Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Review These - Reviews

1. Default

I am DYING for Review #2!

Oh, shite!

I'll smoke it tonight or tomorrow.
    I was wondering why there's a cigar with no band sitting in there.

Quote Originally Posted by thepyrofish
    Oh, shite!

and.......

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by thepyrofish
    Oh, shite!

LAST EDIT: 11/22/05 on when you reviewed the FIRST cigar?

It's been almost 3 weeks, why haven't you sent out the cigars??? Unacceptable it's taken this long and people are nagging you to follow-up on your status of this. This should be YOUR responsibility, not other members of this board. Take care of what needs to be done please.
    Last edited by godfather; 12-12-2005 at 01:19 PM.

Ok, I smoked the #2 stick tonight. It was a nice-looking torpedo, @5 1/4". Wrapper a little darker than natural, pre-light aroma was non-remarkable - just didn't smell much. Draw was easy and it started out ok, some flavor. After it was going good, it tasted a little grassy and didn't change much. Smoked most of it - I was outside and was getting cold. It was not a bad cigar, but I wouldn't buy another one - if it's the cheap one, there's other cheap ones I like lots more. If it ain't the cheap one, oh well.

Stand by for second review - probably tomorrow.

edit. Well, Texas has more than it's fair share of sunny weather. I enjoy a smoke on my lunch break and often do so in my back yard as I work pretty close to home. However, it's snowing here today and I'll be keeping my southern ass indoors. Second review'll have to wait til I can find a warm place to relax - maybe this evening, maybe tomorrow pm.
    Last edited by basil; 12-16-2005 at 01:52 PM.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Hum... a torpedo without much flavor... I can take a guess at that.

Ok, I smoked my second one (finally) so here it goes.

This one had the darker wrapper, a little rougher than the first. I thought the prelight draw tasted fairly strong, and I anticipated a nice flavorful smoke to end my evening.

Either my palette was seriously off last night or I was sent the nastiest cigar on earth. The first little bit was milder, but tasted of burning leaves, or grass. No strange coconutty hints for me to confuse you with here. Maybe nastiest cigar on earth was an overreaction. It did smooth out about halfway, but if the cigar was meant to taste the way it tasted to me, I don't think I would ever pay for one. I was with friends, and I had a nice place to smoke (indoors woohoo!) so I finished it, but had I been sitting by a campfire, and not obligated to review the cigar, it would have hit the pit within the first inch or so.

Alright, go ahead. Tell me this one was Opus. I'm ready for my public humiliation. Just get on with it

8. Default

#1 - Monecristo
    #2 - Roly

You chose wisely!

But a Roly shouldn't be THAT bad... Maybe I shouldn't have stored it with my White Owls ;)

Quote Originally Posted by basil
    Ok, I smoked the #2 stick tonight. It was a nice-looking torpedo, @5 1/4". Wrapper a little darker than natural, pre-light aroma was non-remarkable - just didn't smell much. Draw was easy and it started out ok, some flavor. After it was going good, it tasted a little grassy and didn't change much. Smoked most of it - I was outside and was getting cold. It was not a bad cigar, but I wouldn't buy another one - if it's the cheap one, there's other cheap ones I like lots more. If it ain't the cheap one, oh well.

Stand by for second review - probably tomorrow.

edit. Well, Texas has more than it's fair share of sunny weather. I enjoy a smoke on my lunch break and often do so in my back yard as I work pretty close to home. However, it's snowing here today and I'll be keeping my southern ass indoors. Second review'll have to wait til I can find a warm place to relax - maybe this evening, maybe tomorrow pm.
    allright, a sunny Texas afternoon found me outside with cigar #1. This was another torpedo, 6 1/4", about a 50 ring. Natural wrapper, or maybe some variation of rosado, smooth, few veins. Good construction. It had a pleasant tobacco odor to it before lighting. The draw was medium, like I prefer. After lighting, I knew from the first draw this was the better cigar. Tons of flavor from the start and lots of smooth creamy smoke that just got better. It never became harsh or bitter until about the last 1 inch or so. This was definitely the better cigar, and I'm going to guess it was the more expensive one as well. If it's in my price range I'll buy more when I find out what it is.

