Thread: Review These - Reviews

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring
    Nice reviews...a little off in the guesses though.

cigar number 2 you had a good idea of. It was a Torano 1959. I am assuming you though it was better only because it was free MSRP is was about 10 dollars.

cigar number 2 was a Padron '64. Definately one of my top 3 favorite smokes. Obviously the more expensive smoke at about 10 bucks a pop.

This is a great thread. It was a lot of fun picking the cigars to send for the review.
    but but... which one was the real #2?

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101
    but but... which one was the real #2?

shit, you got me damn typos are owning me today.

Cigar #1 was the Padron '64

Cigar #2 was the Torano 1959.

Hope you enjoyed them
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

So one of the fun things about this is that you *know* one of the sticks is going to be great, and the other one will either be greater or not. Being the sheltered body that I am, just in case I would be wrong on the more valuable stick (which I was), I smoked both of them to a nub. Both were nice sticks (cheers Drew).

Blog Entries

I received two lovely cigars to review from mauied1101. Here is my review:

Cigar # 1

5.5 x 38-42

This cigar was very well constructed and firm. It had a nice pre-smoke aroma and looked like it had been stored with the sleeve off. Some of the wrapper at the foot had worn away making me believe that it had been stored in a humidor for a while.

The cigar lit easily and burned evenly throughout its length. It held a nice long ash, which was grayish white. Overall, the smoke was medium, leaning toward the mild side. The draw was perfect and it produced plenty of thick white smoke. The flavor was earthy, maybe leathery, and seemed to change subtely about half-way through where a slight cedar taste emerged.

For my taste, it was an OK smoke. I could certainly smoke one again, but I wouldn't put it ahead of my regular smokes. This is due to it being a little milder than I prefer. I am sure I have not had this brand and size of cigar before. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say RP Vintage "Euro" Corona, but I have absolutely no idea.

Cigar # 2

5.5 x 48ish

This cigar was very smooth and felt solid in my hand. It didn't smell like much before lighting. It had a Claro color and possibly a slight greenish tint to it. It was a torpedo shape.

I toasted the foot and then lit it. It lit quickly and perfectly. While I had expected a light flavor profile; I got a medium to medium-full bonanza! It burned very evenly and held a nice long, white ash. Superb draw and plenty of rich,white smoke. The flavor was wood with slight undertones of a slight nutmeg taste and possibly licorice. I can't quite put my finger on the taste overall, but I liked it very much.

This cigar tasted familiar to me in some ways and in other ways, like nothing I have had before. At first, I thought it was a La Gloria Cubana. Later though, the flavor changed to something unfamiliar. Overall, I liked this cigar better than #1. (I've probably picked the $2.00 Cigar, wouldn't you know it!) I could smoke more of this one. It went very well with my Jim Beam and Diet Coke. This would be a great lake cigar. Again, I have absolutely no idea, but I'll guess that this is an Edge by Rocky Patel.
    puro pot pass VI loser

Nice reviews illillillillilli! Good detail. Yeah, I prefer milder cigars - though my taste is growing thanks to the guys here!

OK let's see...

Cigar #1 - Romeo y Julieta ISOM Cedro Deluxe #2- $$ My favorite cigar and most prized. Mild but consistent. Aged over a year.

Cigar #2 - Flor De Ybor City Belicoso - $2.75ish. Introduced by a member of the board, liked them enough to get a five pack online. Good cheap smoke.

Glad you enjoyed them.

WARNING: rookie review

Cigar #1 review sent by illilli

vitola: Torpedo about 6"

Pre-light - The wrapper was dark and well constructed, pleasant aroma and average draw. I used a guillotine cut.

Paired with Killian's Irish Red

Lit - The cigar lit easily and the draw remained consistant. I haven't really learned to recognize all of the subtle flavors in a cigar yet. I would say this was a medium smoke that was very pleasing to my devolping taste buds. I enjoyed the flavor very much. The burn was very inconsistant and took away from the enjoyment of the cigar(and the book I was reading). I smoked this one to just under two inches before I threw in the towel on keeping it lit.

Overall good smoke, would be great without the burn issue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

Cigar #2 review

vitola: 6 x 44-48

Pre-light - Dark maduro wrapper that had a great aroma. The wrapper was well constructed with some slight damage to the foot from storage. I again used a guillotine cut. The draw was more loose than I prefer(possibly because it was a poor cut by me) but not too bad.

Paired with Killian's Irish Red

Lit - The cigar lit easily and continued to have a loose draw. It started off spicy with a good kick to my tonsils. I quickly calmed this down with some help from George Killian. The burn was carefree and even the whole way and it remained spicy throughout the smoke. It did seem to calm down a little in the middle ony to pick up again on the last 1/3 of the cigar. The flavor profile also changed(got better) on the second half of the cigar. I would have nubbed this one, but she quit on me with about an inch and a half to go. I let her die a peaceful death.

Overall this was a slightly stronger cigar than I smoke on a regular basis but I would be interested in smoking this one again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conclusion (WARNING - See above disclaimer)-

I enjoyed both cigars. #1 was a more familiar flavor to me, but #2 really piqued my interest and was a more enjoyable experience. I'll go out on a limb here and say that #2 was more expensive. (hey I got a 50/50 chance)

Blog Entries

Those reviews were pretty good WOXOF.

Cigar #1 was a Gurkha Legend Aniversario - MSRP: $20 (yeah, right!)

This cigar has a very nice flavor. It IS medium strength. I have also had terrible problems with keeping it lit. It almost always flakes out about mid-way. Noone really pays $20 for these, but they generally get them for $8-$10. I suppose this is because the cigar is NOT worth $20, no way, no how.

Cigar #2 was an Oliva 'O' Bold Omni MSRP: $5.50

This is one of my favorite daily rotation cigars, albeit a little expensive for every day. It is a med-full spicey delight (IMHO). The draw is loose, but so am I; that's why I like it .

Thanks for the reviews.
    puro pot pass VI loser

Thread Information