Thread: Hello Fellow Cigar smokers

1. Default Hello Fellow Cigar smokers

Hello,
    My name is Tim and I need some help. I have been smoking cigars for about twenty years now
    and I have been in the buisness for over ten years and have attended the R.T.D.A. I am going to school. I am now teaching classes to the employees on cigars and need some input. I want to know what do you as customers think when you walk into the humidor about the knowledge of the sales person? What can we improve? and just overall information? I can be reached at futurehorsevettim@hotmail.com
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Make an effort to carry the high end Fuentes (Opus X, DC Maximus, Aņejo, etc...) Davidoffs and the high end Padrons (1964 & 1926).

I'm not going to email you and I doubt anyone else will either so you should check back here for suggestions.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Default Freebies bring me back

I once bought a full box of Chateau Fuente sun-grown , the shop owner then gave me 2 free stick's of his recommendation (Cusano 18 & Cusano 97 corojo) . I have since purchased each of those stick's from that shop . Now when I'm shopping for a full box , I go to his shop first because I know I'll get a couple sample's for free . Also try selling 5 pack's in-store at a discount from single purchase price . I rarely ever see sampler pack's in b&m stores .

someone who doesn't know anything about cigars isn't going to be able to sell cigars to another person who doesn't know anything. You're going to find the experienced smokers will enter your store already knowing what they like and what they will spend.

I just started smoking cigars regularly a few months ago and i can tell you I flat out refused to buy from a store when I asked the sales person for a suggestion and she said "well I don't smoke cigars so I can't really tell you anything, but the Acids sell really good." Conversely, I don't drink wine but went into a spirits store and was sold wine by a very knowledgable sales woman and I enjoyed it. I also went into a really good shop an hour from my hometown and the owner took me into the humidor and showed me around telling me about his favorite smokes, what he finds smooth, what he finds harsh, I find it hard to not buy a humidor full of smokes anytime i go in there.

Bottom line you're in a business and business is about building relationships, you need a staff that knows the product and is going to make the customer feel good about the purchase, That's how you make a one-time customer a regular customer..

5. Default

Be knowlegeable. I'm going to frequent the stores that can answer my questions.

Don't be pompous. Treat all your customers with respect, regardless of age, race, sex, or appearance. I don't go to one of my local shops because I always get a greater-than-thou feeling when I'm in there. I usually do my shopping in jeans and a tee shirt and I look very young, but I ain't lookin' for Swishers.

Make suggestions. I always make an effort to ask for a suggestion if I feel the salesperson is knowledgable. Last time I was at my favorite shop, I was selecting some sticks and the salesman said, "Have you tried these yet? From what you're picking, I think you'd like them."

Carry a good variety. A lot of cigar shops only carry expensive sticks. Carry good inexpensive sticks and good expensive sticks and you can bring in a lot of business. My favorite shop has the largest variety in the state.

Like CC86 said, carry the high end fuentes (and Hemingway short stories), davidoff, and padron. But if you don't do the above, I still won't go to your store very often.

6. Default

Superchuck said it all. There is nothing more infuriating (and ultimately doomed to failure) than a shop keeper who knows nothing about the products he/she is selling.

Know your stuff and NEVER compromise the reputation of your establishement by selling second rate cigars.

Having said that all this is pretty obvious isn't it? I'm sure you know all this if you've been in the business for so long? (And now teach as well!).

Still, all the best.
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

When I walk into a Humidor, I like orginization. Not just boxes thrown where ever. I like a salesperson who will walk through the humidor with you and explain about the different cigars. I.E. Mild, Medium, or Full Bodied, Maker, What other cigars they are similar to, etc.

knowledge my friend. that's what would impress me. if i knew that the salesperson knew what they were talking about, selling and whatnot, i would shop there more often. history of the cigars, history of the companies, what's good for newbies or seasoned FOGs.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

putting some poster outside is a good idea i guess
    sometimes, i don't want to get into a shop if i can't expect what they are selling

A five minute walk from Cigars International.

Personally, I'm a fan of the "Buy 3 get one free" and "buy 4 get two free" deals. Even if I end up spending a little bit more, it always feels good getting something for free. And I definately agree that friendly service and great selection is key. There are two stores back home that have treated me very well (despite looking even less than my age) and they have great selection, so I keep going back.

Thread Information