So, thanks rpcky16 for the cigars and for a great smoke!!
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    #1 - Monecristo
    #2 - Roly

You chose wisely!

But a Roly shouldn't be THAT bad... Maybe I shouldn't have stored it with my White Owls ;)

Um... the way I'm reading it he gave the roly the better review...

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentChamber
    Then one of us obviously drinks too much. :)

Maybe Pyro can clarify...

Then your way of reading sucks and should be cast into the abyss!

Nevermind your right, but when you review you should SAY WHO THE FUCK THE CIGARS ARE FROM! We have two differnt people reviewing cigars at the same time... fucking fuckady fuck fuck.

Nevermind your right, but when you review you should SAY WHO THE FUCK THE CIGARS ARE FROM! We have two differnt people reviewing cigars at the same time... fucking fuckady fuck fuck.
    Um, I believe I did include the name of the person who sent cigars. Refer to post #29.
    - Tom Robbins

15. Default

Come on man. Don't be a puss, your making us texans look bad. I had to work out in that crap that day so I dont want to hear it.

I know I know, you have already bought your time so I won't harp anymore.

Basil your cigars were

Cigar #1
    Flor de Oliva Original Torpedo

Cigar #2
    Ashton Cabinet VSG Belicoso
    Last edited by rpcky16; 12-22-2005 at 05:07 PM.
    N.O.L.A.

ah. i've tried the VSGs before and am just not a fan. Never had the FdO before - I'll definitely buy more. Thanks.
    - Tom Robbins

After receiving this box in the mail at work a little before noon, I could not help but to antisipate what suprises I would find inside. By the time I got it home I could wait no longer. I opened the box and, to my delight, I found two cigars that I immediately knew that I have never had before. These are both so far from anything I have ever had that I have no way of guessing what they are. The wrappers on both were as dark and rich as one could imagine. I examined them both as closely as my un-trained eye would allow and stuck them in my humidor. That is when I posted the confirmation that I had received them and intended to begin my expedition later that night. After dinner I decided that the time was right. Now I had to choose.

Well, I smoked cigar #1 if for no other reason than it was the smaller of the two (in ring gauge only as they were the same length - 5 inches) and was about the size of what I smoke regularly. Pre-light draw was smooth (almost loose) but not very tasteful. It wasn't bad just nearly no taste at all. It was easy to light and started off tasting pretty decent. The taste did change slightly throughout the smoke but never got any better or worse than pretty decent. There was not really a large amount of smoke, but it was not disappointing either. The burn was really my least favorite attribute of this cigar. Almost from begining to end it burned unevenly. On my 1-5 rating [1=Really Bad; 2=O.K.; 3=Decent; 4=Good; 5=Excellent] I give this one a 3.

I had hoped to smoke the second suprise last night but found myself on the road far later than I had hoped. So, I had it after breakfast this morning. Pre-light draw on this was was close to medium, the way I prefer it. It was also more tasteful. Now, I don't pretend to be able yet to really pick out and describe the different flavors in a cigar (especially these that are so new to me) but I could definately taste more "aroma" with this cigar. I was equally easy to light and started out tasting better than the first had ever gotten. The first thing I noticed with this smoke was the volume of smoke. There was more thick billowing clouds of smoke with this one than any cigar I have had yet, lots more. It caught me off guard and was a nice suprise. The taste was much stronger (more full-bodied) than I am use to but I didn't find it at all 'harsh'. The second thing that I noticed as unusual was the ash. The ash all the way down this stick had a reddish or brownish tint to it. This is the first time I have ever seen this. Now, it may be that this is common to the dark wrapper and I just am not familiar with it. I did not notice this with the first cigar but I did smoke it outside in a not-so-well-lit area in front of my house, so who knows?... This smoke just seemed to go on and on. The draw became a little looser than I am use to shortly into it. I can only assume that this is due to the larger diameter. This one did burn much more evenly than the first, which I was glad to see. As for rating it, this was a very hard thing for me to do. I suspect that my tastes are not yet developed enough to appreciate this smoke but to me it was still a least a Good (4) smoke.

