Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Review These - Reviews

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

DUDE!! What's up. Still waiting for the second review!!!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Default Too Cold

Man its been to cold here I promise I will do it as soon as I can
    GO AHEAD PUNK MAKE MY DAY

Quote Originally Posted by TheNakedGun View Post
    Say what??

You're in fuckin' Florida Dude!!! Come up here and puff one with Drew or me, or Bill or Tyler in the frozen North East, or .........

><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by TheNakedGun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    Say what??

You're in fuckin' Florida Dude!!! Come up here and puff one with Drew or me, or Bill or Tyler in the frozen North East, or .........

lmao!!
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Default Cold

Well when your used to 80s and 90s and 50s in the winter 30 and lower is a little too cold but I will do my best to finish the review this weekend

Default # 2 Review

Sorry this second one took so long guys

#2 Review These From Newfie

Ok this cigar was was about 51/2" long this one snipped really well the draw was great from the beging the burn was fine it started with a spicey flavor and stayed that way through the entire smoke I would also say this is some ISOM but its hard for me to tell without a band I really liked this cigar and would say it was the more expensive of the 2 this is one I would deffinately have again

# 1 Review These From Newfie

Ok well I started the review these today I started with #1 it was a short cigar about 5" with a small ring gauge it snipped really well it lit kinda hard at first the draw was tight and the burn was a little uneven for me at the start the taste was not real good at first then about the second half it really started to develop and burn evenly but really it was over to quick for me as far as what kind of cigar it was I would have to guess some kind of Cohiba I am not a real big fan of short small cigars as far as rating this I would have to say on a scale of 1-10 I would have to give it a 4 I will post #2 as soon as get a chance to review it

Thanks for the reviews Pal, but you were a little off on the more expensive one.

Cigar #1:

Romeo y Julieta Coronitas en Cedros (ISOM)

Cigar #1:

Romeo y Julieta Cedros Delux #2 (Dominican)

Cigar # 1 From TheNakedGun

Dark brown wrapper about 48RG 5". Nothing special about constuction average looking slightly vieny. Prelight draw offered almost no restriction at all. My initial though was this is going to burn fast and hot. Wrapper tasted sweet almost as if flavored. Lit up fine. 1st few draws all I could taste was something very sweet off the wrapper and nothing defining from the draw. surprising ash was tight and firm. 1/2 way thru I started getting hint of some definition nothing special and still over whelmed by wrapper sweetness. Last 1 1/2 or so it was an okay tasting stick probably from the nicotine build up.

Cigar # 2 From TheNakedGun

Light brown wrapper nicely constructed firm but not to tight. Clipped cleanly, didnt give away anything on prelight draw. Lit nicely and right of the bat I knew (at least I think I knew) this was the better stick. Creamy taste hints of nut and leather as best as I can determine. A much more complex stick. Burned perfectly. Taste became more defined but still cool creamy draw. Smoked nicely right down to the hub.

Conclusions:

Cigar # 1 ---- Cheapy
    Cigar # 2 ---- The more expensive stick
    A girl phoned me the other day and said ... Come on over, there's nobody home. I went over. Nobody was home.
    -- Rodney Dangerfield

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    Say what??

that is funny

Blog Entries

Default On the way

to you sprangalang......usps first class DC# 9101010521297784633083. Enjoy them, and I look forward to your review.

Quint You are absolutely right
    #1 Flor De Olivia Natural
    #2 Montecristo RothChilde

Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    Cigar # 1 From TheNakedGun

Dark brown wrapper about 48RG 5". Nothing special about constuction average looking slightly vieny. Prelight draw offered almost no restriction at all. My initial though was this is going to burn fast and hot. Wrapper tasted sweet almost as if flavored. Lit up fine. 1st few draws all I could taste was something very sweet off the wrapper and nothing defining from the draw. surprising ash was tight and firm. 1/2 way thru I started getting hint of some definition nothing special and still over whelmed by wrapper sweetness. Last 1 1/2 or so it was an okay tasting stick probably from the nicotine build up.

Cigar # 2 From TheNakedGun

Light brown wrapper nicely constructed firm but not to tight. Clipped cleanly, didnt give away anything on prelight draw. Lit nicely and right of the bat I knew (at least I think I knew) this was the better stick. Creamy taste hints of nut and leather as best as I can determine. A much more complex stick. Burned perfectly. Taste became more defined but still cool creamy draw. Smoked nicely right down to the hub.

