Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savoy recommendations?

Default Savoy recommendations?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Savoy humidors. Is the quality reasonable? I don't want to shell out $1000 on a desktop humidor, and these are made by Ashton for a reasonable price. Are there any other recommendations for a quality desktop for approx $100?

Yes, I own one.
    Here's their website, if you haven't already seen it. I own the medium-sized cigar top model and am very happy. Well made, good seal, stylish.
    Also, Holt's is having a sale on the red and blue models, if you like those styles. (40% off).

I'm no expert on humidors, but I love my Savoy. Display it proudly.
    "There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar. " -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

BTW, mine basically is a nice box with an adjustable separator in the middle.
    It comes with a nice looking analog hygrometer that you mount to the lid in a recessed spot, although I now also use a digital inside the box. The analog seems like it's pretty accurate though.
    It also come with a Savoy humidifying unit (typiical sponge-in-a-box that you can see if you scroll down on this page ) that you can also mount on the lid, or keep inside. I'm using humidity beads now instead.
    There are no drawers or lift-out shelves.

The large and X-large come with a lock. They *MAY* also come with a lift-out shelf, but I would call Holts (or whomever) to verify this.
    "There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar. " -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

he he, i get to be the first to say, get a coolidor. much less expenive and you can store alot more.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

A real humidor looks so much better than a cooler though. If you skimp out on the price, might as well start buying cheep cigars to put in it.

If you're guided by purely the cheapest way to store large quantities of cigars, then the coolidor is the way to go.
    If you put some weight on style and attractiveness for storing at least some of your cigars, especially when offering a cigar to someone, then you need to spend a bit extra on a humidor. It's like offering a fine cognac to someone in a Dixie cup (or even for yourself). Somehow it detracts from the pleasure

My Savoy is stylish, sits in my living room and has been rock-solid in holding humidity. Plus it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Beyond a certain point, the cost of "better" (read more-expensive) humidors is not in their ability to function, but in higher end features like finer woodworking joinery, better woods, extra drawers or shelves, etc. Just like a coolidor will maintain humidity. You just need to decide on what you want.

Best of both worlds obviously.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

I find the thoughts of a cooler being "cheap looking" a little harsh.

There are 100 ways to do a cooler, if you want it to look awesome, check this out:

Click me!

Great cooler pics. Personally, I've thought about spray painting my cooler, solid black, and building a base for it. Yeah, this seems like alot of work, but the finished project could look really great!

and StJohn, that sig image is sick! lol

Its kinda like putting a nice interior in a pinto. It works and looks good... but whats the real point.

Then again I'm probably the third most disliked person on the boards so what do I know.

I don't have the money right now to buy more humidors, but I will just keep the one I have and manage. I just can't bear the thought of putting my cigars in a cooler. Call me a snob, some day I want to have a dozen fine ass humidors sitting on a bookshelf packed with cigars looking like I am da man!!
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    I don't have the money right now to buy more humidors, but I will just keep the one I have and manage. I just can't bear the thought of putting my cigars in a cooler. Call me a snob, some day I want to have a dozen fine ass humidors sitting on a bookshelf packed with cigars looking like I am da man!!
    Until that time you can mature your fine cigars in a cheap old cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeman
    Yes, I own one.
    Here's their website, if you haven't already seen it. I own the medium-sized cigar top model and am very happy. Well made, good seal, stylish.
    Also, Holt's is having a sale on the red and blue models, if you like those styles. (40% off).

I'm no expert on humidors, but I love my Savoy. Display it proudly.
    I have the same cigar top humi. I like it very much. I also have a small cooler with a crystal bead tube in it. The cigar top burlwood wins hands down for looks. These are all I need as I am not buying boxes of cigars yet. For a cheap humidor there is nothing better than a cooler. You don't have to buy extra stuff. I hijacked one from around the house and it works great. I think I payed the local guy more for the tube of humidity crystals than I did for the cooler. Coolidor fans will tell you to just prepare for buying boxes and maybe thats true. but if you are only buying samplers and packs of single or a few cigars you want to try then you need less storage space so plan accordingly. No matter how you store usually the less air space the better. Then there is long term storage but thats a whole different thread.

Good Luck
    Remember to breathe

Quote Originally Posted by Kayakinboy
    I find the thoughts of a cooler being "cheap looking" a little harsh.

There are 100 ways to do a cooler, if you want it to look awesome, check this out:

Click me!

:
    I do admit that looks kinda cool.
    But given a choice, I'd still prefer
    this.

Boils down to how much you're willing to spend, and what your tastes are.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentChamber
    Its kinda like putting a nice interior in a pinto. It works and looks good... but whats the real point.

Then again I'm probably the third most disliked person on the boards so what do I know.
    Well, personally, I could give a hoot what you think. Aren't you late for a clan meeting?

And while Aristocrat makes really great stuff, would you rather spend 2,300 on a humidor, or spend maybe 50 and spend the rest on cigars? This is something I learned the hardway! They both do the same job, just one is "flashy".

I'd like that to, and I'll buy one when I win the lottery and own a house big enough to accomodate it in style. For the meen time I will stick with the hybrid cooler and humidor solution. Best thing about coolers is when you outgrow a coolidor you just buy a bigger cooler and you then have more room for beer on a hot day in the garden.

Yeah I've read a few posts and figured a coolidor would be recommended. As of right now, I really don't want 500 cigars....I'd just like to have about 15 or so quality sticks to break out on occassions with a friend or from time to time. I think I will go with the smaller version Savoy offers. I have already ordered the beads in the tube from Heartfelt and the digital hygrometer from Credo. I'll use those in the Savoy instead of the factory hygrom/humidifier. I think it will be ok for the time being. Maybe if I become more interested in the hobby I will invest in a Daniel Marshall or the like. Thanks for all the replies.

My only other comment would be to take a good look at the medium size.
    For a small price increment (about $10), you can double the storage capacity.
    You can look at some prices here.
    I just say this because as people here will attest to, you often land up collecting more cigars than you ever thought you would.
    If you really think you'll stay at that 15-30 cigar level, then the small is fine. (Unless you smoke Churchills all the time, it'll probably hold more than the 25 stated cigars).
    And.....if you land up going nuts, then get the coolidor for the closet.

Default I have a Savoy Large

I have the large Bubinga Savoy humidor . I also replaced the savoy humidifier but with a Paradigm 100 . The analog hygro works good but I also added a digital hygro . It has a lift out tray and a lock . Beautiful humidor and very well made . Passes the whoosh test with flying colors . My next humi will most likely be an extra large savoy or if savoy makes a cabinet . I bought mine at a local shop (on columbus blvd in Philly) for $120.00 .

Welcome aboard Bubba-nj, nice to see a first post that just slides into the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe
    Until that time you can mature your fine cigars in a cheap old cooler.

heh, well if I can afford to buy 'em faster than I smoke 'em, I will but not so far.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information