Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to cigars, looking for a bit more diversity.

Default New to cigars, looking for a bit more diversity.

So, I've been smoking cigars for years. However, i've recently turned 18 (as in less then 2 months ago) which opens up whole new avenues in my tobacco related activities. Now that I am actually able to persue different cigars i've been experimenting but really dont have any clue which cigars i would like. So since i've started buying cigars i've been picking up something different every few days, just to poke around and see what i like.

Thus far i have enjoyed the Punch Royal coronations, which were my first purchas... and i will admit the silver tube did make me want to buy it. (also the 3.19 price tag didnt hurt) I really enjoyed these they're very mild and a pretty smooth smoke, which I like alot.

Then I decided to stick with the punch's and picked up a few Elites, which are very similer to the Royal Coronations, except cheaper. And I have since decided to always keep a few Punch's around just for an every day smoke.

This is when i decided to branch out a bit, and picked up a Romeo y Juliet Chuchill. Slightly stronger then the Punch's but I didnt think it was anything special. However, i did get a good hour and a half out of it.

Also smoked several Montecristo's cant remember exaclty which ones(Wont lie, i did steal them from my father), and they are possably the best cigar's i had ever smoked untill this evening.

So this evening I decided to try something completely different, and picked up 2 Helix Maduro X748's. I had before this evening been quiet shy around Marudo cigars. Not knowing much about them I simply stayed away from them. However after a quick google search I became very excited about these cigars. After just smoking my first Maduro cigar, I must say it was the best smoke of my life. A very rich taste, but not over powering. And so so smooth.

I guess im just looking for recomendations Both of Cigars that would be similer to those I have tried and cigars that are different. Just kinda exploring my tastes at this time I guess.

Also, yes i know my collection is quiet meek. But I did take about 20 minutes and make my self a humidor.

If you like Punch try their Gran Puro, they're pretty good. A couple good inexpensive ones I like are Padron 2000 or 3000's, or a Sancho Panza, all about $3-4 each. These are all available as maduros, I beleive. One of my favorite maduros is the Cohiba XV but it is about $8, and if you want to really get ripped off but smoke a great cigar, try a Graycliff Espresso at around $15-17. Tomorrow I'm going to try a Partegas Black, which I understand are supposed to be pretty good, too.

welcome to the board! i second the sancho panzas. also you might want to try some of the cigars from the Arturo Fuente line. the AF 858 is really good. its a lighter smoke put pretty flavorful.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

FPDoc77 Guest

Welcome...My personal favorite is the Oliva classic. I will try the Oliva Bold for monday night football. Funny enough I started with the punches also.

5. Default

I suggest leaning on your shopkeep. Mention a few sticks you've enjoyed and ask for some suggestions in your price range. If they're unable to throw together some cigars you might like, find another shop.

Whenever I visit a cigar shop, I usually pick out the sticks I want, then ask for a recommendation. I have ALWAYS been impressed by their picks!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    I suggest leaning on your shopkeep. Mention a few sticks you've enjoyed and ask for some suggestions in your price range. If they're unable to throw together some cigars you might like, find another shop.

Whenever I visit a cigar shop, I usually pick out the sticks I want, then ask for a recommendation. I have ALWAYS been impressed by their picks!
    The problem with this is that the only real shop around here was a tinderbox, which closed down a few months ago. So now there are only two places in the city that I know of thus far (exclusing the country clubs) that carry cigars. Two tobaco outlets with very poor selections. However, I did talk to the guy yesterday, and they do have 3000+ cigars with 3 closet humidor's coming in next week. Apparently they were supposed to be here a month ago, but were delayed because of the huricains. So I'll have a better selection in my area, but the employee's of these shops really dont know much.

Thanks for yall's advice though.

