Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Review These - Reviews

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spiffykyle View Post
    I am going to say that #1 was the more expensive stick.

Thanks bigwhiteash! How'd I do??

spiffy

Well... you did just right! Very nice reviews

Cigar one was a Gurkha G3 Toro, about $7.50
    Cigar two was a Diably Pimiento, about 2 bucks.

Sorry for the plugged Diablo, I have had a few of them like that, but generally they're a nice medium cigar.

~Dennis~
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Ok...So I sent the review sticks out to Sammis...Looking forward to seeing what he thinks of them.

Hi All

I passed the Fedex guy on the way out from my house when I was leaving for work.

Looks like I'll be working on these this weekend

sammis

Hi All

So Maduro Man, being true to his name, sent me two maduro wrapped cigars

I'm still working on getting familiar with sizes and shapes so this is a guestimate.

Cigar #1 is a BIG cigar, I'd say a Presidente based on the ring size.

Cigar #2 is a smaller cigar, Toro size.

Both are box pressed.

Well I just finished cigar #2.

This cigar reminds me of a Padron or Trinidad based on the flavor profile. Nice dark wrapper with a fine tooth texture, no defects. Very smooth draw. Very nice tobacco taste with just a bit of spice, very smooth finish. It generated a very good quantity of white flavorfull smoke. The ash dropped every 1 1/4 inch.

It gave me a nice hour and 15 minute smoke.

I really liked this one. I look forward to finding out what it is

I'll be smoking the #1 cigar tomorrow afternoon.

Good night all!

sammis

Hi All

So I got to cigar #1 this afternoon.

It had a nice chocolat smell and a really dark, oily wrapper that was a little rough with one blemish where the band was probably located.

The draw was tight to start with and got worse as I went along and finally plugged the cigar after 2 inches.

While I was able to smoke it, it had a good flavor, with a bit of chocolate which carried over from the pre light smell. There wasn't much smoke though.

Overall, it started off to be a nice smoke but plugged before it could develop more.

Based on the taste and the construction, I'm going to have to go with cigar #2 being the more expensive cigar.

So Maduro Man, how did I do?

sammis

PS: Thanks for this opportunity!

Sammis…GREAT reviews on both sticks. Glad you enjoyed both of them. As for your guess you were incorrect. But that does not mean you are WORNG. I find that even though a stick cost more, that doesn’t mean it will be better then a cheap one. The pricier stick was #1!

#1 Trinidad Maduro Churchill 58X7.

#2 Santa Clara 1830 Magnifico (One of MY ALL TIME FAV smokes)

Both are Box pressed and I enjoy both of them very much. Just as you found out…The Trinidad is tightly packed. You really got to work at it to keep it going. The Santa Clara is an ALL Mexican stick…All the tobacco comes from the San Andres Valley in Mexico. As a lot of the guys here will tell you, I feel Mexican sticks get a bad rap… As you have tasted they are a very good smoke. I too LOVE a lot of thick white smoke from my sticks. The Santa Clara does not disappoint. I always have room in the humi for them. Glad you enjoyed em!

Hmmm

Well as it's been said, I now have another cigar to look into and it's the cheaper one

Do you have some suggestions on where to find the Santa Clara? I really did like that one!

I tried to open up the Trinidad with a makeshift skewer but I couldn't get it all the way through. I'll have to look into the Henry Cigar Tools to be ready for the next time I get a plug. This was my first one.

It's weird about the taste though since I thought the #2 tasted kinda like a Trinidad

sammis

Quote Originally Posted by sammis View Post
    Hmmm

Well as it's been said, I now have another cigar to look into and it's the cheaper one

Do you have some suggestions on where to find the Santa Clara? I really did like that one!

I tried to open up the Trinidad with a makeshift skewer but I couldn't get it all the way through. I'll have to look into the Henry Cigar Tools to be ready for the next time I get a plug. This was my first one.

It's weird about the taste though since I thought the #2 tasted kinda like a Trinidad

sammis
    JR Cigar on line sells the whole line of Santa Clara cigars. I can also pick a box of em up for you next time I go down to Mexico. I'll let ya know...

So after recieving two large (both 7-8 inches 45-52 ring gauge about) review these cigars, and three other of my favorite cigars from sammis, I got to reviewing.

Smoked #2 mid week last week, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was the larger of the two, about 8 by 52 maybe. Smooth maduro wrapper, no flaws what-so-ever. Perfect cut, perfect light, and only relight once or twice two due to several conversations where I forgot to smoke. Was fairly sweet throughout, to my enjoyment - reminded me of a rosado, but didnt look like one. Finished about 2 hours later with and inch and a half left. Quite nice.

