Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Review These - Reviews

Default Review These - Reviews

Smoked the first stick last night after a wonderful steak dinner with family.

I am not Moki, or some of these other guys, so don't expect a shakesperean review.

This was the cigar marked #2.

It was a nice, firm stick, the wrapper was a little rough. It smoked well and produced a lot of smoke. It tasted, well, like tobacco. Didn't come across very strong, but not overly mild either, At about the halfway mark it got a little bitter. I pushed on and it mellowed out again.

It came across to me as an everyday stick, not as something special. It's didn't do enough for me that I was inspired to sit out in the cold and nub it.

I hope to get to the other stick tonight, but my son has a Halloween party tonight so it might be tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shagaroo
    Smoked the first stick last night after a wonderful steak dinner with family.

I am not Moki, or some of these other guys, so don't expect a shakesperean review.

It was a nice, firm stick, the wrapper was a little rough. It smoked well and produced a lot of smoke. It tasted, well, like tobacco. Didn't come across very strong, but not overly mild either, At about the halfway mark it got a little bitter. I pushed on and it mellowed out again.

It came across to me as an everyday stick, not as something special. It's didn't do enough for me that I was inspired to sit out in the cold and nub it.

I hope to get to the other stick tonight, but my son has a Halloween party tonight so it might be tomorrow.
    C'mon, Shag... I want to hear about the grassy/woodsy/leather/chocolate/prunes with a touch of graham crackers in there... Something like this...

Opus X - Prestone X review

I'll reveal the identity of both cigars when the second review is up.
    Keeping a zipped lip, and a poker face....
    "There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar. " -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    LMFAO
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    C'mon, Shag... I want to hear about the grassy/woodsy/leather/chocolate/prunes with a touch of graham crackers in there... Something like this...

Opus X - Prestone X review

6. Default

what, no lemongrass?
    steel true, blade straight....Headstone of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Default Second Review

Ok. Second review. Cigar marked #1.

Nice stick. Stronger than the first, a bit spicy. Lots of smoke. I liked it. I nubbed this one. Nice looking wrapper. I would smoke one of these again.

Ooops. Forgot this part.. I would guess this is the more expensive stick.
    Last edited by Shagaroo; 10-31-2005 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Me no brain.....

OK, here are the cigars' identities.

To review:

Cigar marked #1.

Nice stick. Stronger than the first, a bit spicy. Lots of smoke. I liked it. I nubbed this one. Nice looking wrapper. I would smoke one of these again.

Ooops. Forgot this part.. I would guess this is the more expensive stick.
    Cigar #1 was actually the less expensive. It was a Camacho Havana Toro (made in Honduras). I paid $3.70 for it (a little higher than my own rules) and got it mainly to match the size/color of cigar #2.

Cigar #2 was a Graycliff Blue Label PGX (Profesionale). Same size as cigar #1 at 6X50.
    Last edited by Mazeman; 10-31-2005 at 06:26 PM.
    "There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar. " -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

How much was the greycliffe?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentChamber
    How much was the greycliffe?
    I forget. Got a fiver in an auction at Famous-Smoke. Definitely over $10.

Those Greycliff's are WAY over priced... Not a bad smoke, but not worth the money they charge for them....

Good setup up, Maze!!!

bigpoppapuff Guest

in case you didn't know...the camacho havana was the first cigar to use a criollo wrapper....
    criollo means "indigenous"...as in, to havana (seed).....in my opinion the camacho havana is a terrific cigar...

Guess these reviews will help to show that higher price doesn't mean higher quality. Not with every case of course. Not with each person either. Interesting to see that he went with the "lower end" cigar.

Its a pitty too, you'll be hard pressed to find anything cheeper than $8 at the local shop here, so I offen go without trying some of the cheeper things.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentChamber
    Its a pitty too, you'll be hard pressed to find anything cheeper than $8 at the local shop here, so I offen go without trying some of the cheeper things.
    Time to start looking for more shops!

The two big shops in my area are really geared toward a snooty and/or touristy crowd, so the prices are pretty high and there are very few sticks in the <$5 range. I went shopping around and eventually found a shop with less expensive smokes and significantly better proces...

That shop is about 40 minutes from here, the next closest is around an hour and half. The one thats farther has a larger selection, but I rarely feel like driving that far.

17. Default Round Two

Mystery Cigars from Shagaroo....

Cigar #1

This cigar had a nice, dark wrapper with one really big vein running the length of the cigar. The wrapper was a little crumbly and was constantly flaking off in several locations on the cigar. The draw on this cigar was quite tight, which is not to my liking, and the flavor was light and not quite to my liking... It reminded me of wet leather or something.

Cigar #2

This cigar was a little lighter, without any major veins. The construction was great, no flaking or crumbling. The draw was much looser, much more to my liking. The smoke had a good flavor to it, with just a hint of spice, and the smoke was copious. It's not the best cigar I've ever smoked, but it was very nice. I'm going to go out on limb and guess it might be a Romeo y Julietta.

How did I do?
    (Now I'm starting to second guess the order in which I smoked them)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    Mystery Cigars from Shagaroo....

Cigar #1

This cigar had a nice, dark wrapper with one really big vein running the length of the cigar. The wrapper was a little crumbly and was constantly flaking off in several locations on the cigar. The draw on this cigar was quite tight, which is not to my liking, and the flavor was light and not quite to my liking... It reminded me of wet leather or something.
    Wet leather. Cigar #1 was Saint Luis Rey Reserva Especial Toro. Cheap stick. The Belicoso is a nicer stick but they are still hit and miss and I keep these for yard gars or folks that think swishers are real cigars.

Cigar #2

This cigar was a little lighter, without any major veins. The construction was great, no flaking or crumbling. The draw was much looser, much more to my liking. The smoke had a good flavor to it, with just a hint of spice, and the smoke was copious. It's not the best cigar I've ever smoked, but it was very nice. I'm going to go out on limb and guess it might be a Romeo y Julietta.
    Opus X Perfecxion X. This has been sitting in my humidor since December of last year. Glad to hear it aged well.

19. Default

Hot damn, I got it right! :)

I'm just lighting up #1 from Superchuck as I type this...it has the nicer wrapper of the two, smooth and well applied with only minor veininess. The wrapper is chipped in one spot and flaking a little there, but nothing to make it unsmokable. My pre-light draw was fairly mild, but not unpleasant. I'll update this when I'm done. Or maybe as I go, we'll see.

1st edit: It's got a firm draw, but not enough to make it difficult. It actually kinda helps slow me down, as I tend to smoke pretty fast. Ash made it to a little over an inch before it fell. First impression of taste is that it's fairly mild but I can't really describe it yet. I've never been able to taste leather in a cigar, though a couple have given me noticable hints of coconut. Is that weird? Anyway, I'll try not to update till I get a ways into the smoke, as this post could get pretty freaking big the way I ramble.

#2: Not even a third in. I'm very impressed with how well I am taking my time. Anyway, It's picking up in strength as I go. Still not major but it might be mild-medium now. I kinda hope it levels out. I like a good strong cigar, but I usually don't smoke this early in the day. I'm actually getting a hint of that coconut thing I was talking about. It seems fairly common for me so I'm thinking there is just something about cigar smoke that strikes my effed up brain as coconutty. It doesn;t reallly taste like coconut, but the taste reminds me of coconut. If that makes any sense at all.
    Last edited by thepyrofish; 11-22-2005 at 01:29 PM.

Thread Information