Conclusions:

Cigar # 1 ---- Cheapy
    Cigar # 2 ---- The more expensive stick

Blog Entries

Review stick #1 from Quint
    Torpedo shaped, approx. 6 X 50. Light brown wrapper, small veins. The cigar was very firm and I couldn't feel any soft spots. The cut was easy, and the pre-light draw was fine. The light was easy and the burn started off well, however, within the first 1/4" the wrapper split from the foot directly towards the cap end about 1" in length. The flavor was good, and was medium in strength to me. The splitting problem with the wrapper continued throughout the smoke, and really made it un-smokable with about 1/2 of the stick left. The ash was pretty flaky. This cigar got softer and softer as I smoked it, and appeared to be swelling and bulging somewhat. Seems like I was so engrossed with the wrapper problems and correcting the burn issues it created that I didn't really notice anything special with the flavor of the stick.

Review stick #2 from Quint
    Same shape and size as #1, but the wrapper was a darker shade of brown. Some veins, with a couple that ran almost the entire length of the smoke. The cigar was not as firm pre-light as #1 but the construction looks good. Cut was easy with a good draw that was a little looser than I usually like, but not too loose. Light was easy, and the burn was fantastic throughout the smoke. This may be the most even-burning stick that I have had to date. The flavor was fuller than #1, more robust and I think stronger than #1. The ash was salt and pepper and very firm; I finally ashed it about 1 1/2" in, but it would have held longer. I enjoyed this smoke.

My guess:
    #1 Lower $
    #2 Higher $

The burn and wrapper problems with #1 are what led me to my guess. I suppose that I could have just gotten an unlucky example of a good stick, since based on the initial appearance, firmness of construction, etc.....I was guessing that #1 was more expensive.....then I smoked them.

I'm ready for my public humiliation...........

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Review stick #1 from Quint
    Torpedo shaped, approx. 6 X 50. Light brown wrapper, small veins. The cigar was very firm and I couldn't feel any soft spots. The cut was easy, and the pre-light draw was fine. The light was easy and the burn started off well, however, within the first 1/4" the wrapper split from the foot directly towards the cap end about 1" in length. The flavor was good, and was medium in strength to me. The splitting problem with the wrapper continued throughout the smoke, and really made it un-smokable with about 1/2 of the stick left. The ash was pretty flaky. This cigar got softer and softer as I smoked it, and appeared to be swelling and bulging somewhat. Seems like I was so engrossed with the wrapper problems and correcting the burn issues it created that I didn't really notice anything special with the flavor of the stick.

Review stick #2 from Quint
    Same shape and size as #1, but the wrapper was a darker shade of brown. Some veins, with a couple that ran almost the entire length of the smoke. The cigar was not as firm pre-light as #1 but the construction looks good. Cut was easy with a good draw that was a little looser than I usually like, but not too loose. Light was easy, and the burn was fantastic throughout the smoke. This may be the most even-burning stick that I have had to date. The flavor was fuller than #1, more robust and I think stronger than #1. The ash was salt and pepper and very firm; I finally ashed it about 1 1/2" in, but it would have held longer. I enjoyed this smoke.

My guess:
    #1 Lower $
    #2 Higher $

The burn and wrapper problems with #1 are what led me to my guess. I suppose that I could have just gotten an unlucky example of a good stick, since based on the initial appearance, firmness of construction, etc.....I was guessing that #1 was more expensive.....then I smoked them.

I'm ready for my public humiliation...........

Sorry to hear about your problems with #1 I wonder if it was change in climate that effected the stick.

#1 was a Monty # 2

#2 was a Cusano Cuban (supposed to be a Cohiba knock-off)

I suspect your correct in that the wrapper problems influenced your guess. You might want to let the others sit on your humi for a while and let them stablize before smoking. Sorry about the Monty.
    A girl phoned me the other day and said ... Come on over, there's nobody home. I went over. Nobody was home.
    -- Rodney Dangerfield

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    Sorry to hear about your problems with #1 I wonder if it was change in climate that effected the stick.

#1 was a Monty # 2

#2 was a Cusano Cuban (supposed to be a Cohiba knock-off)

I suspect your correct in that the wrapper problems influenced your guess. You might want to let the others sit on your humi for a while and let them stablize before smoking. Sorry about the Monty.
    No need to apologize, you are probably right that the climate change had something to do with it. I suspected that #1 was the more expensive since it initially appeared to have superior construction and was much firmer than #2.

