Thread: The Dominican and Cigars, and You.

Lightbulb The Dominican and Cigars, and You.

But more specifically, ME. There is a little trip in the works to the land of the free, and I was just wondering--since I know some of you have been down there before--if cigars are relatively inexpensive in the D.R..

Any figures or examples - price comparisons?

Thanks very muchly.

bigpoppapuff Guest

where are you going to be in the D.R.??.....
    i've been to all parts of the island,santo domingo,santiago,puerta plata,punta cana,and juan dolio...i've been at least a dozen times.....
    most of what you'll see for sale are leon jimenes or la aurora...or garbage!!!
    depending on where you're staying,you might find some fonseca or fuente...
    ......do not buy what you're told are cuban...i assure you,they're fake!!!...

if by some chance you can get to santiago (which is the center of the cigar industry) you should be able to get a tour of the la aurora factory......and don't forget to drink presidente beer...MMMMMM....

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    where are you going to be in the D.R.??.....
    i've been to all parts of the island,santo domingo,santiago,puerta plata,punta cana,and juan dolio...i've been at least a dozen times.....
    most of what you'll see for sale are leon jimenes or la aurora...or garbage!!!
    depending on where you're staying,you might find some fonseca or fuente...
    ......do not buy what you're told are cuban...i assure you,they're fake!!!...

if by some chance you can get to santiago (which is the center of the cigar industry) you should be able to get a tour of the la aurora factory......and don't forget to drink presidente beer...MMMMMM....
    Thanks for the reply. I'll be in Puerta Plata, namely. Can you give me relative price figures?

bigpoppapuff Guest

honestly,i don't know...i'm in the biz and don't need to buy cigars....they're decently priced,but remember,just because they're made in the D.R. doesn't mean they need to give 'em away.
    if you're going to be in puerta plata,you're pretty close to santiago.......call the la aurora factory and ask for a tour...you won't be sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    honestly,i don't know...i'm in the biz and don't need to buy cigars....they're decently priced,but remember,just because they're made in the D.R. doesn't mean they need to give 'em away.
    if you're going to be in puerta plata,you're pretty close to santiago.......call the la aurora factory and ask for a tour...you won't be sorry...
    Thanks for the tips, man! Will do that.

6. Default

Im assuming that you will be staying in an all-inlusive... maybe breezes?

Chances are, the resort will have a bunch of tables setup one not lined to the rim with cigars. The guys working it will let you sample some. And you will most definently see glasstop cohibas, and/or cellophane wrapped bundles of cohibas. Take your time and look around, you may find something worth smoking. I paid $8 for a bundle, I have no idea what they are, but they were definently smokeable.

My suggestion, skip the premade cigars, and go straight to the guy rolling. The cigars he makes, for me, were the best cigars there (nc of course). Something about that dominican tobacco that just had some nice flavor to it.

The place I stayed in DR had a cigar shop that sold legit Cubans at very high prices. Plenty of fakes and bundles could be found on the beach. I got a decent buy on some AVO's at the airport in the duty free shop. You are not going to find super great prices on anything. I did get a box of FAUX Glasstop Cohibas for $20 the guy started at $200. I figured for $20 for a box of 25 I got a good bundle cigar in a glass top case.

Thread Information