Thread: Web guys, I need some help

Exclamation Web guys, I need some help

Ok, as some of you know, I created a web site for newbies several months ago called The Cigar BB Newbie Guide. Also, if you've visited it, you can tell I suck ass at web design. I don't know how to do it, and although I created the site to be not flashy but informative, I admit it looks like crap.

Here's my proposal. I need someone who knows what they're doing to help me overhaul the site. I'll supply the information that I want on the page, and you web guys can take whatever visual poetic license you want. Rod, the owner of CigarPass, hosts the site for me, so I don't need a server. I just need someone who knows how to make a good web page to design one for me.

To whoever is willing to help me out, please PM me. I can't pay you, but I can send you some cigars for your trouble. I would also give you a design credit on the site. Also, you'll get a nice warm feeling in the cockles of your heart for helping out a bunch of newbies.

If interested, let me know.

Thanks,

Eric Shaw
    Have you ever thought about maybe turning off the TV, sitting down with your kids...and hitting them?

Blog Entries

Oh I love that list of people to study the bad boys song in the background is funny

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Blog Entries

PM sent as well.

Ok everybody, I managed to figure this out on my own. Thanks however, to all that offered to help. Click on the link in my sig to check out the new page.
    Have you ever thought about maybe turning off the TV, sitting down with your kids...and hitting them?

Blog Entries

I would get rid of the /NEWBIE~1/ in the URL's as search engine spiders might get confused with the ~1. You would probably get better results by moving everything up a directory and just getting rid of /NEWBIE~1/.

Looks great Eric........

You really should us pic somewhere on the web site.......

I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848
    I would get rid of the /NEWBIE~1/ in the URL's as search engine spiders might get confused with the ~1. You would probably get better results by moving everything up a directory and just getting rid of /NEWBIE~1/.
    I tried to do that, but I couldn't figure it out. I'll send you a PM with some info and maybe you can help me.

Default Redesign Still Needed

Your website still need a redesign.I can volunteer to do it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkay
    Your website still need a redesign.I can volunteer to do it for free.
    that's really nice mrkay - but...
    1) who the hell are you (as a person)
    2) who the hell are you (to critique)
    3) i think eric has done a fine job with his web site
    4) you have no credibility or references

so while i'm sure eric appreciates your volunteering, i just thought i'd throw my .02 out there.

sidebar... i think your profile needs a redesign...
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

I still don't know how to get rid of the /NEWBIE~1/

Quote Originally Posted by Eshaw99
    I still don't know how to get rid of the /NEWBIE~1/
    That usually happens when something converts a file or directory name from a windows (256 char length) back to an old DOS or early Windows running under DOS (8 char length) format. Do you remember doing anything or using a DOS based conversion or copy tool or command that might have caused that to happen? I haven't seen this in years.

The way to fix it is to FTP to your web server using native Windows or UNIX and rename the folder manually. You might have to reestablish the links with your html editor. You can ftp to your server by typing

ftp://www.cigarbbguide.com

and giving your administrative login and password. That should get you a useable explorer-like window that you can use to rename the folder on the server.

Or you can download the utility called "NetDrive" (runs under native Windows and is free) that will let you map a drive letter to your server remotely. From there you ought to be able to rename the folder. This is a little more involved but really comes in handy for transferring files from your PC to your web server. You can get it at

http://www.acs.uwosh.edu/novell/netdrive.htm

At least that's my guess. Make sure you back all your web source files up before you start screwing with it.

Thread Information