long and live only 2 to 4 weeks, and thrive in humid climates and hot temperatures above 74 degrees.

Tobacco beetles have a life cycle - egg, larva, pupa and adult - that lasts about 10 to 12 weeks total. The female adult can chew its way through paper or tobacco leaf, and finds in cigars a suitably warm environment to lay its eggs, small white ovals that are too small for the human eye to detect. The eggs, up to 100 per birth cycle, hatch within six to 10 days, giving birth to the larvae. The larvae are what actually eat the tobacco to live and grow.

Once cigars have been brought home, consumers should inspect their humidors every few days, especially if they live in a hot or humid climate, or purchase cigars more than once a week. A telltale sign is a pinhole-sized circle in your cigar. If you see a beetle, don't panic; most of your cigars are probably salvageable.

Even though manufacturers and retailers take precautions against beetles, it's not impossible for a few to sneak through into your cigars. So, if you see signs of damage, act immediately. Put all the cigars from an infected humidor in a zipped plastic bag and place them in your freezer for three days. If the cigars are still in their box, put the whole box into the freezer. Treat all of your cigars, because if you have one damaged cigar, you have to assume they're all at risk. Freezing infested cigars kills any beetles or eggs inside, preventing your beetle problem from spreading. After three days in the deep freeze, move the cigars into your refrigerator to avoid shocking the smokes from the temperature change, which could split their wrappers. In the meantime, wipe your empty humidor clean with a damp cloth. Don't use any type of cleaner or disinfectant - it will ruin the wood and leave an odor that will taint your cigars. After one day in the refrigerator, the cigars can be returned to the humidor. Include some strips of cedar to absorb the excess moisture being released.

Now it's time to address the source of the problem - what caused the beetles to hatch. Your humidor was probably too moist or too hot. Use a digital hygrometer thermometer to get an accurate reading, and consider whether the room that houses your humidor isn't subject to temperature extremes when you're not around. Get it away from heaters, make sure the box is not in direct sunlight, and check your humidification system.

i live in an unairconditioned dorm... so in the begining of the fall semester my humidor was often between 75 degrees to 88 degrees i kept my humidity between 68 and 65 and i have not had any signs of beetles but i do check all my cigars every week or so...
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

All your comments are very comforting !
    I almost didn't sleep last night cause I was so worried about my 200+ cigars becoming beetle food ! I'll tell you what they sure have expensive taste
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar."
    -- Mark Twain

11. Default Pictures of the Beetles in Action

Just to stir things up, check out ggiese's post....this is what really disturbed me:

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/showpost...84&postcount=3

Ohhhhhhh The Humanity !
    Look Away Guys !
    -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    Just to stir things up, check out ggiese's post....this is what really disturbed me:

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/showpost...84&postcount=3

hey, a reference to another post, not made by Roham, amazing.

P.S. Those pictures have made me a little nauseous, i truly feel for the poor fellow who opened that box, and probably broke down and cried (or got really really angry)
    Last edited by MadurosRock; 10-07-2005 at 03:16 PM.

well i'm glad i didn't see that when my beetle attacked.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

That is an aweful site! I hope I never have to deal with that kind of lose!

16. Default

Is this why you get a pin hole in a cigar once in a while? Or......is there another reason?
    "No one can tell me what is a good cigar -- for me. I am the only judge. There are no standards -- no real standards. Each man's preference is the only standard for him, the only one which he can accept, the only one which can command him."
    ~ Mark Twain

Thread Information