Just order online, you don't have to pay crappy taxes that way

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWidow
    Just order online, you don't have to pay crappy taxes that way
    . . . and the selection is much wider online
    Mavido,

I am in almost the same boat you are. I am anxious to try new smokes. However, I have no local shops to go to and browse, inquire, or buy from. Unfortunately for me it looks like that will not change here anytime soon. So, I have no sensible choice BUT to order online. The guys here have suggested some reputable vendors that I will be trying very soon. Do a search of the forums. I assure you there is plenty on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Westbrook
    . . . and the selection is much wider online
    Mavido,

I am in almost the same boat you are. I am anxious to try new smokes. However, I have no local shops to go to and browse, inquire, or buy from. Unfortunately for me it looks like that will not change here anytime soon. So, I have no sensible choice BUT to order online. The guys here have suggested some reputable vendors that I will be trying very soon. Do a search of the forums. I assure you there is plenty on the subject.

I really cant afford a box of cigars, and thats all i've found online. I also dont have a credit card or atm card... Its comming in the mail this week though... Kinda excited.

Yet good new's. Talking to some friends today, turns out that the Fox and Hound (an "english pub" in north carolina? i dont get it) Has a great selection, and is a pretty nice cigar bar. So I'll have to check that out.

I can't really afford boxes either, but you'll find there are good deals out there. Look for things like samplers and bundles, they are usually cheaper, or slowly collect singles. The people on this board can hook you up to if you get in good with them and you're not an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWidow
    The people on this board can hook you up to if you're not an asshole.
    DAMN IT! (some extra words)

FPDoc77 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mavido
    DAMN IT! (some extra words)
    Yea me too Im totally screwed.

I really cant afford a box of cigars, and thats all i've found online. I also dont have a credit card or atm card... Its comming in the mail this week though... Kinda excited.

Yet good new's. Talking to some friends today, turns out that the Fox and Hound (an "english pub" in north carolina? i dont get it) Has a great selection, and is a pretty nice cigar bar. So I'll have to check that out.

Word of warning - Fox and Hounds cigar prices are outrageous...

You're better off doing the CigarBid 5er auctions to try different cigars. Much cheaper...

CigarBid 5er Auctions

FPDoc77 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    Word of warning - Fox and Hounds cigar prices are outrageous...

You're better off doing the CigarBid 5er auctions to try different cigars. Much cheaper...

CigarBid 5er Auctions
    agreed

A five minute walk from Cigars International.

Mavido, I noticed you're in North Carolina, are there any JR's within a reasonable distance to you? I'm not sure how big your state is, but try looking up their outlet locations. I stopped at one on the way down to Florida, and was impressed with their big Cigar Room/Humidor.

JR Burlington
    2589 Eric Lane
    Burlington, NC 27215
    (Exit 143 on I-40)
    (336) 222-1300

Open 8am-9pm
    Everyday
    JR Selma
    67 JR Road
    Selma, NC 27576
    (Exit 97 on I-95)
    (919) 965-5055

Open 8am-9pm
    Everyday
    JR Statesville
    1515 E. Broad Street
    Statesville, NC 28625
    (Exit 50 on I-77)
    (704) 872-5300

Open 8am-9pm
    Everyday

www.jrcigar.com

16. Default

I really cant afford a box of cigars, and thats all i've found online.
    http://www.seriouscigars.com

These guys have a great selection of singles and a cool realtime product database.

Several other online shops have samplers which can be a good way to get a variety of cigars on the cheap:
    http://www.cigarsinternational.com
    http://www.thompsoncigar.com

When buying samplers, look for well-known brand names. There are a lot of samplers of "house brands" that sound an awful lot like good cigars...

Quote Originally Posted by Krautle87
    Mavido, I noticed you're in North Carolina, are there any JR's within a reasonable distance to you? I'm not sure how big your state is, but try looking up their outlet locations. I stopped at one on the way down to Florida, and was impressed with their big Cigar Room/Humidor.
    Yes i do know about JR and am very impressed by them. Honestly I would like nothing more then to take a trip out there. Its just that its almost a 2 hour drive to the closest one.

So going to JR isnt really a viable option except on special ocasions. But myself and some friends probly will be planning a trip out there in not to long a while.

pff, two hours, I drive two hours to buy groceries alot of times.

A five minute walk from Cigars International.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentChamber
    pff, two hours, I drive two hours to buy groceries alot of times.
    Where are you, Alaska?

More importantly, do you bleed gasoline?

No, but I do bleed something that is highly flamable.

Thread Information