Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New and Improved Newbie Sampler thread!

Default New and Improved Newbie Sampler thread!

ATTENTION NEWBIES: BEFORE YOU PM WHOEVER IS NEXT ON THE LIST, READ THE FIRST TWO POSTS OF THIS THREAD!

The Newbie Sampler Thread is temporarily suspended due to the temporary loss of some members in the rotation. We currently only have three participating at the moment, which is not enough to sustain the recent influx of newbies who are interested. We will resume the rotation when the other members are ready to rejoin the rotations, or we get a few more to join. Thanks, Eric

Welcome to the Newbie Sampler thread! This is for newbies only! Newbies, if you are interested, first read the rules in the next post, then PM whoever has (Now Up!) next to their name. To help keep up with things, post in the thread that you have sent a PM. Once the terms of the transaction have been agreed upon, PM me so that I can move to the next person on the list.

Also, if anybody wants to be part of the rotation, let me know.

Participants

cigarsarge
    ggiese (Now up!!! )
    nhcigarfan (trade pending with Pbobes)
    Eshaw99
    Bkcloud114 (temporarily on hiatus)
    Last edited by Eshaw99; 04-13-2006 at 05:22 PM.
    Have you ever thought about maybe turning off the TV, sitting down with your kids...and hitting them?

To explain how this works for those not familiar, I've cut and pasted the FAQ about it from CP. The Newbie Sampler Thread has been a long-running successful one there, so that's what I had in mind for here.

Newbie Sampler Thread FAQ

1. What is the Newbie Sampler Thread?

A: A place where a Newbie (or anybody actually) can trade for a variety of Cigars. This thread was started with the idea of getting a newbie to trade with an "experienced" guy who wanted to get some cigars. The Newbie would buy the old guy what he wanted (or send cash) and the "experienced" guy would send the newbie a nice package of assorted singles to get the newbie started on some new favorites. Minimum trade value is $50 but most FOGS can handle trades of $100 or more.

2. Why would I want to trade with these people?

A: You are looking to sample a large variety of smokes. You can either go and overpay for a bunch of singles or you could get involved with a trade, receiving top quality sticks from a personally cared for selection of cigars that are ready for you to smoke. It's your choice.

3. How do I know I will actually get my cigars?

A: The people trading here have been doing so for quite some time, and are not going to screw around with a good thing for all parties (and not going to let anyone else screw it up for them), in order to screw you out of a few dollars.

4. How do I know I am not getting ripped off with a bunch of dog rockets?

A: Again, read the BB and you will get a feeling for those who trade here. May one or two of the cigars you receive be a dog rocket to you? Yes it is possible since taste is subjective, but how long do you think someone is going to be able to continue to trade if they are not giving fair (and to be perfectly honest you usually get MORE than fair value) in their trades. Why would anyone want to trade with them?

5. I haven't been around here long, but I have been smoking for _____ and I don't think I really should be qualified as a newbie.

A: You are. Get over it.

6. So how do I go about doing this? Who do I trade with?

The current trader (usually has "(Now Up!)" by their name), is the person that you would contact. You initiate a trade by sending a PM or E-Mail to that trader simply stating that you are interested in a Newbie Sampler Trade and any additional pertinent information including budget constraints. (i.e. "looking to do a Newbie trade in the ballpark of $60 - $80 dollars").

If for some reason that trader is unable to accomodate you (i.e. budget amounts don't work out or trader can not accomodate type of sampler desired), you move on to the next person on the list until someone can meet your needs.

7. Where can I get more information?

A: Yup, you’re a newbie. If you have a question, feel free to ask away. Most people will give you very good information.
    So, for example, you might see:

1. Eshaw99 (now up!)
    2. CoventryCat86
    3. ggiese
    4. cigarsarge
    5. KayakinBoy

If you were interested in a trade, you would contact me. After our initial contact has been made and the terms of the trade set, you would then see:

1. Eshaw99
    2. CoventryCat86 (now up!)
    3. ggiese
    4. cigarsarge
    5. KayakinBoy

The next newbie would then PM CC and begin working out their trade, and so on. When a participant has completed a trade with a newbie, he will post that his trade is done in the thread, and would be eligible again to do a new trade when his name comes back around. If for some reason there is a flood of newbies, and everybody on the list is engaged in a trade that is not yet completed, you would have to wait until a trade has been completed. We really don't need the participants to be doing multiple newbie trades at the same time (unless they want to).

Once the list is set, I'll edit the first post in the thread and put the list there so we can get this thing rolling.

Eric
    Have you ever thought about maybe turning off the TV, sitting down with your kids...and hitting them?

3. Default

I'll play.

Eric, if you get this going i'd give it a whirl...

edit, not if but when.

ForgedByFire Guest

Im in just pm me...I can get my hands on just about anything. Would love a small trade with some of the vets here to see what I like vs what they like.

I'd still like to get one or two more guys for the list...anybody?

We'll probably start this in the next day or two. However, if anybody else wants in the rotation, let me know.

As a newbie, can we buy the cigars or do we have to trade for them?
    End of line.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWidow
    Read the paragraph under question 6...

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWidow

Read Paragraph #1 too....

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedByFire
    Im in just pm me...I can get my hands on just about anything. Would love a small trade with some of the vets here to see what I like vs what they like.

This is not the way it works... Please disregard this post...

If you can get your hands on just about anything at a reasonable price - this is not for you.... It is about getting a pack of cigars you probably wouldn't be able to get (for whatever reason).

You PM the FOG with an idea of the amount you are willing to spend - the FOG lets you know what he wants (gift card, cigar order, cash - whatever). It is not a situation where you send some cigars to the FOG and he sends some back... It is more like a surprise pack...

As soon as I hear back from KB and nhcigarfan, we'll get started

Ok, we've officially started. Newbies...bring it!

I'll give it a try.....

Mavido and I have a trade pending, ggiese is now up

16. Default

Some newbie should jump at the chance to trade with gg. He'll treat you right.

17. Default Calling All Newbies

Bump for the newbies. Lets get this thing going. The sarge has a few nice sticks for a newbie trade.

can we maybe sticky this??

19. Default

Bump...For the newbies

I'd like to get in on this, but I don't know if I can blow a whole 50 bucks right now. But as soon as I can I'll be all over this thread
    End of line.

Thread Information