Thread: Help!!!

reaganyouth84 Guest

Default Help!!!

Ok, here is the deal. When I used my wireless connection I cannot use aim or access certain sites, but the internet works and I can access other sites. When I connect on dialup I can use aim and access the other sites. I need some help to get aim to work on my wireless setup. I don't know whats up.

-Mike

2. Default

Hmm. Try installing a product called GAIM. It's an open source AIM client I use on windows and linux.

It's possible the AIM client wants to do something the firewall is preventing.

The only other option I'm thinking of is maybe there are some "child safety" features on the wireless router's firewall that specifically prevent outgoing connections on certain ports. If this is the case, you may want to try connecting to the router using your web browser and rooting around for some configuration elements...

3. Default

I don't have AIM here at work (to tell you EXACTLY how to do this), but I know a quick way to resolve this issue.

Since "the internet" (web) works, then it sounds like you can make outbound connections on "port 80."

There is a 'Connection Preferences' section in AIM and I believe the default port is 5180. Go ahead and CHANGE the port from 5180 to 80 and click OK.

This should resolve your issue. If you still can't find the connection peferences area, let me know and I can let you know the exact steps to take when I get home.

reaganyouth84 Guest

Thanks guys. I don't know what was wrong with it the past few days. I got on today and fired up the computer and aim started working.

-Mike

Thread Information