Thread: Some newbie humidor questions

1. Default Some newbie humidor questions

Hi all :) First post here - cigar newbie. A couple of questions:

1) I made a "mini-tupperdor" with a 16 quart cooler. I built a cedar "insert" with some left over closet/floor tongue-in-groove I had. But when I use this - the cedar is overpowering! I can't even really smell the tobacco when it is in there. Is this going to flavor the cigars strongly? Any way to "season" the wood to reduce the smell?

2) With the cheapie humidifier I bought it tends to overhumidify (around 80%). I orderered a HeartFelt 70% tube but it's been about a week. Will this cause any problems or is a week not going to hurt?

This is according to a Digital Hygrometer that I have. The cheapie analog never says it rises above 72% - wierd?

Welcome to the board.

First off, loose the cedar insert. It is probably american cedar or red cedar if it was used in your closet. It is not the same as "spanish" cedar used in Humidors. As a side note spanish cedar is not actually cedar. There are a number of reasons not to use the red cedar, which can be found here or google. The Tube should help but your digital probably isn't 100% accurate, it is probably a few percentage points off. As for the analog, do the salt test. Again use the search feature on the board for info on procedure.

finally temperature and out side humidity effects the relative humidity also.

There have been lots of discussions back and forth on the board so if you search your questions you will probably find the answers.

3. Default

First off, welcome aboard!

What kind of cedar are you using? Anything other than kiln-dried spanish cedar will probably impart an odd flavour to your cigars.

If you think your humi is running a bit wet, just open it for a while. Assuming you live in a dry climate, this should let a little of the humidity out.

4. Default

It is red cedar. I should have asked first - all that time I spent building a pretty box. Oh well, live and learn.

I've been opening it up every night to try and dry it out a little bit also...

Thanks!

bigpoppapuff Guest

get rid of the red cedar....

Welcome aboard.....I agree, get rid of the wood inside. Unless it is spanish cedar, it does not belong near your cigars. I built a coolidor out of a 60qt. cooler. I don't have any wood inside of it and I have the beads and it keeps at 70% no problem. As long it has a good seal, it will hold the humidity.

Once you get rid of the cedar, you may need something to keep your cigars in within the coolidor. Most cigar stores will give (or sell you cheaply) old cigar boxes. Pick up some nice wood one and put your cigars in there, then in the collidor.

80% humidity for a week won't kill the cigars. Once you get the beads, your job will be a whole lot easier.
    "There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar. " -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

If you urethane the shelves you made then you can still use them. It will completely block the smell.

I just toddle down to my local cigar shop and pick up his left over cedar boxes. I fill them with my cigars and place them into my collidor... Works VERY well for me!!!

Yeah, it's pretty confusing that they labeled Spanish cedar as such, somone a long time ago, jsut thouhgt that it had a cedary smell, and named it thusly. but yeah, only spanish cedar for shelves, and definatly only the kiln-dried if it's gonna touch your sticks (the non-kiln-dried [or under-kiln-dried] can sometimes "weep" sap, and get all sticky.) I'd assume that if you're putting a box or something on the shelf, then any spanish cedar'd be ok (i'd still only reccomend the kiln-dried). ggeise probably has the best idea, just waltz down to your local cigar shoppe, and ask if you can have any extra boxes, or if you can't find them, then various online shoppes usually sell empty boxes in like 10-packs for fairly cheap, and if they say "no", i think you'll see an occasional empty box on cigarbid.com (or eBay for that matter).

As for your hygro's, the chances are that they're both off in different directions, do the salt test to find out, your analog may just need adjustment.
    "A good cigar, a good cutter, good friends and a good 3700° F lighter is all you really need." ~Me

Default Lose the Western Red Cedar

Most likely the type of cedar you have is western red cedar , used in closets to keep moth's and other pest's away . Termites won't even chew on it until it is very rotted . Bug's simply can't stand the smell . You would be better off with out any wood than to use anything other than Spanish Cedar .

12. Default

Thanks for all the replies :) Got my large heartfelt tube today. I'll check the readings in the morning since it's probably storing a bit of water in the tobacco.

Thread Information