Thread: best humidification

Default best humidification

Hey guys what is best to use in your humidor distilled water or what???

I heard you should only be using Distilled water other wise your sponge will be clogged in no time from the calcium and minerals etc. I also heard humidity beads work well although I haven't used them yet. I hear you just put a package of beads in your humidor and they stabilize the humidity at 65%. You never have to add or remove water I hear....

Roham

I use distilled water. works fine for me so far. Definitely don't use tap water for the reasons Roham describes above.

Default Yes! Distilled water........

and you can go one further if you like.

You may have noticed in your local shops or on line that some vendors are selling humidifier solutions or liquids pre-bottled.

These solutions are merely distilled water mixed 50 / 50 with propylene glycol. Propylene glycol or "PG" can be purchased at most any drug store. You may have to request a special order. Ask the pharmacist.

PG when mixed with water and added to most humidifier elements has the ability to release water for humidification when rh drops below 70% and actually absorb humidity when it goes above 70%. It does this by forming a bubble of PG in your humidifier's element enclosing water in it. When the rh goes below 70% it allows water to the surface to evaporate and when the rh goes above 70% it takes it back in.

PG is odorless and tasteless and is commonly used in the food industry as a preservative. Used in a humidifier it is inert and harmless to your smokes although you don't want to spill it on your cigars. You shouldn't drink it either! Remember, mix it 50 / 50 with distilled water to use in your humidifier.

As Roham mentioned, the humidifier beads work very well too. You can actually buy specific formulations to maintain either 65% or 70% rh. The brand name of the beads is Climmax Premier. Yes....two m's in CliMMax.

Of course none of this means that you have to have PG or beads. Straight distilled water may work for you just as it is. Give it a try and see how it goes.

For humidifiers using sponge, oasis material or clay, a 50-50 mixture of propylene glycol and distilled water should be used. This will automatically stabilize your humidity at 70%. The newer high tech humidifiers using acrylic beads or units such as the water pillow should be moistened with distilled water only. The mineral content in the tap water in my area is so high that it can virtually destroy a humidifier within a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Roham
    You never have to add or remove water I hear....

Roham
    This is incorrect, the beads will release moisture to the humi over time. The beads will ultimately give off all of the moisture they hold and will need to be "re-charged" with distilled water to continue to work.

I use the bottled liquid from my tobacco store, works great for me and its cheap. I have heard rave reviews from cigar afficiano's regarding beads and strips. I have to pick some up!!

Thread Information