Thread: Having a Few People over....

1. Default Having a Few People over....

Hey All;

I am having a few people over for a Poker game tomorrow night and I was thinking about getting some mild-medium cigars for the occassion. Nothing too pricey, just something for my non-cigar-smoking buddies to enjoy. Any ideas?
    "I Smoke in Moderation.... Just One Cigar at a Time." Mark Twain

bigpoppapuff Guest

baccarat.....no question...

Cuban Quintero Corona
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Default I'd go with the Baccarats too....

the sweetened cap makes for a pleasant smoke without being overbearing. Plus the band's artwork carries a "gaming" theme!

Casa Torano
    Almost anything by Cusano (18 Year or the Corojo probably the best)

Both of those lines are reasonably priced and decent cigars. The Tornao being the better of the two.

I wouldn't waste a Cuban cigar on a non-cigar smoker. They won't really appreciate the way a seasoned cigar smoker would.

6. Default

Try something like Rolys or 3x3s... VERY cheap, mild-medium smokes... I tend to give out Rolys to non-smokers. They cost about a buck a pop.

bigpoppapuff Guest

the roly's are real good for the price...maybe a bit too full for novice smokers.....that's the reason i suggested baccarat....some of the other cigars are terrific,but not,imho,for a novice smoker (rp's and torano)...

I'd agree with the Baccarat "the game"

Also good are Gran Habano's, get the Connecticut Wrappers.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    the roly's are real good for the price...maybe a bit too full for novice smokers..
    They're a good choice for guests that are used to the taste of tobacco. When I started on cigars, I had a history with cigarettes, so most of the nice, mild cigars that are supposedly good for beginners tasted like stale air. The Rolys had a little fullness to them without being overwhelming.

some of the other cigars are terrific,but not,imho,for a novice smoker (rp's and torano)...
    I agree, toranos would probably knock over some of your buddies. I was going to suggest Sancho Panza, but they're the same way.

If you don't mind spending a couple bucks, Connecticut by RP is a really nice mildish smoke (bigpoppapuff will chime in if it's too full for beginners). :)

guys, i say you are all wrong!!!

When we started herfing at a local guys "shack" (that place rocks) anyways, I noticed he'd buy like 10 Padron Fumas before everyone would meet up over there and pass them out to people that didn't really smoke cigars.

Personally I think Fumas are the perfect choice. they are a GOOD cigar brand that offer good taste!

Oh yeah, and enjoy the poker man...

Since you're buying local and not ordering, it depends mostly on what's available. Non-cigar enthusiasts tend to be impressed by size and a pretty label more than anything else. Smoke shops have plenty of large bundled cheap smokes. Ask the tobacconist for a recommendation and grab whichever one looks the most impressive.

If you can get Baccarat.....

I suggested the CASA Torano. The mild cigar by Carlos Torano.

I do agree the rest of the Torano line would be too strong for a novice.

Thread Information