Thread: Humidity level at 70%

Default Humidity level at 70%

I bought the 65% heartfelt beads . I put them in my coolidor , but the RH in my coolidor has been at 70% for 2 weeks since I put the beads in . I even took out some of the beads but still no drop in RH . Could it be that the boxes and tray's I put in the coolidor were very well humidified ? I've read here that some shop's keep there humi's at 70% and higher so I guess this could be the reason . Has anyone else had any situations like this ? Could I have received the wrong bead's from Heartfelt ? They were in a bag marked 65% . Any help is always appreciated .

2. Default

Have you tried calibrating your hygrometer? It could be off...

I have the opposite problem, I have 65% beads as well, but my digital hygrometer has read 61-62% humidity. The digital hygrometers usually have a 2-3% accuracy problem.
    The beads are much easier though !
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar."
    -- Mark Twain

I forgot to add that I use a digital hygrometer .

I haven't personally used the beads (yet) but couldn't this be caused by them being a little too wet? Try drying them out a little and see what happens?

Calibrate your meter first and if it still reads high dry out the beads a little using a blow drier. Depending on your climate you may have to dry beads insted of wet them.

I've noticed the humidity fluctuates with the weather outside. If it rains, the humidity jumps up to 70%. I have the 65% beads too, and for the first few weeks my hygrometer read around 70%, so I don't think you will have anything to worry about. Over time, it will fluctuate but stay in the general range of "acceptable". Mine is reading 67% now.

I keep mine at about 70%-75% so you are OK at 70% I think. If it drops below 65% start to worry
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

9. Unhappy

My humidor dried out some cigars so I bought a digital hygrometer and filled it back up and now it reads 75%. Will this help moisten my cigars or am I continuing to damage them?

you filled what up, your humidifier? What type of humidifier do you use? 75% humidity is not bad for cigars, but it is best for the cigars to change humidity levels gradually. Let your cigars be and maybe the humidity will drop a little lower, gradually. You may want to invest in the beads that are so harped on and accepted here. It is pretty much worry free and convenient.

11. Talking

Yes I filled my humidifer up. Thankyou for the advice. Are these beads really that good?

It is not that they are THAT good, but they get the job done well. I mean if it works, don't fix it. I went ahead and bought them because they came recommended and I didn't want to use the hygrometer that came with the humidor. I think the beads are the only way to go, and they are inexpensive relative to the amount of money we spend on cigars. Check out the site, you can search Heartfelt beads. He just came out with a box that houses tubes, that will be my next purchase after buying a bigger humidor.

The higher your humidity the harder the cigar can be to smoke and your run more of a risk of mold. I'd try and keep your RH between 65% and 70%.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Jack
    The higher your humidity the harder the cigar can be to smoke and your run more of a risk of mold. I'd try and keep your RH between 65% and 70%.
    HEY!!! Look who's back, CigarJack!!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Default Follow up

Well , the RH seem's to have leveled out at 67% . Patience , patience , patience .

Thread Information