#1 was smoked a couple days after. This one was about 7inches by 48ish. Perfect on a nice spring evening before my 710-940 class. The wrapper was maduro again, and had one minor flaw, but nothing consequential. Had a nice earthy flavor, characteristic of any maduro. I thought I was going to have to put it out early because I didnt leave enough time to smoke it all before my class, but while walking there I saw my professor walking away from the class. I stopped him to ask if class was canceled, to which he replied yes. He apparently is also a cigar smoker, and recommended an Opus X to me (go figure). So, I continued walking around campus, and smoked it all the way through. Another good cigar.

I'm quite torn to pick which one is more expensive because I enjoyed both, but I'm going to go with my gut and say #2 was the more expensive stick. Thanks again, sammis! I'm anxious to figure out which one is which.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Lukeman8

I'm glad you enjoyed them. They are both in my top 5 list

Cigar #1 Sancho Panza Double Maduro Escudero

Cigar #2 was a Padrón 1964 Anniversary Monarca

So you are correct with your selection. Congratulations!

sammis

Blog Entries

Reviews of Cigars submitted by ashauler

Since Saturday was an absolutely Beautiful day, I decided to smoke these two fine cigars pretty much back to back. Nice big glass of Southern Sweat Tea, folding chair, and hanging with my new smoking buddies!

Cigar #1

This is a 5 X 44 corona wrapped in a nice rosado wrapper, fairly firm, with a slight give to finger presure. A few toothy veins are present, along with a nicely executed triple cap. One minor issue, there is a crack in the wrapper just above where the band would normally be, but this never became an issue. Cut with the new Xikar, and lit with a Colibri torch, no problem!

This one started off with a pleasant grassy note, seemingly on the medium side of mild. perfect draw, and a great burn, leaving a flaky gray ash that fell off every 3/4" or so. after about 1-1/2 inch this cigar started a trend of building in flavor and strength that I found outstanding! I think this cigar had a bit of age on it. Very reminiscent of Montecristo and Bolivar isoms.

Picture says it all, (forgive the focus, my camera wanted to focus on the scenery, instead of the cigar.)

Cigar #2

This one is another corona, slightly larger at 5-1/2 X 45, looks loke a criollo wrapper. Very firm with no give, smooth with virtually no veins showing, and a nice double cap. Same cut and lighter, leaving again a perfect draw. Burn was again as straight as can be, flavors were a nice tobacco with faint orange peel, green tea essence. Medium bodied, with a nice white ash. Another nice cigar until there was about 1-1/2 inches left, then it started showing it's youth, getting a bit of an ammonia bitterness going on. This one reminded me of the RyJ 1875 line.

These were both enjoyed on a fantastic day, but I'm going to have to say #1 is the more expensive cigar, right down to the NUB!

Thanks Jamie, for the great cigars!

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Nice reviews Dennis!!

#1 RyJ en cedros #3 isom
    #2 RyJ cetros deluxe #2

You nailed it my friend!!

Blog Entries

Default Review sticks from Jfellows

I'll review these in the order that I smoked them. Both cigars accompanied with cold, clear, H2O.

This is a robusto sized cigar, approx 5 x 50. Very dark, toothy wrapper with little veining. Very solid construction and firm feel with good heft in the hand. Nicely applied double cap that took the cut with no issues. Pre-light draw was sweet tobacco and just to my liking...not too easy, not too firm.

This was a sweet, thick, maduro'ish smoke from start to finish. Consistent flavors of leather and earth with some chocolatey tones thrown. The cigar built in intensity through the first third then remained pretty consistent on the fuller side of medium to the end. I nubbed this one and enjoyed it very much.

This is a toro sized stick, approx 6.5 x 50 with a lighter brown, bumpy and more veiny wrapper. It is somewhat softer than #2, with some lumps evident along its length. It appeared to have at least a double cap, perhaps a triple......I just couldn't tell and I didn't have my glasses with me to really inspect it closely. The pre-light draw as a bit looser than #2, but still fine. I couldn't really detect any flavors on the pre-light draw, simple tobacco....though not as sweet and deep as #2.

I enjoyed this smoke, however, while the flavor was consistent and the burn and ash characteristics were very good, I found the flavor less robust and "deep" than #2. Leather was the predominant flavor that I could detect and it never went much beyond that for me.

I'm going to guess that #2 was the more expensive stick.

Thanks to Jfellows for these two fine cigars, I appreciate the opportunity.

