Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum

Blog Entries

Default New to the forum

Hello, I noticed that several people have introduced themselves here and I thought I would do the same.

I have recently become a huge cigar fan. Now, I have smoked cigars off and on all my life (I'm 43), but then, we all know there is a magic difference between smoking cigars casually and smoking them enjoyingly, almost lovingly. Every year, we go on vacation to a local area lake. Every year, my buddy brings cigars, which we smoke each evening. So, I've been smoking Montecristo's and La Glorias and other such grade cigars (Med-Full) for years. I really enjoyed smoking them during the evenings over many drinks. In fact, that is one of the things I really enjoy about going to the lake. I never really thought much about it or had considered smoking cigars every week or every day even. A short while back, I took a trip to Germany and while there, we bought some cuban cigars; RyJs Tubos (Med) of some kind, to be more specific. DAMN! Those cigars were so good! I mean, it was a little like my eyes opened up for the first time and I realized that there was a lot more to cigar smoking than just enjoying a few once a year. I really, really liked smoking cigars, and good cigars.

Well, I came back to the states and bought a box of cigars and that was the beginning of my love of smoking cigars. Since then, I have become more and more enamored with smoking cigars and have been anxious to try as many different kinds as I possibly can. Now, I smoke 3 or 4 a week, and I am truly enjoying it. Yes, I am a fairly "new" cigar smoker, but I feel like I've been smoking them all of my life.

My current favorite cigar is the 5 Vegas Double Corona (6 x 48). I'm sorry, it is such a tasty cigar and it doesn't cost all that much. I'm waiting to try something else that will knock this one off as my favorite, so if you have a good suggestion, please let me know. I enjoy a med-full cigar and I like them in the 6 x 50 size the most.

I'm glad I found this forum. I don't know how often I will post, but I enjoy reading what everyone has to say about cigars. It's nice to meet you.
    puro pot pass VI loser

Welcome.....

Moheganson Guest

Welcome!! You may not think you have a lot of experience with cigars but you do. You've smoked enough non-Cubans to be able to appreciate Cuban cigars which in my opinion is the way to approach it. If someone who is brand new to cigars smokes a Cuban cigar chances are they will not like the experience at all.

Now, this is not to say that Cubans cigars are the BEST, they're great but to each his own.

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke!

4. Default

Your username makes me dizzy.

I'm sure, as you spend some time here, you'll find several brands you enjoy as much as the 5 Vegas...

5. Default

Greetings..Check out the Newbie Sampler Thread. It's a good way to get to sample a variety of cigars.

Welcome from Wisconsin. Give the Torano Exodus 1959 (gold band) double corona a try.
    Remember to breathe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Porthos
    Welcome from Wisconsin. Give the Torano Exodus 1959 (gold band) double corona a try.
    Thanks Baron, I'll give the Toranos family a try and let you know what I think. The price doesn't seem to bad. I found this 5-stick sampler which I will try out:

http://www.elighters.com/5cctexdc.html
    puro pot pass VI loser

Welcome!!!

Another reasonably price nice cigar in that flavor profile is the Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte - they are a nice smoke for $3...

9. Default

Padron 1000's series' are good, reasonable smokes, as well...

Welcome from the UK
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    Welcome!!!

Another reasonably price nice cigar in that flavor profile is the Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte - they are a nice smoke for $3...
    Thanks ggiese! The Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte looks tasty. I've got to get in a big order to CI this week. I'm going to buy 4 sets of five based on whatever I get recommendations for from these posts. The Madrid (6.1 x 54) 5-Pack is only $16.00 from CI. I'll give that a try.
    puro pot pass VI loser

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    Padron 1000's series' are good, reasonable smokes, as well...
    Thanks SuperChuck! Do you recommend the Maduro or Regular? Also, is the Padron 1000s series the one without any numbers; I've noticed 2000 to 6000, but didn't see any 1000. (I guess that is because I am a noob?) There are a lot of selections available from Padron. Can you give me a specific recommendation? What do you have in your humidor from Padron for example, if you don't mind telling?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    puro pot pass VI loser

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by illilli
    Thanks SuperChuck! Do you recommend the Maduro or Regular? Also, is the Padron 1000s series the one without any numbers; I've noticed 2000 to 6000, but didn't see any 1000. (I guess that is because I am a noob?) There are a lot of selections available from Padron. Can you give me a specific recommendation? What do you have in your humidor from Padron for example, if you don't mind telling?
    Sorry, but 1000s series' I meant the 2000-6000.

Tell you the truth, I can barely tell the difference between the maduros and the naturals. I think I like the maduros a little better, but they're all fair game...

I tend toward the 2000 & 3000... But I tend to lean toward smaller cigars...

Do you recommend the Maduro or Regular?
    Maddie. 3000 Maddie to be exact. After a year of rest in the humi they get even better.

Hey, I remember you! Welcome!!

Personally, my favs so far are:

Carlos Torano Signature line
    Perdomo2 Cameroon--The red banded one (just got 10 torpedos for $14 on C-bid. yeah biatches!)
    RP Vintage 90 or 92

and if you like a light one, The Ashton Classic line.

Personally, I haven't smoked any Cubans yet, but I've heard that their flavor profile is different than anything ever smoked before.

To echo, To each his own!

By the way, did you notice that your name is symmetrical? it spells the same thing backwards.
    Last edited by TheVitaleMob; 01-11-2006 at 07:05 AM.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Pomegranates: 0
    Funky Chickens: 2

Welcome to the board. Check out the Newbie sampler thread if you wanna try a good variety.
    http://www.cigarsmokers.com/showthread.php?t=2924

I'm glad I did it.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Also, I appreciate all the suggestions. I'm pumped to go out and buy some of these and smoke them. My group of buddies, while they may buy or have some decent cigars, are pretty happy to buy $.97 cent crap..., er I mean cigars and smoke them all day. So, I appreciate hearing about some good brands, that although aren't SUPER pricey, ARE still good smokes.
    puro pot pass VI loser

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Also, I appreciate all the suggestions. I'm pumped to go out and buy some of these and smoke them. My group of buddies, while they may buy or have some decent cigars, are pretty happy to buy $.97 cent crap..., er I mean cigars and smoke them all day. So, I appreciate hearing about some good brands, that although aren't SUPER pricey, ARE still good smokes.

Stick around - we'll spoil ya... Pretty soon you'll only want to smoke those $20 beauties!!!

Blog Entries

I'm sorry George, but I just find it hard to believe that a $20.00 Cigar is going to be that much better than 3 $7.00 Cigars - taste for dollar. I truly hope that I am shocked and awed enough by the next $20.00 cigar I smoke, but I am a little skeptical.

Besides, I don't have a big budget for the super premiums having a family with a 2-year old and another one one the way (both adopted though). Maybe, I'll get some surprises in my newbie sampler, though?

I'm probably not sophisticated enough to EVEN tell the difference between a $20 and $7 cigar, so I better wait a while perhaps.
    puro pot pass VI loser

I'm sorry George, but I just find it hard to believe that a $20.00 Cigar is going to be that much better than 3 $7.00 Cigars - taste for dollar. I truly hope that I am shocked and awed enough by the next $20.00 cigar I smoke, but I am a little skeptical.

Besides, I don't have a big budget for the super premiums having a family with a 2-year old and another one one the way (both adopted though). Maybe, I'll get some surprises in my newbie sampler, though?

I'm probably not sophisticated enough to EVEN tell the difference between a $20 and $7 cigar, so I better wait a while perhaps.

Oh you can tell!!!
    Knowing the BOTL here you will get spoiled!!!

Thread Information