Thread: House Brand Vs. Name Brand

Default House Brand Vs. Name Brand

I am very new to this forum. From my user name, you can maybe guess that I am from Salt Lake City and am an life-long Oakland Raiders fan. I picked up on cigar smoking a few years back and have been ever increasingly more obsessed over time. I enjoy fine bourbon, fly-fishing, music and collecting several items. I also hold Clint Eastwood in high regard; hence my Avitar.

Here is my question: I have purchased several name brand (low, mid and high end) cigars and know what I like. Depending on mood, setting and occasion, I enjoy a full range of flavors from mild to strong, sweet to woody etc. I have never tried catalog/house brands though. Can you share any experiences with these brands (i.e. Thompson, Famous Smokes, Corona). What is good and what can be compared to more expensive brand label cigars?
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

2. Default

The only really decent house brand I have smoked is JR Ultimates. They are nice.

JR Ults are one of my favorites. The Fuente made Holts house brands are good, at $80-100 a box, they aren't the cheapes either - if you like Fuente anyways.

Hey there SLC,
    My preference has always been the family brands, have not been real impressed with JR alternates, but to each his own! I have heard a lot of complaints about Thompson's but do not have personal experience. Do you go to Jeannies or Havanna Brothers in SLC? I've done some consulting at the VA Hospital in SLC and thought very highly of both shops, both seemed to have a nice selection and knowledgeable tobacconists.
    Hap

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    Hey there SLC,
    My preference has always been the family brands, have not been real impressed with JR alternates, but to each his own! I have heard a lot of complaints about Thompson's but do not have personal experience. Do you go to Jeannies or Havanna Brothers in SLC? I've done some consulting at the VA Hospital in SLC and thought very highly of both shops, both seemed to have a nice selection and knowledgeable tobacconists.
    Hey, Hap-

I have been to Havana Bros. a few times. I live on the south end of the valley so I do most of my cigar shopping at the Tinder Box or online. The franchise owner of the Tinder Box in SLC is the greatest! Thanks for the warning on the Thompsons.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nic
    JR Ults are one of my favorites. The Fuente made Holts house brands are good, at $80-100 a box, they aren't the cheapes either - if you like Fuente anyways.
    Excellent advice nic!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Default Uneventful smokes

I've had the Thompsons that came as part of a gift set with a humidor , lighter and cigars . They had black bands with white lettering and a red outline in a robusto size , nothing special , not harsh , just an uneventful smoke . I did smoke all 25 that came in the set , they were all pretty bland but none were plugged . I've also tried the Free Cuba brand that Cigarsinternational.com sells , nothing special either . So my experience with these 2 were nothing that would get me to buy more . However taste is subjective so you'll never really know unless you try some .

8. Default

I'm curious to try the CI Legends...

They're a "house brand" blended by known names.

Thread Information