Thread: Humidifier problem/question

Default Humidifier problem/question

Hi all,

I have need of some assistance. Is it possible that bloom can form on the humidifier or is it potentially some other problem. I just got a new Humidor for Christmas and recently when I opened the humidifier to add some water I noticed a white fungus/fluff. It has no other colour and when I noticed it I washed out the humidifier with denatured alcohol to clear it up... still it seems to have appeared again. I am using distilled water of course. Any advice or thoughts... is this normal? Could it just be oils in the humidifier (like on cigars).? Thanks for any feedback/experiences on this matter.

Cheers,

-W.

Bloom is not white fungus/fluff!!! That is mold!!! Your Humi is too wet!!! Take any and all cigars out, check each one to insure the mold isn't on any of them!!! Buy some beads to control the humidity level. Let your humi dryout!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeze
    Bloom is not white fungus/fluff!!! That is mold!!! Your Humi is too wet!!! Take any and all cigars out, check each one to insure the mold isn't on any of them!!! Buy some beads to control the humidity level. Let your humi dryout!!!

Hmm...Thanks! I'll do that..

The odd thing is that it is inside the humidifier, not on the cigars or humidor itself and the humidity is only 68%. (I am using a good quality electronic hygrometer)

I'll check all the cigars, soak the humidifier in denatured alcohol again but let it completely dry out afterwards and use some beads in the meantime, if I can find any.

Should I maybe get a different humidifier if it is doing that... or?

any additional thoughts?

Thanks again,

-W.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/Beads.htm

This is a great place to buy beads and these are all you will need for humidification needs!!!
    I use the 65%, but both 65 and 70 are good.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/Beads.htm

This is a great place to buy beads and these are all you will need for humidification needs!!!
    I use the 65%, but both 65 and 70 are good.

Very Cool, thanks for the link!

Blog Entries

Yes Monk, Cheeze is right, go with the beads....
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Default Update!

Well it was only in the humidifier. I cleared out the Cigars and checked them carefully and there was no fungus on them. the Humidity in the Humidor is 65% and the Temp is 70°F so that should be fine for now... I'll be getting some beads asap.

One last question, I have noticed on some Cigars previously a slight greenish discolouration at the shop in a few places although it doesn't look fungusy more like a stain. Should I watch out for that as well when buying? Thanks for all the help!

-W.

I think that is a result of the aging process and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I think that is a result of the aging process and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    Phew... I'm in full panic mode these days ;)

Thanks again...

-W.

Default ordered!

Sweet, just ordered some beads in the tube for a 25-50 cigar humidor at 65%. I can't wait!!!

-W.

Thread Information