Thread: Preparing the hmidor for use?

1. Default Preparing the hmidor for use?

Sorry guys I know you get a lot of these, but I can't really understand what needs to be done. I have the humidor w/ a humidifier and the glycol solution. What is the first step??

Also I do not have a hygrometer do you guys recommend one?

The hygrometer is not necessary, but it is helpful to have one. All it does is give you a reading of the humidity level/temperature.
    From CigarAficionado: Take a new sponge -- make sure it is unscented and free of soap -- and wet it with a liberal dose of distilled water. Wipe down all the exposed wood, including any trays and dividers, and the interior lid. Avoid using a paper towel or a fraying cloth; these will literally leave a paper trail on the wood. After you've wiped down the wood, squirt the sponge with more distilled water, then place it inside the humidor on a plastic bag -- to avoid direct contact with the wood -- and close the lid.

Next, prepare your humidification device according to the manufacturer's instructions. Unless the manufacturer specifically states that you can use tap water, use only distilled water. Tap water contains minerals that will destroy most humidification systems by leaving deposits that will clog the humidor element. Once the humidification element is filled, be sure to wipe it down to remove all the excess water. Rest it on a hand towel for approximately 30 minutes.

Close the humidor with its humidifying element and the damp sponge, and leave it overnight. The next day, refresh the humidification device (it may not need it) and check the sponge. If it is fairly dry, add more distilled water. If it is very damp, leave it alone.

Let the humidor sit another night, and then remove the sponge and plastic bag. The walls of the humidor have now absorbed all the water they need, and now you can safely store your cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyp1121
    Sorry guys I know you get a lot of these, but I can't really understand what needs to be done. I have the humidor w/ a humidifier and the glycol solution. What is the first step??

Also I do not have a hygrometer do you guys recommend one?
    I hope a more seasoned smoker checks behind me to help you out, but let me give it a try. I did all kinds of reading over the net and in instructions from the dealer/manufacturer to find out exactly what you are asking. I did find a couple of differences in some of the answers. Here is what I did.

Before adding cigars:
    1. Take a rag/sponged dampened with distilled water and wipe down the inside of the humidor.
    2. Toss that "sponge" humidifier and order some Heartfelt Beads. In the mean time, place a shot glass of distilled water in the humidor.
    3. There are plenty of places to get a hygrometer. I got two, both digital, both with Temp and RH readings, one from a known internet (16.95 plus shipping) site and the other from wally-world (6.95 plus tax). I set them side-by-side in my humi for the first week. They both read the same most of the time. You choose.
    4. Receive beads and hygrometer.
    5. Install both into humidor. Take out the shot glass of water.
    6. Give it a day or two (some times a little longer) for the RH to settle.
    7. Add cigars.
    8. Enjoy.

Guys, please let us know if I missed anything.

Not that it is necessary, but a digital hygrometer is best in my opinion and recommended. I got a Credo. You can check out the digital models on a number of internet sites. The beads from Heartfelt industries also come recommended.

5. Default

So is the glycol solution not needed?

Also what do the beads do?

Thanks in advance

I personally wouldnt even wipe down the interior with water. Just set a shot glass of distilled water in it and leave it for a couple days to a week. I heard wiping it can potentially warp the wood because of the sudden change in moisture content, although I haven't seen this happen myself.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyp1121
    So is the glycol solution not needed?

Also what do the beads do?

Thanks in advance
    glycol and beads don't mix.

The beads hold and release mosture in small amounts and help level off the RH in the cooler/humi

Choose, one or the other. Either get the beads and let them regulate the humidity in your humidor. If you don't want to get the beads you can use the "sponge" humidifier with the propylene glycol/distilled water solution.

Default Wetting the wood...

directly MAY NOT be a good idea. It can cause warpage as Roham pointed out.

However...if your humidor is SOLID cedar then it probably won't hurt it for the initial conditioning. It's easy to see if your humi is made of a single layer of wood. Most inexpensive ones are.

If your humidor is a more costly one it may be a box within a box, e.g. a hardwood exterior lined with spanish cedar. If this is the case, you are asking for trouble if you wet the interior as previously stated. It will cause the interior lining to warp.

Also, regardless of the type of humidor, wetting ANY kind of wood causes the grain to become raised creating a somewhat rough surface.

If you have the patience to wait a week, do it as Roham suggested. Use a small glass filled with water or use a very damp, CLEAN sponge placed on a small tray or dish inside the humi ( a bit better ). Leave it closed for a week or so and the wood will take up the moisture slowly and naturally. You can then begin using the humidor to store cigars.

Always use distilled water.

Thread Information