I am disappointed in myself for not recognizing the CC. I have smoked a couple of these and enjoy them, I even have a couple of robusto's in the humi right now. I've never had a Cohiba, so I can't offer any comparison between the two, but the CC, imho, is a good solid value priced smoke.

Thanks Sprangalang for the excellent review cigars and the extra riders!

Sampling these two cigars is what makes this thread so much fun. I have had neither one of these, and the contrast between the two was amazing. Both were Torps, one with a claro wrapper and the other maduro.

#1 Slightly box pressed torp with a toothy claro wrapper. Burned fine with a fluffy greyish ash that was crumbly. Tons of smoke!

Spicy from the get go, the cigar was a bundle of spice, with a little bitter woodiness. Kinda light and airy body, short on finish. I'm gonna guess a Sumatra wrapper for the spice, but I didn't taste the saltyness I usually get from sumatra. Had to be a little Honduran in the cigar for the bitterness. (Bitter as in a taste, not a bad tarry flavor).

Pretty consistant from start to finish, this one is a real change of pace for me. I'd smoke one of these once in awhile, not by the box.

#2 Huge black torp with a shiny slightly oily sheen to the wrapper. Burned fine with a beautiful off-white ash, tight as a drum. The ash fell off like breaking a roll of quarters. Draw was a little firmer than I like, but very smokeable.

I'll go out on a limb and call this a Nicaraguan puro. Very slight sweetish taste in the maduro, and a rich tobacco flavor. Medium-full body, short finish.

The cigar grew in intensity as it burned which I liked, and then got a little tarry towards the end. I think I might have heated the cigar a little due to the firm draw. Overall, this cigar was better than a Padron #000, but nowhere near a PAM.

Both cigars were a taste treat. Like I said, I would buy a fiver of #1 and throw it in my humi for a spice break. To be fair to #2, I would like to try a smaller vitola, crank the Rh down a shade, and try it again.
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

Excellent reviews, man!
    From your review of #2, it seems you thought #2 was the higher priced cigar? In which case you would be correct!
    I was trying to get a closer looking and smoking pair. So I guess they were drastically different. Oh well. Sorry about the Rh on the the #2. My B&M tends to run a little wet. I should have mentioned you may want to dry box for a day or two.
    Anyway, great, job!

#1: Nic 3000 Torp
    #2: CAO MX2

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    Thanks Sprangalang for the excellent review cigars and the extra riders!

Sampling these two cigars is what makes this thread so much fun. I have had neither one of these, and the contrast between the two was amazing. Both were Torps, one with a claro wrapper and the other maduro.

#1 Slightly box pressed torp with a toothy claro wrapper. Burned fine with a fluffy greyish ash that was crumbly. Tons of smoke!

Spicy from the get go, the cigar was a bundle of spice, with a little bitter woodiness. Kinda light and airy body, short on finish. I'm gonna guess a Sumatra wrapper for the spice, but I didn't taste the saltyness I usually get from sumatra. Had to be a little Honduran in the cigar for the bitterness. (Bitter as in a taste, not a bad tarry flavor).

Pretty consistant from start to finish, this one is a real change of pace for me. I'd smoke one of these once in awhile, not by the box.

#2 Huge black torp with a shiny slightly oily sheen to the wrapper. Burned fine with a beautiful off-white ash, tight as a drum. The ash fell off like breaking a roll of quarters. Draw was a little firmer than I like, but very smokeable.

I'll go out on a limb and call this a Nicaraguan puro. Very slight sweetish taste in the maduro, and a rich tobacco flavor. Medium-full body, short finish.

The cigar grew in intensity as it burned which I liked, and then got a little tarry towards the end. I think I might have heated the cigar a little due to the firm draw. Overall, this cigar was better than a Padron #000, but nowhere near a PAM.

Both cigars were a taste treat. Like I said, I would buy a fiver of #1 and throw it in my humi for a spice break. To be fair to #2, I would like to try a smaller vitola, crank the Rh down a shade, and try it again.

Ashauler, those were some fine smokes. I enjoyed both very much. As for determining which was the more expensive, I will have to take a shot in the dark.