Hmmm, I'm glad that you enjoyed cigar #2, but it's only about 1/3 the MSRP of cigar #1!

Cigar #1 = MATASA 30th Anniversary Toro

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...em=CS-30&cat=3

Cigar #2 = El Rey del Mundo Robusto Oscuro

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...%20del%20mundo

Blog Entries

Wow, I really suck. My buds must have had a really, really, bad day......I usually enjoy the Matasa.....have some in the humi. I must revisit one soon.

Thanks for the smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by JFellows View Post
    Hmmm, I'm glad that you enjoyed cigar #2, but it's only about 1/3 the MSRP of cigar #1!

Cigar #1 = MATASA 30th Anniversary Toro

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...em=CS-30&cat=3

Cigar #2 = El Rey del Mundo Robusto Oscuro

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...%20del%20mundo

Default Reviews of Cigars submitted by bigwhiteash

Had an opportunity to head out on Saturday night so I took my review sticks with me.

Both were torpedoes, the first looked Natural in color, the second was darker, I'm thinking it was Maduro in color.

The first stick (I smoked them in order) had great aroma and draw prelight. Once I lit it up there were hints of nut, I'd guess it was medium-full strength. I definitely enjoyed this one.

The second stick I lit after having a drink at the bar. I sat out on the patio and lit this one up. It appeared to have a maduro wrapper so I was expecting it to be a little stronger then the first, turned out that I was wrong. It seemed to be medium in strength. No real discernible flavors on this one, just some nice tobacco. I didn't really enjoy this one as much as the first.

I think that the first was the more expensive cigar. How did I do Dennis?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reviews.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	839  
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Blog Entries

Nice job

Cigar #1: Bolivar Belicoso Fino from somewhere south of Florida

Cigar #2: Cuban Crafters Don Kiki Brown Label Torpedo.

#1 was indeed the more expensive cigar!

I did the same side by side comparison over the weekend, and came to pretty much the same conclusion. I did enjoy the DK Brown, but those BBF's are my all time favorite.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Dennis~

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Smoked both of these on the deck last night. Had a nice thunderstorm while smoking the 2nd stick.

So here are the Reviews:

Review Stick #1

This was a toro sized cigar, it had very good construction, a bit veiny, and maybe a connecticut wrapper. The cut was really easy, had a very nice draw. Not too tight and not too lose.

This cigar had a pure white ash to it throughout the whole cigar. It gave off a medium amount of smoke. There was a sorta sweet taste to this cigar, I dont know how else to explain it.

It had a very good smooth and constant taste to it the entire cigar, down to the nub. It had a great burn the entire time as well.

I would guess this to be more on the mild maybe, maybe even mild-med.

Review Stick #2

This one was a torpedo shaped cigar. It was less veiny than the first. The construction wasnt as good as the first cigar, it looked like it stated to unravel as I cut it. But a quick lick of the finger and run down the side fixed that, and actually stopped it. Also the wrapper extended a bit beyond the filler and binder at the foot.

Again this cigar had a great burn throughout, my worries about it coming unraveled were quickly put to ease. This one had a smooth "woody" taste to it, and put off a medium amount of smoke as well.

The flavor stayed consistent throughout the entire cigar as well and turned out to be a very good cigar. And I would guess this to also be closer to the mild end of the spectrum.

I really enjoyed both these cigars, they each had a smooth wonderful flavor that just tasted great. But Ill have to go with cigar #1 as being the more expensive, based on the construction factor alone, since I cant find anything else to base my decision on btw them.

Thank you Corvin for letting me review these. Both these cigars were great, and I wouldnt mind smoking either again.
    Yay! Cigars!

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    I really enjoyed both these cigars, they each had a smooth wonderful flavor that just tasted great. But Ill have to go with cigar #1 as being the more expensive, based on the construction factor alone, since I cant find anything else to base my decision on btw them.

Thank you Corvin for letting me review these. Both these cigars were great, and I wouldnt mind smoking either again.
    Sorry Miz, the first one was an 898 Collection Robusto, about $3 each, the second was a San Cristobal de la Habana La Punta, according to the Cigar review db over at top25cigar.com they're about $12 a piece, although here in Canada we pay a bit more for them

Anyway, glad you enjoyed them, the 898 is one of my morning go to smokes. Good reviews too
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

That was a tough one, both those cigars tasted and smoked great. The San Cristobal had a rougher look to it, and I thought I would have wrapper issues, thus I went with it as being the cheaper one.

Hmm, think Ill pick up some of those 898s.
    Yay! Cigars!

Thread Information