Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the forum

1. Default

Find yourself a good local shop and use it.

Tell them what you've tried and liked (or start with some of the above-mentioned brands) and ask for a few suggestions you might like.

I personally suggest buying as many single sticks as you can right now and not going for deals on boxes. Your tastes are likely to change the first few months you start smoking good cigars, so you don't want to get stuck with half a box of something you don't like.

I find walking in to a shop with a list is tough. You never know what any given shop will have at any given time.

Don't be afraid to ask for suggestions. I don't think it makes you look like a noob, I think it makes you look like someone looking to expand horizons. Noobs buy whatever was in the last issue of CA

Quote Originally Posted by illilli
    I'm sorry George, but I just find it hard to believe that a $20.00 Cigar is going to be that much better than 3 $7.00 Cigars - taste for dollar. I truly hope that I am shocked and awed enough by the next $20.00 cigar I smoke, but I am a little skeptical.

Besides, I don't have a big budget for the super premiums having a family with a 2-year old and another one one the way (both adopted though). Maybe, I'll get some surprises in my newbie sampler, though?

I'm probably not sophisticated enough to EVEN tell the difference between a $20 and $7 cigar, so I better wait a while perhaps.

Your Avatar says it all!!!

Do yourself a favor - when you're in a really bad mood - pick up a Davidoff Anniversario #2 (about $18), and pour yourself a nice single malt scotch... If you're not in a different place within 15 minutes, something is seriously wrong with you...

And then compare that experience to three $7.00 cigar episodes...

Blog Entries

Alright, I will do that. I can go to a different place without much help, so I shouldn't have any problem!

I do trust your word ggiese. I've been reading a lot of posts with your name on them. I even read this one thread where it looked like quite a "I love George"-fest. I'm excited to try one of those Davidoff's now!
    Last edited by illilli; 01-12-2006 at 07:59 PM.
    puro pot pass VI loser

bigpoppapuff Guest

sorry,i have to agree with illllliiiilllliii......if you find a terrific cigar for $7...and there are plenty of them.....when we're each done...you with your $21 cigar...i still have two remaining.

there are lots of $7-8 cigars that i'd take instead of an opus x...or a perdomo silvio....

preferido's from aurora are a different story..

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    sorry,i have to agree with illllliiiilllliii......if you find a terrific cigar for $7...and there are plenty of them.....when we're each done...you with your $21 cigar...i still have two remaining.

there are lots of $7-8 cigars that i'd take instead of an opus x...or a perdomo silvio....

preferido's from aurora are a different story..

...or Cohiba Esplendido's, ya bastid...

6. Default

I haven't smoked it yet, but the owner of Cigar King is Skokie, IL recommended the Ashton Cabinet to go with Scotch as a medium cigar. Looking forward to opening the Talisker 175th anniversary single malt possibly to accompany it.

7. Talking

Illilli this is an amazing time because you have the chance to really enoy lots of differnt cigars. Go to your local shop and let the guy know what you are smoking and then go from there. My first real cigar was Fuente Hemingway corona. It was amazing and I thought I had found the only cigar for me but there is so much out there for you to try. Just enjoy and worry about pricey cigars latter.
    "Sure, after a meal there is nothing like a good cigar." Blondie says to Tuco in acknowledging the lie he told about his Brother.
    The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

Thread Information