Thread: Is your cigar canoeing/running?

Default Is your cigar canoeing/running?

What do you do when your cigar burns unevenly?

There are a number of methods I use. If it runs right from the lighting of it, maybe a second match can help straighten it out. Or some light blowing on the cherry to heat it up a bit. Sometimes just letting it sit in the ashtray for a few minutes with the run on top will straighten it out. Or just puffing on it a few times in succession, again with the run ontop.

What about you guys???

I'll wet the tip of my finger and run it across the edge that is running. A couple of times seems to do the trick.

The problem can often be alleviated with the method of lighting. Your goal is light the end as evenly as possible. When lighting the cigar, it is best when you apply as little of the flame to the end of the cigar as possible. This will prevent the tobacco from getting charred, or carbonized, and imparting an unpleasant taste unto it. To do this, hold the flame about 2 inches away from the cigar, and slowly draw long puffs of air through the cigar. The flame should jump up to the cigar. With each new puff, rotate the cigar about a quarter of a turn. Continue this for 4-5 puffs and then inspect your work. If there is a tiny unlit spot, you can blow on it to accelerate the glowing coal to drift over to it. Then, take one or two steady puffs and then leave the cigar alone for at least 2 minutes, as the first 1/8th to 3/16th of ash builds. You have laid the foundation of a cigar that will burn perfectly.

If you do experience a run, simply rotate the cigar so that the run is on top, which will allow the rest to catch up. You will get the hang of it.

i'm with cocky on this one.

the better you get at lighting a cigar the less this happens. just as with every other part of enjoying a cigar, take your time and do it right and your enjoyment increases.

Default hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by cockyhoskins
    The problem can often be alleviated with the method of lighting. Your goal is light the end as evenly as possible. When lighting the cigar, it is best when you apply as little of the flame to the end of the cigar as possible. This will prevent the tobacco from getting charred, or carbonized, and imparting an unpleasant taste unto it. To do this, hold the flame about 2 inches away from the cigar, and slowly draw long puffs of air through the cigar. The flame should jump up to the cigar. With each new puff, rotate the cigar about a quarter of a turn. Continue this for 4-5 puffs and then inspect your work. If there is a tiny unlit spot, you can blow on it to accelerate the glowing coal to drift over to it. Then, take one or two steady puffs and then leave the cigar alone for at least 2 minutes, as the first 1/8th to 3/16th of ash builds. You have laid the foundation of a cigar that will burn perfectly.

If you do experience a run, simply rotate the cigar so that the run is on top, which will allow the rest to catch up. You will get the hang of it.

I think if i left my cigar sit for two minutes after lighting, it might go out lol! I keep my cigars in a 70-75% enviornment. I suppose i should try lowering it?
    With glasses high, we raised a cry - freedom had arrived

The tobacconist at my local shop gaver me this trick . . .

Hold the cigar weith the "run" on top. Blow through the cigar gently then take 3 or 4 good puffs on the cigar.

I tried this and it worked rather well. The wet finger mentioned by Cocky works really well too.

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    The wet finger mentioned by Cocky works really well too.
    i always do that with joints, but i haven't tried it on a cigar

Assuming that there is not a "dead spot" in the cigar, which is where there is a poor roll that you can't do anything about, I find that taking a good torch and toasting the wrapper that is trailing the run will ususaly clear up the problem.

Carlos
    Life is to short to b!tch...Get over it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    i always do that with joints, but i haven't tried it on a cigar

haha yea i do that with J's too
    With glasses high, we raised a cry - freedom had arrived

Thread Information