Thread: Temperature settings

Default Temperature settings

I'm a new member in the form. Several months ago Ireceived a humidor from a friend that got out of cigars. Poor bastard. Anyway, as I was cementing my love of handmade puros, I found that some collectors don't stick to the 70/70 rule.

What are the benefits or hazards of storing cigars at cooler temperatures? Is this a good idea for aging cigars? Does anyone really do this?

I'm currently aging a box of Montecristo platinum toros and just wondred about other aging strategies.

Look forward to hearing from you.
    A good smoke, good bagpipes, and tasty scotch. I'm happy.

bigpoppapuff Guest

most houses these days (in winter) are in the 65-68 range....that's fine....
    i try to keep my cigars in the 62% range.....i haven't strived for 70 in years...

3. Default

If you store them at less than 70 degrees F there is less chance of beetle eggs hatching ,if you store them at less than 70% Rh then they will smoke much better . I personally keep my cigars around 62 to 65 %Rh and usually less than 70 degrees F. This is only my opinion,others here will have varying opinions and thats cool. Take all the info and make your dercision based on all info.

FACT- keep your cigars above 70 F and 70bRh and they will smoke like pure shit

K7
    The older I get ,the better I was

Smoke 'Em If Ya Got 'Em and if you don't, Get 'em at:
    http://www.buyshakespeares.com

5. Default

I keep my cigars at 58-62 percent humidity and 65-67 degrees. My cigars age and smoke very well at these levels.

I live in an area where rh is usually below 50% - right now it's 23. So, I keep my cigars around 70rh. The temp varies between 60-70. On the humidity, our local rh seems to offset problems arising from keeping a 70 in the humidor; as soon as a cigar is removed from a box, it starts drying out.

Since you live in Ohio though, keeping 60-65 rh is probably perfect.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Thanks for the help re: rh

How about those that set their temperatures closer to freezing? I have read about this in a few places. It's not the norm, but is there a benefit. I imagine it takes out the possibility for worms, but it is harder to keep the humidity level up with a colder temperature.

The source was a fairly reputable collector as I understand, but the name escapes me. What are the benefits of this. Should we all be placing fine smokes for age in the freezer next to steaks and veggies?

bigpoppapuff Guest

keeping your cigars in near freezing temps is 100% wrong......end of discussion....

room temp......62-65%rh.......

9. Default

bigpoppapuff said it right........near freezing is stupidity at it's finest.

Default Mmmmm. Frozen peas.

Damn! So I should take the cubans out from under the frozen peas?

It did seem odd to take the tobacco out of its element like that. But then again, who am I to question the "expert". I like mine room temperature when I light thanks. Am I the only one that's heard ths? If I recall it was in a CA article either last year or 04.

I wonder if you stick your tongue to a frozen cigar will it stick? Call the fire department!

11. Default

Alawys remember that just because a man runs a tobacco shop does not automatically mean he knows shit about cigars. The owner of our local T-Box is a great busnessman but he does not smoke cigars . Listen to what Bigpoppapuff and The Master say ,they are hardcore cigars guys from way back.
    The older I get ,the better I was

Thread Information