Many thanks to Basil for both of these interesting smokes. I am very anxious to find out what they were.

(P.S. Please over look any typing/spelling errors you run across in this post as I am on a borrowed computer with no spell check and at 0100 I am sure I have missed something.)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Westbrook
    After receiving this box in the mail at work a little before noon, I could not help but to antisipate what suprises I would find inside. By the time I got it home I could wait no longer. I opened the box and, to my delight, I found two cigars that I immediately knew that I have never had before. These are both so far from anything I have ever had that I have no way of guessing what they are. The wrappers on both were as dark and rich as one could imagine. I examined them both as closely as my un-trained eye would allow and stuck them in my humidor. That is when I posted the confirmation that I had received them and intended to begin my expedition later that night. After dinner I decided that the time was right. Now I had to choose.

Well, I smoked cigar #1 if for no other reason than it was the smaller of the two (in ring gauge only as they were the same length - 5 inches) and was about the size of what I smoke regularly. Pre-light draw was smooth (almost loose) but not very tasteful. It wasn't bad just nearly no taste at all. It was easy to light and started off tasting pretty decent. The taste did change slightly throughout the smoke but never got any better or worse than pretty decent. There was not really a large amount of smoke, but it was not disappointing either. The burn was really my least favorite attribute of this cigar. Almost from begining to end it burned unevenly. On my 1-5 rating [1=Really Bad; 2=O.K.; 3=Decent; 4=Good; 5=Excellent] I give this one a 3.

I had hoped to smoke the second suprise last night but found myself on the road far later than I had hoped. So, I had it after breakfast this morning. Pre-light draw on this was was close to medium, the way I prefer it. It was also more tasteful. Now, I don't pretend to be able yet to really pick out and describe the different flavors in a cigar (especially these that are so new to me) but I could definately taste more "aroma" with this cigar. I was equally easy to light and started out tasting better than the first had ever gotten. The first thing I noticed with this smoke was the volume of smoke. There was more thick billowing clouds of smoke with this one than any cigar I have had yet, lots more. It caught me off guard and was a nice suprise. The taste was much stronger (more full-bodied) than I am use to but I didn't find it at all 'harsh'. The second thing that I noticed as unusual was the ash. The ash all the way down this stick had a reddish or brownish tint to it. This is the first time I have ever seen this. Now, it may be that this is common to the dark wrapper and I just am not familiar with it. I did not notice this with the first cigar but I did smoke it outside in a not-so-well-lit area in front of my house, so who knows?... This smoke just seemed to go on and on. The draw became a little looser than I am use to shortly into it. I can only assume that this is due to the larger diameter. This one did burn much more evenly than the first, which I was glad to see. As for rating it, this was a very hard thing for me to do. I suspect that my tastes are not yet developed enough to appreciate this smoke but to me it was still a least a Good (4) smoke.

Many thanks to Basil for both of these interesting smokes. I am very anxious to find out what they were.

(P.S. Please over look any typing/spelling errors you run across in this post as I am on a borrowed computer with no spell check and at 0100 I am sure I have missed something.)

Cigar #1 Diamond Crown Maximus robusto #5

Cigar #2 El Rey Del Mundo Robusto Oscuro

The DCMax is of course the more expensive of the two - maybe 2 1/2 times higher. IMHO, you rated them exactly how I do, knowing what they are. I thought it was an interesting curve. Good job!
    - Tom Robbins

Cigar #1 Diamond Crown Maximus robusto #5

Cigar #2 El Rey Del Mundo Robusto Oscuro

The DCMax is of course the more expensive of the two - maybe 2 1/2 times higher. IMHO, you rated them exactly how I do, knowing what they are. I thought it was an interesting curve. Good job!

Hey, I am actually surprised to find that 1 was the more expensive cigar (especially by that much). I will be looking for more of those El Reys. I really enjoyed that smoke.

Again, it was a really good chance for me to experiment with something new and turned out to be good test of my taste buds (and was fun to boot)... Thanx

Thread Information