These both sat in my humi for a while, about a week, at a nice 62 to 65%.
    Natural wrapper robusto, 5x50. Very firm and well consructed. Some veins, not shiny.
    The cut, separated the ring a little, but it re-adhered with a little moisture no problem. Pre light draw - a bit on the tight side, but still good. Alert - spice detected pre light.
    I lit it with the toast and blow method, completely glowing foot before the first draw. Spicy! Toasty spice from the git-go. Wow, a bit of burn on the nose. Oil around the ember. A great ligero kick, the aroma was just fantastic. Spicy white pepper, toasty flavors, maybe caramel. Occasionally a slighly sweet flavor, but very subtle. Clean finish in the first half. Wrapper split slightly, but not a catastrophe. Burn was a little uneven, but never got out of control. Not favoring one side, just had kind of a jagged edge. Ash was a darker shade of grey, with a white center. Last half, strong ligero scent, peppery notes abound, with coffee flavors.
    Some people would consider this cigar as harsh, but I really enjoyed it. The spicy taste and aroma was just kick ass. It had some nose burn and when I inadvertantly inhaled a wisp, it about knocked me out. I nubbed the hell out of it.

5 1/4 x 50 robusto. Darker wrapper, but not a maduro, I don't think. Some light spots,veins, but well constructed. Nice and firm. Smells good, hint of chocolate. Toothy wrapper, some goose-bumps.
    The cut, ring separated a bit, but stuck back on with moisture. Pre light draw, nice and easy.
    Lit with the same method as on #1. First puff, I was rewarded with a ton of smooth white smoke. Lots of flavor, rich earthy toasty flavors. Mottled grey ash. The burn was uneven throughout the smoke, the cone was off-center, but it never got silly with a canoe or anything, and no tunneling. Huge smoke volume, this baby filled my garage with smoke. Every draw resulted in lots of smoke. The smoke was very creamy, big fat smoke rings, and what a great flavor. Rich, nutty, smooth. Easy on the nose, no choke on the slight inhale. Leathery notes at the end, delicious, I did not want it to end. Nubbed the hell out of it.
    This was a very well balanced smoke. Great full taste.

I would buy both of these, I enjoyed them both immensely.

As for guessing the price that is difficult. Both cigars had great attributes. I guess #2 is the higher priced one.

Thanks again Jamie, I enjoyed them both.

Jeff
    Last edited by sprangalang; 12-31-2006 at 06:27 PM. Reason: cigar size

Blog Entries

First off, let me apologize to all for missing these great reviews for this long !! I don't know how I did that, but sorry.

I'm glad you enjoyed the smokes Jeff , I like both of them as well. the smokes were:

Smoke #1 La Aurora Preferidos Robusto $9.95 at the b/m
    Smoke #2 Excalibur 1066 merlin $3.50 at the b/m

jamie
    Last edited by ashauler; 01-03-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: To clarify that sprangalang was the reviewer

Oh man, I knew it. I had a feeling it was #1. That kind of oomph comes at a price.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    First off, let me apologize to all for missing these great reviews for
    this long !! I don't know how I did that, but sorry.

I'm glad you enjoyed the smokes Jeff , I like both of them as well. the smokes were:

Smoke #1 La Aurora Preferidos Robusto $9.95 at the b/m
    Smoke #2 Excalibur 1066 merlin $3.50 at the b/m

jamie

Sorry for the delay but the New Years was pretty busy here.

I will do these reviews in real time.

Stick # 1:

Looks like a solidly constructed stick with a triple cap. (Cuban ? ) Smelling the foot produced a nice aroma. Wrapper is connecticutr shade color. Looks like it is packed heailly so could be a bit tight on the draw.

Cut was effortless. Pre light draw was very easy I guess no tightness in the draw on this one. Even the prelight draw hit me with spice.

Light it up.

Right away I got hit with peppery spice. After a few puffs I am starting to have doubts that this is a Cuban. Another thing that makes me lean in that directin is the ring size a little too big for a regular Cuban. Also I tend to notice more notes reminiscent of Conn shade wrappers. So far it seems a little one dimensional just peppery taste, although I do have to say no harshness on this one. The ash is grayish white and flaky.

One 1/3 through now. This cigar is a little too light for me. I doubt it has any NIC tobacco in it as well. Perhaps a DOM puro.

2/3 the pepper is gone now its more leathery and plain tobacco that is actually a bit sweet now.

into the last 1/3 now. Taste is earthy and sweet with some pepper creeping back.

Overall impression it's a nice cigar for those who like milder - medium body. It turned out to have enough comlexity to keep one interested. Still doubt its a Cuban but probably not a bad Dom perhaps an Ashton

Review # 2 to follow tom

Thread Information