40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glass

16 40.00%
  • Wood

24 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass door or Wood door

Default Glass door or Wood door

OK guys..... I need a little input. The wife and I are getting tired of looking at the cooler which is sitting in my dining room. So it is time for a new humidor.

What would your suggestion be for the front door of the cabinet humidor. I like the glass door but that also means that the inside would have to look nice also. If I went with the wood door, it wouldn't matter what the inside looked like.

Not sure if this is the exact one I will be getting but it is in my price range.

CheapHumidors.com

Any other site for humidor cabinets would also be appreciated

(I figured if Island Epicurean could do polls then so could I)

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114
    OK guys..... I need a little input. The wife and I are getting tired of looking at the cooler which is sitting in my dining room. So it is time for a new humidor.

What would your suggestion be for the front door of the cabinet humidor. I like the glass door but that also means that the inside would have to look nice also. If I went with the wood door, it wouldn't matter what the inside looked like.

Not sure if this is the exact one I will be getting but it is in my price range.

CheapHumidors.com

Any other site for humidor cabinets would also be appreciated

(I figured if Island Epicurean could do polls then so could I)

Class doors are nice, but I've seen cigars that have been bleached out due to UV rays getting in tthrough the glass. I'm thinking it's probably not a good thing....

If its going to be in direct sunlight I would advise against a glass door. Other than that its personal preference. I like to keep the inside of my humidor out of sight, but thats just me.

4. Default

LMFAO @ Tommy. Sorry man, when I first read the 'subject' I thought you were poking fun at IE and I started busting a gut!

I've heard good things about that humidor over on CP. I've purchased products from them before, they have really good customer service and want to make sure you're happy! In that area, you can't go wrong.

Go with the glass if your living room doesn't point towards direct sunlight. Based on what I've read, it really adds to the benefit of owning one of those humidors (having the glass if your sun conditions are ok).
    Last edited by godfather; 11-29-2005 at 01:00 AM.

Personally, I'd go for a wood door. I would just want to keep my cigars where it's 65-70/70, and dark. And, a wooden door I'm thinking would be lined with cedar too, giving you that much more surface to interact with the cigar environment. my 2 cents. Whatever you get, I'm sure you'll enjoy - gave me a laugh when you suggested your wife is tired of having a cooler in the dining room , so, I'll bet she'll enjoy it too.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

had to vote for the all wood

Ok, I really think glass (if the lighting works out) would be much more eligant(?)... maybe thats not the word, but im thinking from the way a glass door would look as opposed to a wooden, not nessicarily functionality. Because i dont have a clue about all that. But showing off your collection may be seen as being a bragart or show off by some, but its your HOME! your supposed to show off, you bought the big house, you got the beautiful wife, and you park the convertible out side for everybody to see... Your home is the place where your supposed to impress people.

Unless your cigars suck.. then by all means wood...

I have a glass door on mine, and I like it. I can pick my cigar without having to open the humidor to look. But if given the choice I would opt for a wood door because of reasons like Basil suggested...
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mavido
    Ok, I really think glass (if the lighting works out) would be much more eligant(?)... maybe thats not the word, but im thinking from the way a glass door would look as opposed to a wooden, not nessicarily functionality. Because i dont have a clue about all that. But showing off your collection may be seen as being a bragart or show off by some, but its your HOME! your supposed to show off, you bought the big house, you got the beautiful wife, and you park the convertible out side for everybody to see... Your home is the place where your supposed to impress people.

Unless your cigars suck.. then by all means wood...
    Yep, Tommy smokes crap so ya better go with wood

Mavido makes good points about if you want to use your humi as a nice piece of furniture and feel comfortable showing what ya got inside. I'm a coolerdor kinda guy myself BUT there are those who want a "nice" humi in their study or whatever. Sounds like Tommy, you're looking for a nice looking piece of furniture so I'd say go with what you think is going to look the best in your dining room along with your other furniture in that room.

I'm not as concerned as others are with the whole "sunlight" possible problem because most of your cigars would be in boxes anyway.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Wood.
    Remember to breathe

Default Wood

I'd go with wood to keep nosey visitor's from raiding your stash and to save my ear's from a tongue lashing from my mother every time she visit's , if she doesn't see it , she won't know it's there . Can it be locked ?

12. Default

I actually prefer the look of wood. I think it's distinctive enough that you recognize it as a humidor, without shouting "Look at me! I'm a humidor full of pretty cigars! Love me! Pay attention to me!".

And it helps hide the clusterfuck that is my humidor... Tubes of humidity beads, cigars angled every which way, candy bars to fill in gaps...

250 West !08th Street, NY, NY 10025 (if your so inclined to send me something)

I think the wood also has a better seal than glass.

I prefer the look of a glass door.

Default I would have to go with the glass...

in fact, I did. My home humi does have a glass lid. Though, I do plan to get an all wood one for my desk at the office.

I voted glass, but it's all mostly personal preference.

I've looked at the same humidor for a while and was thinking of picking it up. If I do I'm going with wood but that is because I have a 3 yr old boy, and more on the way, and

1. Don't need the finger prints
    2. If they don't notice them the better for me and my cigars
    3. My wife wants to get a dog, see #2
    4. I have a bunch of friends who like to mooch my sticks - again see #2

But if I didn't have those concerns I would probably go with glass because I could sit there and stare at those lovely little bundles of agricultural joy.

So I'm voting wood.

And please post what you decided, how you like it, etc.,

Either works fine as long as they are well sealed. For some reason they don't seem to seal the glass doors as well and some tend to leak.

20. Default

Most definitely wood. I don't trust glass. I agree with the sealing problem of some glass doors but most of all it's the light I'd be worried about.
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Thread Information